Seasons are wearing on.....big or small?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Seasons are wearing on.....big or small?

Postby duckhunter25 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:39 pm

As the season wears on in your area what are some things you like to change to mix things up? I know here we sometimes will set up for 4-5 guys with 6-12 duck decoys, and if we are hunting geese in a field we double the size of our spread from 5 to 10 dozen. This usually always works for us.
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Less Decoys
Less Calling
Less Mojo
More Coots
:thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Brydog » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 am

smackaduck wrote:Less Decoys
Less Calling
Less Mojo
More Coots
:thumbsup:

:toofunny:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:10 pm

Coot Decoys
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:14 am

more deks and more diver deks :thumbsup:
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:27 pm

More Coots and asst. oddballs with less Mallards until we get some fronts moving some birds in. Been nearly 70* and sunny lately here, AKA ridiculous. With the exception of a few, I mean very few, trickle down migrants we're still dealing with locals. Once there's new birds down it's scout and mimic for the most part. Have Honkers coming out of our ears and aren't allowed to touch them for a few more weeks :thumbsdown:
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:54 pm

Yeah its been ridiculous up here
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:55 pm

what every state needs are larger bag limits on geese, it seems every state is up to thier wazoo in geese. Here in NY I can only shoot 3 a day thats nothing are local geese are in the thousands Farmers are PO but still we can only shoot 3 I'm not goig to set up a spread for only 3 not worth my time. God help them if they fly over my duck decoys :hammering: :hammering:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Depends on what type of area and ducks we're after. For the most part, smaller spreads as well. I like supermags for mallard/blacks. when lake hunting, we'll use 8-10 dozen coots with a 2 dozen (or less) GHG gadwall decoys mixed in pairs or trios.
Diver and geese, all the boat or our backs will carry!
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:42 pm

As the season progresses we fill the water full of decoys as many as we can put out!!!
most people here put out 60 the first day ans then ony carry a few with them as the season goes on. I like to hunt over a small spread and then fill whereever i am going right full. We hunt a big river near the end so we need lots of decoys for sight!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting