USING MORE DARK COLORED DEEKS

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

USING MORE DARK COLORED DEEKS

Postby locked n landing » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Has anyone had more success by using more darker colored deeks? Like having more hens than drakes in your spread. I've read different articles saying that darker colors show up better from the air.
locked n landing
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Dark colors are great for the coast. They really stand out for sea ducks, but having some white showing really stands out too -in agood way.

However, I do prefer less drakes and more hens w/ the mallard deekes. I beleive that is more appealing to a male duck. :mrgreen:
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:51 pm

if you drive by ducks at say 100 yards all u can see is a dark shape so that stands to reason that dark deks would stand out better on overcast days. But on the other hand you cant say that about field hunting fo mallards because afterall the hen are camoed for blending in with the grass so use more drakes in the fields and more hens on the water. Just my 2 c
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:50 pm

I was taught to always have more drakes than hens. I like 2:1
texan68
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:40 pm

Drake VS Hens doesn't matter in my book, my layout spread is all drakes.Although darker colored dekes are better in my belief, like already said look at birds from a distance or air, they are dark.I know for a fact of a world classes decoy carver who guns over a rig of nothing but black duck dekes that are painted entirely flat black everything on them flat black and yeah he kills ducks, plenty of species too.I have also heard this from many old timers, it works, I've done it a few times
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:09 pm

I agree. Although I do like more drakes than hens, half of my spread consists of flat black decoys and jugs. The reason for more drakes in my opinion is to simply add color to the spread, for when the ducks are in close.
texan68
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:16 pm

I have about a dozen and a half of my decoys painted all falt black that i put in a group a little farther out to get the attention of birds and it does seem to work very very well.
Mallard Machine
hunter

Male vs Female

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:19 pm

If I had to go one way or the other, I would lean towards more hen decoys. As for color; yes BLACK can be seen from "way up there" !!

However; WHITE on a decoy is good c/o 4-5 types of ducks and is also a "highlight" decoy that attracts ducks that are less than 300 yards out !!

I have taken many decoys and added a white "ass,end" ; which helps bring in the ducks. Sprig-Pintail also work well in an attractor decoy.

I hate to say it,but those teal dec's I bought , were a suckers bet. They really don't work. I have had more teal land in my widgon & Gadwall dec's than the teal ones. 4 coot or mudhen dec's also help.

Just an old pharts 2 cents...........Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:24 am

Sagebrush, I would agree with you on the teal decoys, I dumped mine a couple of years ago and saw no differance. Teal when they want to land will land with just about anything. I also support your "White" theory, I always freshen the white every year weather it is needed or not, just to keep it bright and obvious. I do think however that a spread should have a couple of different sized decoys, say a couple of super mags mixed in with mags, and maybe a couple of standards, and throwing in a half dozen sprigs will definatly make or break a hunt sometimes. I have found myself either adding, or, removing sprigs from my spread in most cases, depending on how the birds are reacting. There's this old farts .02
hankrt
hunter

Sprigs

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 pm

Hankrt;
Yep, I agree on the sprig/pintail decoy thing. If you ever notice; a real or "live" flock of sprig are ALWAYS..."way out there" in the middle of the water !

When they are 50 yards from shore they look "out of place". I don't like sprig that much, maybe I will chuck them & my teal decoys this year & get a few GOOD ones........ha ha ha

Later Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:41 pm

Sage,
Where I hunt in Michigan, the sprigs kind of act as confidence decoys, same goes for black duck decoys. The good thing with using sprigs and blacks is when ducks become weary after they are shot at a time or two, these confidence decoys can become very helpful, I wouldn't toss them. Sometimes I set my sprigs out 50 yards from the rest of the spread with good sucess, sometimes I mix them, and other times I just pull them depending on how the birds are reacting. You would be amased at how adjustments in your spread will make or break your hunt. Good chatting with ya.

Hank
hankrt
hunter

sprig & teal

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:38 pm

If I got rid of the 10 pintail & the 8 teal dec's.....Do you think 6 Honker floaters would take their place ? They might bring a goose in and maybe a few dumb ducks ? Don,t think they would be any worse.
What do you think ? Huh ? Well? I can't hear you !
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hankrt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 am

Personally, I don't like setting out Geese with Ducks, but thats just my preferance.
hankrt
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:00 pm

I have more teal decoy into me goose dekes than into my duck dekes :umm:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby decoydog » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 pm

There is a guy in North Dakota that painted all 12 dozon decoys flat black. And according to my wife's uncle, He raises all sorts of hell with the duck population. They don't mind them at all. If a decoy is getting old, my partner will also paint his black.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Many of my older decoys I paint flat black and they work beautifuly.
kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting