Duck Hunting Etiquette?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Duck Hunting Etiquette?

Postby kfran1234 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:56 pm

I am going to be hunting a small pond near me in NH. There are several blinds out there, many of them old. Do people generally stake claims to blinds or is it first come first serve? Same question regarding spots on the pond. Is it normally who gets there first? Thanks.
kfran1234
hunter

Postby Brydog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Here in Michigan,any blind on State land and the great Lakes can be hunted by the first occupant. You should probably check with the local DNR or BLM .
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm

It is the same here, if it's on state land, but a persons got to be a real jerk if they set up in someone elses blind and don't give it up if that person shows up. I know in this state, if you have a blind on public land you're supposed to have your name on it. I'd check out the blinds before you hunt them, usually you can tell if anyones been in there lately. Also, you can set up, and if someone shows, you can always ask if they'll let you hunt with them.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Citori12 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:52 pm

here in colorado we have two senerios. 1) a reserved blind is a reserved blind there are a few areas that require reservations and those blinds are reserved to the party who reserved them no question.
2) in some of our state areas we have first come first served. But most of our hunting here is river and in many areas permanent blinds cannot be built therefore if you find a blind you are either on private property or someone has built one. If its public property not under reservation system then its yours to occupy.
But when in doubt always always always check your state and local regulations and or contact your wildlife officer or office to make sure your not stepping on someone's toes.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

blinds

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:14 pm

My opinion is that if I get to the lake before someone else and get to that spot first, I get to hunt that spot. The only way that someone can say that you cant hunt that blind is if that blind has stickers and is a registered vessel. That means it belongs to you by law. Other than that if I got there first all I could say is sorry, you should've got up earlier. I wouldn't go out and build a blind on one of the good spots on public property and expect nobody to hunt it, that just aint right.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 pm

Some people have blinds on public property and have hunted them for years. I do and sometimes I dont show up until 20 minutes before shooting time. I have never had anyone in my blind, however we hunt it very often. I have also hunted several other persons blinds, when they arent there. I always go the day before and you can tell if they have been there recently. Last year we found a good spot and hunted a guys blind for 6 days in a row, on the seventh day we put our dekes out and set in the blind drinking coffee. He showed up about 20 minutes before shooting time, he helped us pick up our decoys and we left. We were mad but I think its only right to let the owner hunt his blind public or not. Just my 2 cents
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:34 pm

Huntimg someone elses marked blind, is like hunting in someone elses deer stand. Unless you have permission it shouldnt be done. Although if its last years blind (In VT they have to be taken down yearly) and it hasnt been used then in my oppinion have at it.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:14 pm

Here in Wisconsin, i believe it's first come first serve. I hunt out on the bay alot and there are probably 10 blinds put up. Now i hunt typically three days a week and sometimes don't see anyone using certain blinds for quite awhile.

Now i won't use another persons blind, but I don't have a problem setting up right beside the blind and hunting that spot. Only once have i had a problem with a guy, he was having a bad day, got there late and ran his boat through my decoys, we had a nice little chat. On the other hand last year i had a guy show up, didn't know a thing about where he was or how to hunt, but, he had a camp stove and offered to fix breakfast if he could stay and hunt with me.

This year i have a camp stove in the boat most morning, nothing beat a hot breakfast in the blind.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:21 pm

here its the first one to the blind.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

someone elses blind

Postby MicroMike » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:03 pm

I come upon this all the time. I do not hunt from another person's blind, but if thier blind is where I want to hunt, I hunt the area. I've never had anyone move in on me once I've set up. Most people see the decoys and keep moving.
MicroMike
hunter

How close is to close

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 am

Opening day is Saturday. I have never hunted in areas where others are. Usually private land. This year I am trying the St. Johns River. Expecting to see other hunters. How close is to close to set up to others?
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Get'em » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 am

i really hate when other people set up right next to me. So i would say 75 to a 100 yards away at least
Get'em
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:50 am

I get pisted if anyone sets up within 2-300 yards of me. You should be able to shoot birds from any angle of your decoys and not hit any other hunters IMO. Around here it is first come gets first choice. Most guys who are parked first pick the spots they want, the others get whats left...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting