Japanese millet

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Japanese millet

Postby PineGroveCat » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:07 pm

I've sowed a small water hole on my farm with Japanese millet. I had drained the pond in mid-late summer and broad cast the millet out in the pond. I feel as if I may have done this too late. The pond is only about 2 feet deep and the millet is at least 3.5 feet tall and still green. I need to know what to do if anything. Will the millet fall over into the water? Also, due to forces beyond my control the millet was dispersed all over the pond and there seems to be no landing zone. What to do? Any help appreciated.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Is that all the deeper you spot will get is 2 foot? :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PineGroveCat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Two feet is as deep as it gets on average. Probably some spots in the three foot range and probably has 2 feet of mud in it. Hold ducks really well just read about the millet idea somewhere on the web and thought I'd try it.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:25 pm

you are fine... if the millet seeded out well the ducks will find it.. two feet is perfect depth and it will die eventually and the seeds will drop... if u want to create a hole just go out ot te middle or wherever and walk down an area and eventually the millet will fall over itslef along with the ducks swimming through it pushing it down... u should hold some birds.. how big is the pond?? have u already flooded it?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:33 pm

The pond is about 1 acre or so...maybe a bit larger and is flooded at this time. Just flooded it last week and millet is turning yellow in color. The seed heads seem pretty large so I'm not worried about food. Just about the ducks finding it and their ability to eat it
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:37 pm

yeah then u are set... just maybe walk down a hole in the middle or wherever u like and the birds will knock the rest down along with some of it naturally dropping with time... u should get some birds in there
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Have you ever hunted over Jap Millet? Do the ducks love it as much as they say?
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:35 pm

yeah they love it... any time i have hunted over it i have done pretty well... im planting it in an impoundment next year so i hope they keep coming to it

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:18 am

Keep me posted on how that millet works for you. Very interested. I've got some wild rice coming in the mail soon, but it could be even as long as a couple years to germinate. Where did you get your millet? When to sow?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:44 am

millet can be sown all the way through early fall, but that depends where u are... prob best is early summer to mid summer, but it all depends on on where u are and when u want to flood wherever u may be hunting... but if u do it right u will shoot some birds.. never hurts to try mmix sorghum or buckwheat... u can pick up millet at most feed and seed stores or any farm store.. good luck... never had luck with wild rice but i heard if it takes there isnt anything much better for ducks

KAhunter
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:20 pm

I sowed my pond the first of Aug which was late I thought. The millet took like crazy and is all over the pond due to a haeavy rain that dispersed the seed in places I didn't want it. We've had our first heavy frosts here (Central KY) the last few days and it has definitely knocked the millet back. If the ducks find it and bring more buddies (!) it will be a good year. Can't blame my stand of millet at least.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:25 pm

Here it is the first week in Dec and I still have no report for those interested on my Jap Millet. Just don't really seem to be any birds here in my area of Central KY. The weather has really only been consistantly cold here for a week or so and so I wait for the birds to get here from the North. I'm getting kind've frustrated with the season thus far quite honestly! Anybody just a little further North have anything positive to report for me?
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:06 am

Their commin your way Pinegrovecat, they have been holding in SE Michigan for a few weeks now and seemed to be moving out as of last weekend, there are still some left here, but I think a lot of them moved south, keep yur eyes peeled and good luck, let us know how your pond works out.
hankrt
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm

We have 30 acres of flooded hardwood and fields up to 3 acres in size. We've planted everthing (in the fields) from beans to brown-top. Last year was our first attempt with the Jap millet. I was shocked at how much volunteer growth we had even before we re-seeded it this season. We are killing more widgeon than in years past, but it's seems that flooded corn is/was the ticket on the mallatory game birds. Of course, that was planted back when we actually had a decent migration of mallards this far South.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:44 pm

Well I just couldn't wait to get out in the field so I went last Fri and hunted the pond even though I hadn't seen really ANY birds on it. We actually did pretty well. Me and another fella shot four mallard drakes, a hen and a couple of black ducks(my favorites!) in 3 flights. I was pleasantly suprised considering I hadn't seen any activity beforehand. Just today the activity in my Central KY area has increased dramatically. Goose flights over the farm all morning and while I haven't seen many more ducks in my hole, I saw a few thousand ducks working a corn field about a mile from my spot this evening as I was going home. This field and the adjoining creek always have ducks for some reason and I have had some of the best hunts of my life (including Stuttgart, AR) on that creek. Now if I could only figure out how to get those ducks to my pond! Still not seeing the activity that I was hoping for by playing fair.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:56 pm

Well it's been awhile since my last post and I thought I might update those interested in flooded Jap Millet. Despite my last report, it has been a total bust. On a small pond that normally sees more than enough duck activity, I have recently seen nearly none. Nearly might be an overstatement. The pond hasn't changed from last year other than it is full, I mean LOADED, with Jap Millet seed heads at, just above and below the water level (1-3.5 ft). While the open water isn't as large, there is a nice landing hole in the center thanks to some critter, I think a muskrat, that has built a mound in the pond. The critter pulled up the Millet plants in a 25 ft circumference around his mound providing clear water surrounded by nothing but fairly close submerged plants. If you've seen ducks land in rice you know that they can land in the tightest of spots, IF, they want soI'm not worried that they can't "find" the pond. In my area the season has been a little shakey,here one day gone the next, but I am really frustrated and a little concerned. If anybody has any advice, experience or suggestions in dealing with Jap Millet, I would really love hearing from you.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting