UP Close and Personal.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

UP Close and Personal.

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:16 pm

Wow this weekend I went hunting with my gf (thats right im that lucky) and we set up in some flooded trees for our blind. I started the hunt on one knee down in the water next to a tree. Early in the hunt after we had already taken 2 GWT and a wooduck 2 teal suddenly circled around and landed into our spread. We had our dekes really close to us since the trees were in water so the teal literally landed 2 feet from my knee. I stayed as still as I could and could look the bird right in the eye. They stayed for about a minute then flushed off and i bagged one (only one cause the curved way off to the left almost behind me and Im a lefty, hard shot.) I just thought it was the coolest thing Ive experience duck hunting. Being able to watch the duck swim within touching distance of me. Anybody else have stories of the sort?!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:02 pm

stuff like thats always a neat experience.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 am

I fell asleep while goose hunting a field, and was woken up by geese around me on the ground
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:55 am

Sounds really cool, if you were in the blind with the GF you probably had other experiances that you can't share with us....hmmmm
hankrt
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:25 pm

I had 2 blue Herons land 15 feet from my sneakbox just last week. Was a neat experience. Two days before that had an otter try to get in the boat. That woulda been a hell of a gunfight.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:39 pm

:toofunny: haha actually NO. I dont let ANYTHING distract me from my hunting. If she were to tell me to pick hunting or her I would pick hunting without having to think about it. SO if im duck hunting im watchin the skys!!!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:58 pm

one time i had a blue heron land about 10 yards to the left of my spread. it used it as a comfort decoy until i called in a flock and shot. sure did work.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:58 pm

Riverjumper wrote:I fell asleep while goose hunting a field, and was woken up by geese around me on the ground

NOW THATS FUNNY :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby PineGroveCat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:48 pm

Was hunting on a creek out in the middle of a cow pasture a few years ago, laying in a finisher blind waiting for legal time when a few hundred ducks landed right on top of us. Gotta finish this later....wife screaming at me!
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby PineGroveCat » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:09 pm

So...the water hole was mostly frozen but the ducks wanted in bad. They came in anyway but it was still dark. To dark to shoot anyway. The ducks were landing in betweens us, on us, everywhere it was amazing and something I'll never forget.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:50 am

A good friend of mine who lives in NE Arkansas and hunts flooded timber a lot has had mallards hit the end of his gun barrel on multiple occassions. :cool:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:33 pm

We had a limit goose / duck shoot in the morning with US friends. Afternoon we went back out set up the dekes and took pictures. Laying on the ground in full camo I had a duck land on my legs. Buddy got a great picture.
Last edited by 2 tollers on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 tollers
hunter

Sleeping

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:38 pm

Fell asleep deer hunting had two beagles run a deer right by my feet.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:44 pm

i was deer hunting with my brother one time. so anyway a doe walked onto the greenfield while my brother was snoozin, and i was very tempted to pull the trigger on it to see what my brother would do. but i decided not to. just because i tought he would get alarmed, mad, never take me hunting with him again, and i would feel like dirt after that. so on she walked out of there. the sun had about 20 min till dark time, then a spike walked out and i poped it while my brother was AWAKE. worked out for the best.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:01 am

I had a coot land 3 feet from my legs on a sand bar this year. He thought it was water... yah shoul've seen him roll.. it was still dark. I could've picked him up he was soo close.

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:52 pm

well I have another one now. one of these other hunts Ive been havin lately I was huntin our flooded out beaver pond and I was standin up stretchin my legs while I was talkin to my cousin next to me. I was lookin over towards him laughin about somethin (cant remember now) and I started to hear a small hissing sound. I looked in front, nothing. I look straight behind us and was met with the form of two woodies cupped comming right at my face. in order to keep from being hit I fell over. Stupid move, I should have reached up and grabbed one. I wont soon forget that one, partly cause I was freezing the rest of the morning cause my whole left should fell in the water. On a lighter note my cousin had a good laugh. lol
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby jedisme » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 am

i had about 30 woodies lite in the water about 10 yards from me. i sat there and watched them swim around for about 15-20 minutes. then wham shot one drake looked over and there was another drake pulled up wham then....i realized that i had shot......
jedisme
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 am

Not that close but my buddy and I hunt a flooded field that the water collects right next to the trees where the blind is. Two ducks came in at first light and the first went right down as it was coming in slow and right at me. The second was missed on the next two shots, circled twice while I was calling and I missed again three times. :help: I was using modified and they where only out 10 yards, if that.

Next Time I changed to Imp Cyclinder. :yes:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thebiggrfigr » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Just yesterday we had had mallards all over us most of the morning and they stopped flying about 10am so we stayed about 12 we thought we'd given it long enough to kill the last couple we needed to finish. So i got in the belly boat and proceeded to pick up the decoys. Sure as shat as soon as i got to the decoys here comes a pair. I quit paddling and just sat there in the water not moving a bit. I'll be damned if they didn't come right in. I had a front row seat for that one.
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 pm

i jumped a pond in the middle of a cornfield late last season, by crawling thru the muddy pivot track i got within 3 feet of the water which was packed with thousands of ducks, stood up, shot a limit
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:49 am

some buddies and i were out field hunting geese and we all fell asleep before the sun came up. A flock of 8 birds came in and woke us up when they almost landing in my open final approach blind!! The birds startled me and i took a bird at 10 yds away at it landed on me inside the blind
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

close up

Postby marshwhacker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 pm

had a pond that the mallards loved we didn't have a dog so we would go pick our ducks and there were so many in the sky i would be in the dekes and a group of about 50 greenheads landed in the dekes with me i could of touched em with gun barrel
marshwhacker
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting