Birds landing upstream

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Birds landing upstream

Postby Trey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:45 pm

A couple of times this season I have had birds working my spread and then land up river 75+ yards. Although difficult to say for sure, generally what will their behavior be ? Will they stay put, finally float down into our spread, spook or ? I have opted to try to jump shoot them so that they dont get more birds up where they are swimming.
Trey
hunter

Postby trdobson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:09 pm

There are many reasons why this happens more times than not it is something to do with your set up ;Decoy placement no spot to land with wind conditions Robo ducks I find mid season birds flare them like crazy unless you got the remote then shut it off when you see them .The number one would be your hide are you hid well enough does it match you surroundings maybe they can see you. Maybe those birds have just been shot at and thier asses are still on fire and their is no getting them into a decoy spread, Maybe they are just shy and need a little soft talkin I find sometimes some chatter and soft quacks will cause those birds to fly not it to your spread immediatly but a little at a time they may fly twenty yards closer if you do this you may be in luck keep it up and they may come in it has happened to me many times. But if they are not moving closer they are definitely not helping you with the next approaching flock get them the hell outta there !!!!
happy hunting T R D
trdobson
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:05 am

I find that when birds do that to me its usually because my location is not quite right. i.e. my decoys have no LZ downwind, the birds do not want to circle over the river bank ect ect. Here in Colorado I found out in many cases when I hunt the river and ducks pull the old "I would rather land elsewhere trick" its usually because the place they chose to land is shallower, clamer water, has a nice open sand bar or something in the location they favor. In some cases I might even let them sit there for awhile to see if they attract other ducks into the area.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 pm

They just go where they want to go! Our job is to figure that out and the hunt where the ducks want to be, no matter how good a spread is, if they dont like the locaton they will land in a spot they "know" everytime. Try making note of EXACTLY where they land, and set up there the next day. or get up and move.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:05 am

:withstupid: .....seriously, why not move up that 75 yards, keep your general set-up, and see what happens
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting