Any luck with black ducks decoying

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Any luck with black ducks decoying

Postby Abzack » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 pm

This is my first year hunting over decoys I have the new greenhead gear oversize blackies they look awsome! I know black ducks are extremly weary, but I'm haveing trouble getting them to commit to my spread. I don't normally call when blackies are coming in that just seems to flare them even more. Teal, and hooded mergansers come right in and I have'nt seen any mallards yet to say what they will do. It seems that the few blackies that do see my spread seem to flare off before they are close enough for a shot. Can anyone offer any advice . Thanks

Its brown its down ! it flies it dies!!
Abzack
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:50 pm

There are a lot of situations that play into getting blacks to commit. I usually don't have a problem getting them to slide in. I also use the greenhead decoys, but I use mallards, a few pintail, and just a few teal. I pull the teal as ice sets in but I think the pintail give all ducks a sence of security. I would say don't overcrowd your spread. If your hunting small water then only put out a few decs, the odds of getting a black to commit on small potholes is not good but you might get them to pass over close enough to pop one. Most of the blacks I shoot are near open flooded cornfields, or marsh areas that have open water after the ice sets in, this time of year is by far the best time to get all ducks to commit to your spread. If you give me some more details on how and where your hunting I may be able to offer more advise, hope that helps.
hankrt
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:55 pm

Oh, one more thought, rarley do you see a flock of ducks that are "All" black ducks. From a distance, all ducks on the water appear black, as they begin to get closer they will make out color, or, the white on some ducks, I would afdvise you to only use a small percentage of black decoys, add some mallards, and pintail if you have them in your area. If not, select another puddle duck that frequents your part of the flyway......good luck!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:54 pm

I hunt the salt marshes of coastal MA where the black duck is the boss. We see lots of blacks here. You can do fine with just black duck decoys if thats all you have. I would say my spread consists of mostly blacks and only a few mallards most days unless I put some goldeneye decoys off to one side.

Try using a small spread (less than a dozen decoys) and call sparingly. A good call for blacks is the Duck Commander mallard drake call. It works well and will not flare birds like a regular duck call will at times. If they are flaring before they are even in shotgun range, that tells me that something is sticking out. Make sure you are well concealed and try not to move when they are working. Sure black ducks are about the most wary duck on the marsh but if you have a decent setup and are concealed ok, you should be able to get a few pokes at the dusky ghost. Juts be patient with them. They will circle and circle but you have to have nerves of steel and keep still.

Keep trying and I bet you will get them to come in on a string eventually. :thumbsup:
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Abzack » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:00 pm

thanks for answering my post hankrt.
To give you more info. I'm hunting large saltwater creeks about 30' across this saturday I set out 6 ghg blackies and the 3 ghg mallards I choose not to set the teal or pintails this week I guess I should have . I had a west wind at my back and set the decoys in two pods the blacks on my left and the mallards on my right with about 20 -25 yards between the two pods.It was also a bluebird day to boot the few ducks that few by me mostly just flew by without a second look.A pair of doubles did approch and cup from the mallards side but flared before in gun range. Believe it or not its rare to see more than 6 blackies flying together around here unless you jump them.
Abzack
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:14 pm

This late in the year forget the big spreads of decoys, they’ve seen that all season. This time of the year go with two blacks and that’s it, leave the mallards to home. The two you do take, pair them up drake/hen you will see them already starting to pair. When you place them on the water, into the wind, place the hen in front of the drake, hens always leads the drakes.

Also leave your call to home, mallards will decoy as well don’t worry. Also keep in mind when it comes to camo “ sweat the details” those blacks are looking for you. If you have a dog keep it out of sight their head movement will tip off them blacks

Keep your blind as low as possible, I mean low. Most hunters make their blinds as comfortable as possible that means large blinds. You’re hunting the smartest bird there is; by this time he’s seen it all and heard it all. So stay small and low, it always works for me. good luck
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Mallard Machine » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:21 pm

The Black Duck is probably our most common down here in New Brunswick. I shoot A MESS of them every year. I noticed that blacks really like the just the single lonesome hen quack when calling. I shoot a lot of blacks in pot holes so i don't think that matters. Try dropping your decoy #'s down and if that don't work then try LOADING the where you with dekes. MAke sure you, your partner, and dog are HID very good b/c blacks will pick u up really fast!!!!!!!!!and from a long ways away
HOPES THIS WORKS!
CHEERS
Mallard Machine
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting