mornings with different spreads.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

mornings with different spreads.

Postby chevyZ71 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:19 pm

does the weather ever effect yours decoys spread( by the amount you want to put out)? Or do you just always use the same number of dekes no matter what?
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Get'em » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:29 pm

i dont think that it really doesnt matter what the weather is like i think though that if you are hunting a lake and the wind is kind of blowing and it is raining that you should find a little back water and set up there
Get'em
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:13 pm

WE usually throw out the same # of dekes each time we hunt however
i like to use different SPREAD styles we had a real windy day last week and we lined our dekes up almost in a diver style layed a whole line of mallards runing down below the point and put our blacks up in the sheltered water and the ducks were decoying AMAZING they were dropping right in the hole every time!!!
but if it windy or the wind changes make sure u always keep your LANDING ZONE in front of you change the spread if u have to
i spent an hour one morning re-arranging decoys b/c the wind changed on us and it paid off we shot birds. :salude:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:43 pm

I'm with Mallard Machine, never be afraid to adjust your spread, or, in some cases move it. If I see birds are shying away, I keep adjusting until this goes away, and I get them to come right in. I always like the wind to my back if I can, and by doing so on windy days there is typically a calm spot near the shore line, I find that Mallards like to rest in that calm spot out of the wind, so always make sure you leave a pot hole there for them to land. Also, I always adjust the number of decs I set by the amount of open water I have. If I have lots of open water I will set out 70 or so decs, if I have a small pot hole, I may only set a half dozen, you never want to overcrowd the pot hole that your hunting, birds will find another place to sit, unless of course the marsh is froze over and you have the only man made or natural open water hole around for miles, then look out, it can be awesome!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:12 pm

Early on Ill use under a dozen dekes...Later in the season Ill use more as the birds bunch up. I keep my dekes about the same in number as my working birds. Generally I use a V or J formation all of the time :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:26 pm

my spread is different every hunt.
by number of decoys, placement, type of birds, who i have with me, dog or no dog. there are a ton of varieables
Rowdy
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:58 am

Yes, I agree with you Rowdy, every time out, plays into a different set up. We hunted 90 percent freeze over yesterday, set up my decs in a way I normally wouldnt, but it was great, 11 nice fat northern mallards, 1 spoonbill, and 1 Redhead for the hunt, missed many others.
hankrt
hunter

decoy spreads

Postby marshwhacker » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 pm

on windy and rainy days i like to set up in a pocket were the ducks think they can rest in a calm area
marshwhacker
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting