Power Lines

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Power Lines

Postby PineGroveCat » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:05 am

Obviously, power lines would be avoided whenever possible but does anyone have any hands on experience with a duck hole near power lines. Will ducks land over power lines or will they avoid them at all costs. I have a couple of spots that could be developed into wetlands but have high lines in close proximty. Just wondering if its worth it.
PineGroveCat
hunter

Postby pec » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 am

I hunt a beaver pond where the ducks and geese have to fly over or through a line to get into it, and they do it regularly. So I would say I guess it works for me. We have another spot on our farm to flood which will probably back water up into the line, I hope it works here too.
pec
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:51 pm

i hunt a beaver pond that is directly under a powerline and the wood ducks have no problem with it what so ever. the cross it and fly under it . i have also seen them hit the powerline.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Iluvetwins » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:51 pm

they dont know what they are, its just a wierd looking tree to them. IMO
Iluvetwins
hunter

Postby hankrt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:15 am

I hunt some heavily populated public refuges that have power lines on two sides, and the duchs and geese don't seem to be bothered by them, they fly over and under them all day long.
hankrt
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 am

Just like tall buildings and major highways, the wildlife does adapt. I think a lot of folks setur away from lines,but I set up under some one day at a local lake. It was about the only good spot left that wasn't taken, and I waxed em'.
Definately don't worry about those lines.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:26 pm

I wouldn't worry... We hunt a pond that has some of the huge ones, you know the kind that are like 200 ft tall and have about 40 wires running on them... Anyway the ducks juke right through em.. It's a sight to see.

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

P lines

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Heck no, D & G don't mind power lines at all.

However, on a foggy day, I have picked up geese that have hit the lines and either broke their neck or got juiced ! The road runs paralell to the power lines, and you just happen to see them laying on the ground.
It has happened three times to me. No ducks, just geese.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:51 am

they dont care about wires, they want to land and get fat and happy!!!!!!!
:)
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby hankrt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:55 am

Sage,
I have had pheasant fly up and ring their necks on power wires. It's happened a few times over the years. Those are the easy shots!!! No pellets in the birds either....lol
hankrt
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04 am

Hunting a pond near power lines with my dad one year we had a flock of red heads set decoys when we stood up to shoot they flared we shot one a piece and the third one flared right into the bottom power line and came down dead from a broken neck!!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:56 pm

I dont think that hunting near or under power lines would be a problem. Especially if your hunting geese. I watched a goose fly straight into two lines and got fried!!! It was pretty cool because as the goose fell an arc followed the bird for about 3-4 feet. Walked up to the bird later and all the breast feathers gone.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby lars » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 pm

I agree with the rest of the peanut gallery...

my neighbor has a large farm pond, with a couple hundred geese, and ducks every year.

and believe me you have nothing to worry about- they learn EXACTLY where the lines are and it dosent bother them a bit :thumbsup:
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

power lines

Postby marshwhacker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm

i have a pond on some i hunt near some high lines just hunt about 100 yards away because ducks never fly under lines so hunt far enough away were they can go up and over and come down to the dekes many limit hunts on this pond
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby spencerusmc » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Never seen ducks hit the lines, but have had a few pheasent fall victum to them.
A good hunting partner is harder to find than a good friend. (Rick Ross)
spencerusmc
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:27 pm

we found a woodie hen that fell victim to a power line
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:44 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gvegas88 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah I have hunted a few places with powerlines around, it didn't seem to be too big a problem for the ducks. Although I have seen a dove knock himself sensless on one of those really high ones, I saw him fly into it and it looked like he hit a brick wall and spiraled all the way down so i went to go get it and it was just chillin lookin at me so i picked it up and tossed it and it flew off maybe 200 yds. Me and a buddy of mine were fishin just last weekend and jumped up two woodies under some lines and the lowest line reached out and tagged her and she regained stabiliy about 10ft off the ground. I guess its because the birds get spooked and are flappin so hard thats all they think about.
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby SwampMonster » Sat May 13, 2006 12:24 am

Okay, okay so we've all seen ducks and geese fly right through power lines.............but how many of you have ever seen a duck or a goose LAND on one? Now THAT would be a neat trick! :toofunny:
SwampMonster
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:55 pm

wood ducks and honkers have made nests on the metal towers
around our local lake, but I couldn't imagin one landing on the line it self.

It's pretty funny to see honkers land on the limbs of a pine tree, but they do nest in pines around here. :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting