general decoy question?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

general decoy question?

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm

When hunting puddle ducks, do you generally set up your decoys in the calm water or do you set them up in the wind.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:12 pm

depends on the situation. normally when the weather is nasty the birds move to more sheltered area, in turn thats where you want to be. average weather they go wherever so a breezy point might offer your decoys a bit more movement and more of a lifelike look.

on the bay birds raft up in the middle alot no matter what the weather.

so yea it all boils down to when and where

try to give us a situation and we will tell you how we would set it up..
Rowdy
hunter

Postby hankrt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 pm

I would agree with Roudy, what I like to do is set up on both calm and windy sides if possible. I typically will set the larger portion of the decs with the wind to my back if I can, that way when they commit, they come in belly first. Unless you have some sort of motion decoy, they usually look pretty bad sitting in calm water and is difficult to get them to commit, thus only allowing for some pass shooting at best. Each situation is different, and I found my best way through trial and error. Don't be afraid to move your decoys a few times during the hunt if you see birds flaring at that 50-60 yard mark, sometimes suttle changes can make a big differance. Yesterday we bagged 7, but couldn't get them to commit until I took my Pintail decs out of the spread of mallards, for some reason, they didn't care for the sprigs yesterday, tomorow might be different. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
hankrt
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting