Weather, or not??? Where are the ducks??

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Weather, or not??? Where are the ducks??

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:10 pm

I was hunting the St. Johns River this morning off of Hwy 46 East of Orlando Florida. Normally I will see groups ducks flying along both sides of the river. Last night we had a hard rain for a couple hours maybe longer. This morning at about 5:00 the temperature was 58F with heavy cloud cover and the wind was increasing. by 9:00 the temperature dropped by approximately 6-10 degrees and the wind increased probably 7 to 10 mph. We were out there until about 10:00-10:30 and did not see a single duck flying. I am not exaggerating as far as the eye could see we did not see a duck. We saw 10+ eagles, a lot of ibis both white and glossy, tons of gulls, herons and the other normal birds. They didn't start flying until about 7:45-8:00 which is much later than usual.

We heard about three shots to the east at about 6:45 and one to the south west at about the same time. That was it. No other shots and there were others out there. Any thoughts on the complete absence of ducks.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Weather

Postby Decoy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:00 pm

Sounds like the change in the weather could be the cause. That kind of weather seems like you would see more ducks. I don't know.
Decoy
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Sounds like a great hunting day to me. Maybe most of the locals are shot off and you don't have any migrants in there yet, or, your neighbor has a rice patty down the street and is feeding all the ducks, beats me, but that's hunting for ya!!
hankrt
hunter

St. Johns

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:39 pm

I have been out there two more times and I saw 4 ducks in the distance total. Two weeks ago I was seeing large groups up and down the river. I guess it is time to move on. :thumbsdown:
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby hankrt » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:52 pm

Sometimes you just have to scout around and go where the ducks want to go.
hankrt
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:17 pm

Were not seeing much here in SC either. I figured this colder weather we are having we would start to see more but nothing. I hope they hurry up for one more month of Jan.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:31 am

It seems like the last week of the season is always the best. It used to always seem like the birds showed up the week after the end of season, but then they extended it a week a few years ago. That has really made some last weekend trips to the coast pay off for me (here in North Carolina).
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:33 pm

Must be somewhere inbetween since there aren't many still around up here.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:15 am

Must be. The #'s in this part of the flyway, or on this fringe of the flyway I should say, have actually dwindled over the last few days. A good portion of the new birds we received with the last cold front have moved onto the refuges, but still, even the refuge #'s are only a couple of notches above "poor" for this time of year.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:05 pm

In oklahoma we might as well kiss our waterfowl season goodbye. 75 degrees today, january 1st. With 50 mph winds. That is horrible. I hope it gets colder, we need rain really bad, and we had wildfires today. The ducks just don't fly too much in crap like this.
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:11 pm

My brother in Law lives in Duncan and said the same thing, good luck to you all!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:39 pm

Slim migration here for ducks also. Folks in montana say they are killing some as well as Idaho....weather is 60 degrees and sunny.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting