DECOY HELP?!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

DECOY HELP?!

Postby Marshwalker » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:44 pm

im looking to buy some new decoys. i prefer greenhead gear .. amazing looks.. Well anyways i have heard that you shouldnt put out as many mallard decoys as you used to.. Anyways im looking on what kind i should buy and how many.. I usally hunt in a small hole or some times a little pond.. I hunt down in southwest louisiana.. Give me some advice on what yall use or something that would help me out..

Thanks , :getdown:
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:00 pm

well what do you see and shoot at? buy some of those... we use a dozen widgeons, dozen redheads, 6 bufflehead, a few mallards, 4 geese, and i just bought a dozen bluebill.... i will probably get more widgeon cause that's what we see the most...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Most ducks even divers will decoy to mallard blocks. I prefer life size or oversized decoys for visibility. If I am not packing into river areas or prarie potholes and I can drive up the blind I use as many dekes as I have. For hiking into duck areas 2 dozen will do...However if you have a buddy or two you can put 6 dozen out with good sucess. Unless you are limited to diver hunting I suggest GHG or G&H.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby casey_714 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:09 am

i know a lot of people would argue this, but i think that some ducks won't land if you have all mallard decoys. Over here, it seems like they like a little variety. Last week my friend and a saw a couple groups of mallards near shore (2 different times), and then like 40 yards out, would be the groups of wigeons and redheads. I don't know if it's because they were suspicious, or because they don't like to land that close to mallards, but either way, they weren't flying right into them. I'm sure that with all mallards you will kill ducks (that's all we use to have), but i like to have some variety in my spread. That's just my 3 cents (mine's worth more than most).
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:46 pm

we use all mallards.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AU Mallard » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm

In you're part of the country, it would be wise to grab some of their greenwing and gadwall dekes to go with those greenheads.

A "3G" decoy spread. HAHAHAHHA. Sorry.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:30 pm

I always use a Mallard, Pintail, Teal combo, 70 percent Mallards, 20 Percent Pintail for the white and confidence factor, and 10 percent Teal to break things up, works well in Michigan. Dont overcrowd the small ponds, or set your decs to close to each other, that is a danger sign to ducks if they are all tightly clumped together. Also, never be afraid to adjust your spread during the hunt if you see birds flare at the 60 yard line.
hankrt
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting