OPENING DAY QUESTION

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

OPENING DAY QUESTION

Postby DuckSleuth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:19 pm

Went scouting yesterday and saw a good group of geese and ducks in a small cove. Question - If these birds are just "hanging" out in this area (roosting and feeding), what is my best approach to hunting them?

Should I:

1) Get in there early (4am), and "nudge" them out of there, hoping they will come back. I was thinking I would park the boat 100 yards away, walk in and gently edge them out of there. My assumption is that since they have stayed in this cove for so long they will come back later that morning.

or

2) Sneak up to them in shooting range and jump them off the water.

What would you do???
DuckSleuth
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:51 pm

Two big questions first. Are they under alot of pressure? If they are, then they won't be back for a long time.

Second, how good of a stalker are you? If your decent, then a stalk would be the way to go. Otherwise, ease 'em out, then wait in your layout for 'em to come back.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:15 pm

I would sneak up within shooting range of them before dawn in the dark and conceal yourself. When daylight comes you can jump 'em without having to worry about them flushing out of range. :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:43 pm

If it was me I would go in 30 min. to an hour after sunrise. Around here those birds would be out in the fields feeding during that time. Toss out 3 or 4 decoys and wait for them to come back from the fields. Most of the time when you do that they'll filter back in 2 or 3 at a time and give you plenty of chances to shoot at them.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby DuckSleuth » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:15 am

I am 90% certain these are local ducks. I am also pretty sure they have not moved during the day. I saw these birds around 10am after I had already scouted some other areas and did not observe many birds flying. My plan is to be at this location (from a distance of course!) this coming weekend to see if the birds are roosting or flying in. The opener is Thanksgiving Day.

BTW - I also plan to bring my dog with me. That will probably rule out stalking.

Down here in Southeast TN, the only "wild" birds I have observed are grey ducks and coots.
DuckSleuth
hunter

Postby sparky » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 am

Ifthis area is their roosting area .... Scout them out. See what time they leave in the morning or evening then once they have left get in set up and bang them as they return. They won't all return at once so get in get your limit and get out. This may screw your future hunts for the same area as they may not come back for some time if at all. This also may screw up their patterns for the other areas you hunt as they switch up their roost for another resting area.

You will have to find the new roosting area and start all over again.

If your a good shot and get in and out before the rest of birds come home you may be fine for one or two more hunts before they catch on.

Best of luck and keep us informed on how you make out.

sparky
sparky
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting