Scouting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Scouting

Postby Adam » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm

We are about to hit an off week for the ducks here in CO and I want to go out and scout some areas. Being new to the sport, I am not really sure what info I should take in.

Should I wait to see ducks in the area?

Find good locations where I know ducks are in the area?

I am really at a loss for what to look for and want to finish off the year with a bang! :hammering:
Adam
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:11 pm

I ain't no expert here but I take a spotting scope, binos, pen and pad, and a good map. I will set at a distance with the scope and try and count the numbers of ducks and then determine the diffent kinds of ducks and write down each and the numbers. Then I mark it on the map. If I can slip in without spooking them I will throw out a bouy something like a mountain dew bottle with an anchor so I will know exactly where they were. I also try to draw lines on my map in reference to flight paths if I can find one that doesn't chance much (see them several times). The binos are good for getting on flying ducks quickly to determine what kind of ducks those are. It's hard to find food sources around here and what you do find it is usually unhuntable. So I focus more on roosting, lofeing areas. That's just some of the things I do.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:05 pm

:withstupid: just get some sort of binoculars or spotting scope and just look for ducks. you want to key in on places where they are on the water more so than where they are flying. thats just how i do it.
scwaterfowler
hunter

sign

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:07 pm

You can also check some places for feathers and such. If there is a bunch of ducks using an area, there will be feathers on the water.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:02 am

Make sure to notice the wind direction when you find the ducks because most of the time this is a major fact as to where the ducks will be. Make sure the wind is similar on the day you are going to hunt compared to when you see them piling in somewhere.
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:28 pm

Adam,
If you are from colorado then there are basically 5 places to scout. South platte river basin, the Arkansas river area, the Colorado river area, and the republican river area as well as the front range. I will warn you about the front range there is limited access unless you hire a guide or have a lease or know someone that has a lease. There is the entire state that holds ducks and geese so I would pick an area and start there.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting