Need Some Input!!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Need Some Input!!

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:06 am

We have land in East Texas, we have a unique setup where we are able to open a pipe that was dug down into the side of a creek and flood 18 acres of water when we want. Then we have drain pipes in a berm on the side that drains it whenever we want. My question is, do we let it grow up in wetland grasses and plants like that on its own over a couple years as we flood it for about 4 months in the winter and then drain it for the rest of the year?! Or do we try to plant some kind of crop in it?! We've been racking out brains on this one for a while. We have already tried this idea a couple times with NO results. We even have Oak trees in there dropping acorns, but nothin. I would appreciate ANY ideas on what we should do.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:59 pm

If i had the opportunity like you have right now. I would plant some areas with any type of stuff u can buy prob a good biologic duck oat or duck weeds or anything in that manner. But i would plant it in section and let some natural stuff grow up in other places so that way there u would get the best of both worlds, ducks wanting to eat and ducks wanting just to get down!!!! How deep is the water when it is completely full??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:03 pm

Biologic is hard to beat.
jap Millet will come back on it's own.

Is the "problem" that ducks just aren't using the spot, or that you cannot get a good crop?
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:56 pm

To answer the first question, half of it is anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 ft and the other half is only around 6or 7 inches to a foot deep.
we have used jap millet on a section of it a couple years ago. We have been told to just let it grow natural vegetation. They said that the good water plants you want in there wont really start to florish until next year or the year after. A big part of the problem WAS that it was just WAY too brushy. There wasnt hardly a hole that could be seen from the sky. But its now dozed out except for the oak trees and a couple clumps of trees for blinding and cover for the ducks.... We know that it might not quite flock them in there for food purposes yet, but we thought that we'd have them in there just to rest. We are right on a flyway from Lake Palestine up Flat Creek, if you know where that is. We have quite a few ducks in the area.... they just dont want to use it. Woodies are the only thing that seem to enjoy it.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:34 pm

Woodies are in there for the ACORNS!!! I know a few spot with acorns and u can't keep the wood ducks out of them!!
When we hunt the first day it's really thick like that not much open water but we cleaed some areas out and it helped alot
if u can get the birds in there somehow i guarantee they will stick around!!!
GOOD LUCK

i would let the natural stuff grow
you got nothing to loose give it a try!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:23 pm

If I had something like that I would drain it in the winter, plant corn with a outside strip of buckwheat for your decoys and then flood it a month before season, the mallards and other puddle ducks can't resist it!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:47 pm

I Agree with Hankrt!!!!!! There's an island where we hunt that is full or potatoes and corn and this fall it flooded and the corn was all under water.

they shoot an amazing amount of ducks on it b/c they couldn't resist it.
We never had the chance to hunt on it, but the ducks would fly high over us in the am and u could hear boomin to no end. We never got any shooting down below it until 10 oclock on--
We would call a couple buddies that were on it and we couldn't talk on the cell phone b/c he kept on putting the phone down to shoot. So i would try that!! I mean looks in Cabela's they make FAKE CORN fora reason!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Wow that sounds like a really good idea. I just might have to try that, thanks. When about would you suggest planting it? We usually open the pipe to flood it at the middle or end of October, whenever the first freeze or near freeze is cause we'd like to extend the Oaks chances for survival. Then we start to drain it pretty much right after season.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:13 pm

Plant the corn and buckwheat in the spring. Mix some sorgum with the corn seed and plant that first. Then right next to the corn plant buckwheat in an area large enough for all of your decoys once its flooded. Hunt in the corn for camo, and the ducks will land in the buckwheat with your decoys and then head for the corn, but by that time.................... I hunt managed areas like this all season and it can be awesome, the corn will stand until you drain the fields, then harvest what's left , if there is any left, the mallards strip these fields pretty clean, or, leave it for tha animals for the winter. Check with your local enforcers to make sure this is legal, but if I had that set up that's what I would do....good luck and keep us posted,
hankrt
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Well i know where we live corn usually isn't ready to be harvested until September. SO u ask a farmer for some in-put on when to plant it I Would buy a couple bags of that crack corn just to keep them there and keep them around but don't over due it my buddy put to much out and they got sick of it
i think it will be just pefect come OCTOBER to hunt in. If it's higjh maybe just push it all over in the water of breaks the cobs off and chuck them in the water. I've never tried it just how i would do it
HOPE IT WORKS!!
If I shoot any fat corn filled ducks next year I"LL KNOW IT DID
hahaha
CHEERS :salude:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 pm

Dont push the corn over for the mallards, you will be totally amazed at how they can totally strip the cob completly clean without disterbing the outer husk, even if it is 3 feet or more off the water!!!! Not sure how they do it, but I have been in stripped fields and its amazing!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:32 pm

sounds like a winning combination!!!!! :cool: :salude: :getdown: :yes:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Good Luck With Your Project!! :thumbsup:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:59 pm

Yea, if you need someone to help you harvest all those ducks give me a call.
hankrt
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Well. We SERIOUSLY hunted it for the first time this weekend cause we've seen SOME ducks in there. Well WE hunted it 2 days. The first, we were buzzed by about 200 wooducks, and then later got a mallard and a widgeon drake.... the funny thing is that they were flying as a pair together. Then the next day we got LOTS of teal buzzing and saw a few more wooducks. Im just waiting for more mallards to start going in.. if that Corn idea is good then Im thinkin Ive really got a spot now. Im gettin excited :getdown:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:24 pm

Well. We SERIOUSLY hunted it for the first time this weekend cause we've seen SOME ducks in there. Well WE hunted it 2 days. The first, we were buzzed by about 200 wooducks, and then later got a mallard and a widgeon drake.... the funny thing is that they were flying as a pair together. Then the next day we got LOTS of teal buzzing and saw a few more wooducks. Im just waiting for more mallards to start going in.. if that Corn idea is good then Im thinkin Ive really got a spot now. Im gettin excited :getdown:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting