The Odd Couple

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

The Odd Couple

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:31 pm

I hunted this weekend and we had something I thought to be strange happen. We had what looked to be mallards comming in cause I could see the greenhead shining out. Then I spotted the white on the back of the wings of the other bird. Well turns out after we shot them that it was a Widgeon drake flying with a mallard drake, they were the only two. Do yall see that?! Ive seen teal fly with mallards and Ive seen 2 flocks kind of merge together. But never just a couple birds, different species flying together. Do yall find that odd?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:16 am

we've seen all kinds of odd pairs... a lone duck flyin with geese... we had a bluebill hen and a drake mallard land in the spread together... i think that they get lonely and try to find a pal to hang out with or something... it is really funny though watching a bunch of geese flying along with a little duck trying to keep up with them flappin as hard as it can....
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:20 am

:toofunny: haha I could see that. pretty funny. well thats pretty cool. I like variety in the bag. It just threw me off, never seen it before.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:20 am

I got a pinny and a drake mallard together before, I thought that was odd
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 pm

In my area we see mallards and widgeon together all the time. We see mallards and teal, pintail, blacks, the occasional diver and geese. Kind of funny watching the smaller birds try and keep up with the geese.
hankrt
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting