Planting for woodducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Planting for woodducks

Postby dusky99 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 am

I was looking for some suggestions on what to plant around a small wooded pond for woodducks. Woodducks are the most common duck where i hunt and they are very plentifull. Has anyone ever planted just for woodducks??
dusky99
hunter

Re: Planting for woodducks

Postby waterfowler9 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Maybe a few oak trees would do the trick. Rice and millet never fails for all species
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby topdogjosh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 am

Plant a few 50# bags of corn right out there in the water!
topdogjosh
hunter

Postby dusky99 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:57 pm

LOL. I could tell "The Man" Im just feedin the catfish.
dusky99
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:27 pm

widgeon grass is good for anything. it allows for lots of small plants and animlas to also exist just overall making a pond more attractive to most wildlife...plus the other ducks sure wont mind.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Yeah I Plant 50 lb bags of corn about two feet off the shore about a month before season aand then keep dumping corn until season starts
duckman27
hunter

Postby kysupernova » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Seriously !!!!!!! :no: :no: :no:
kysupernova
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:35 pm

I put the corn out to keeps the ducks there because sixty woodies on a small pond makes the acorns go away pretty fast. I keep it legal and stop two weeks before season opens
duckman27
hunter

Postby Tango2Echo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:56 pm

I've had good success planting smartweed and jap millet around the edges of small flooded timber areas. I just hand broadcast in late spring around the water line. In my area we usually have a bit more water in winter than in the spring, so it "floods" the plants. I also put out alot of woodduck boxes as soon as the season is over. This has helped more than you can believe. I have 16 boxes in a small swamp, maybe 10 acres. 15 of them had successfull hatches this year, 10 last year, 3 the year before that. That swamp now holds 120-200 "resident" woodies all year. The birds still move around, but they know where "home" is. We hunted that swamp once a week last season, 3 guys, and shot limits of woodies on every hunt. (9 birds) Also, shot some GWT, BWT, and mallards, one hooded merganser, two ringnecks, and a drake pintail in there last year. Five years ago that swamp dead and duckless.
Tango2Echo
hunter

Postby dusky99 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 am

I’m going to do the wood duck boxes. I have a bunch of 2in steel pipe im going to mount them on to keep the varmints out. Could I hang them now or is it best to wait till after season is over? Where would I find smartweed?
dusky99
hunter

Postby CCducker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Tango2Echo wrote:I've had good success planting smartweed and jap millet around the edges of small flooded timber areas. I just hand broadcast in late spring around the water line. In my area we usually have a bit more water in winter than in the spring, so it "floods" the plants. I also put out alot of woodduck boxes as soon as the season is over. This has helped more than you can believe. I have 16 boxes in a small swamp, maybe 10 acres. 15 of them had successfull hatches this year, 10 last year, 3 the year before that. That swamp now holds 120-200 "resident" woodies all year. The birds still move around, but they know where "home" is. We hunted that swamp once a week last season, 3 guys, and shot limits of woodies on every hunt. (9 birds) Also, shot some GWT, BWT, and mallards, one hooded merganser, two ringnecks, and a drake pintail in there last year. Five years ago that swamp dead and duckless.

Love to hear about hunters working to conserve our resource! :thumbsup:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby Tango2Echo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 pm

I buy smartweed through a local NWTF chapter, although there are a number of online sources for it. Just do a Google search. Raw cedar and cyprus work best for the woodduck boxes. The 2" pipe is fine, but you will still need to put a predator guard around the base to keep coons out. Hooded Mergansers and GWT have also nested in my boxes. Wait until after the season to put the boxes out.

Too many guys put no time into the conservation of our ducks and wetlands. I enjoy managing the resource as much as hunting it. It doesn't have to take a ton of money or time to do either. We spend about $3000 per year split four ways to lease, manage, plant, and maintain close to 500 acres for waterfowl. Some of the places held no ducks a few years ago. We have over 100 nest boxes out total, and plan to add 20-25 more this year. I don't tell people about our hunts around here because they assume you are baiting. They don't know that managing the property can be more effective. I've never put one kernel of corn out for ducks, and we shoot 500-1000 birds per year.

I also bought 161 acres in Ontario, Canada. ($16,000) My wife is from there, and I usually hunt 3-10 days per year there. I let a local farmer plant corn on the front 80 acres, allow his family to deer hunt, and in return he plants a 50 acre impoundment in jap millet. Wanna guess how many ducks, geese and swans are in that field and impoundment? The net cost to me is nothing, and yet we have had un-real hunts in there.

Good luck,
Tango2Echo
hunter

Postby kysupernova » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Tango2Echo wrote:I buy smartweed through a local NWTF chapter, although there are a number of online sources for it. Just do a Google search. Raw cedar and cyprus work best for the woodduck boxes. The 2" pipe is fine, but you will still need to put a predator guard around the base to keep coons out. Hooded Mergansers and GWT have also nested in my boxes. Wait until after the season to put the boxes out.

Too many guys put no time into the conservation of our ducks and wetlands. I enjoy managing the resource as much as hunting it. It doesn't have to take a ton of money or time to do either. We spend about $3000 per year split four ways to lease, manage, plant, and maintain close to 500 acres for waterfowl. Some of the places held no ducks a few years ago. We have over 100 nest boxes out total, and plan to add 20-25 more this year. I don't tell people about our hunts around here because they assume you are baiting. They don't know that managing the property can be more effective. I've never put one kernel of corn out for ducks, and we shoot 500-1000 birds per year.

I also bought 161 acres in Ontario, Canada. ($16,000) My wife is from there, and I usually hunt 3-10 days per year there. I let a local farmer plant corn on the front 80 acres, allow his family to deer hunt, and in return he plants a 50 acre impoundment in jap millet. Wanna guess how many ducks, geese and swans are in that field and impoundment? The net cost to me is nothing, and yet we have had un-real hunts in there.

Good luck,

You need a new hunting Buddy?? :hi: where are you from?
kysupernova
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 pm

duckman27 wrote:Yeah I Plant 50 lb bags of corn about two feet off the shore about a month before season aand then keep dumping corn until season starts

duckman27 wrote:I put the corn out to keeps the ducks there because sixty woodies on a small pond makes the acorns go away pretty fast. I keep it legal and stop two weeks before season opens

you just said that you do it right up until season. and then you say two weeks before. i get the impression that you feed them up to the day before season.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby quackhead83 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:41 pm

I have had grteat luck planting millet for wood ducks. That is what is most abundent around my swamp. We Planted two 50 lb bags and gave it 60 days. The woodies are packed in there. prob. around 6-700 feeding. Most awsome thing to see. Besides the merks that come with.
09-10 Season
Pintail-0
Mallards-2
mottled ducks-1
black ducks-0
widgeon-3
canvasback-0
redhead-3
bw teal-10
gw teal-2
rudy duck-4
bufflehead-10
woodies-21
gadwall-3
bluebill-0
shovler-1
Hooded merganser-4
Bands-1
I love that wet dog smell at sunrise.....
quackhead83
hunter

Postby Timbergreen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 am

Hey if your looking to plant foods like Japanese millet, smartweed, milo, corn, buckwheat and rice for ducks, in swamps or natural habitats you need to check out SwampWreck.com. These guys kill a lot of ducks every year by planting their beaver swamps, cypress breaks, ponds, river bottoms and low grounds. They have figured out how to control water and grow duck food to turn natural habitats into impoundments. A lot of people don't have the ability to construct a 5-10 acre impoundment with flooded corn every year. But almost every duck hunter has a pond or beaver swamp they have access to. Manipulating natural habitats for ducks is a cheaper alternative than building an impoundment and anyone can do it. I went to Swampwreck.com over the spring and found out how to manage my beaver swamp and this summer planted it all in Japanese millet and Milo. I followed their general idea and i couldn't be more pleased. My crop is knee high and I have high hopes for this season!
Timbergreen
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting