Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 am

I have a pole mounted mojo mallard, and a floating flasher Higdon( floating spinner). last couple of years I've began to put teh floater out later in the season. I found that bringing the motion closer to the water seems to work better with wary birds. Having the spinner on a pole 5 or 6 ft above the water draws birds from distances, but when they close in, I've noticed them hanging up, out of shotgun range. Although that is the nature of late season mallards, I 've noticed a differance when the dec isn't suspended 6ft above the water. I'll usually deploy a higdon pulsator to add motion to the other deeks. Great product for those that don't own one. I've never experimented with jerk strings, but I would have to think that it would require some thought, on how to set it up, without attracting attention to yourself. Also, I have a buddy who blows his duck call like a party horn, and he'll throw some motion out, and kill more ducks by just shutting up. I might upset some guys by saying this, but I believe calling to be the most overrated aspect of duck hunting today. When you consider the price of calls today, it's no wonder guys' blow there guts out at ducks, in videos, even though there sitting on top of the breakfast spot. But generally Motion and calling are like everything else. Right place and time.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 am

Most underrated:

Shooting.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby maineducker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:22 pm

gomarsh wrote:If you hunt fields , small ponds on farm land or small creeks, where there is no pressure definetly use a mojo. If you hunt marshes or big water use a jerk rig. Us as hunters almost seemed to become reliant on mojos because when they first came out it seemed that they were full proof. Now all birds do is flare from them on open water. I switched to a jerk cord 2 seasons ago, and it was the best decision i ever made for duck hunting. The rig em rite is simple, not to expensive and you can clip 4 decs to it. This is the one i got and i love it, i rarely need to call anymore and it works amazing.

This is spot on IMO. I hunt corn fields and Mojo's are extremely effective. Half the time we never see the birds until they're on top of us. They can see a Mojo WAY off and it's like a magnet.
maineducker
hunter

Postby willyjaneshuff » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 am

You can save yourself money by making your own jerk string. However, if you move around a lot (like I do), then the rig em deal is unbeatable. I bought mine online for like 20 bucks, and it's been well worth it. I put a zip tie on the keel of 4 dekes (so I can easily attach them to the clips on the string), and I can have the jerk string out and ready in no time. Plus, I can take it back up quickly and it all fits neatly in the little bag it comes with. All that being said...if you have a hole, blind, or part of a field that you always hunt, drive a piece of rebar in the ground and use a bungee cord.
willyjaneshuff
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I use jerk string and several mojos!!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Quacker smacker 30 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 pm

I bought the jerk spreader by mojo it uses up to a dozen decoys works awsome I also use 8 mojo's along with it and 15 dozen decoys not to many just fly by without coming in to check out the spread but I have a big boat and hunt big water.For the marsh hunter it would be good because the pole the jerk cord tie to is a mojo pole best of both worlds
Quacker smacker 30
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby jfulco » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:17 pm

I love the sound of the water and ripples of a jerk string. I took a five foot wooden pole with a bungie cord connected to it. I tie a feeder butt to it and string it to my blind. Its my favorite weapon! A couple of loud splashes will turn ducks and don't tend to spook as robo does with them sometimes in close. I also love my "widow maker" gotten from Herters many years ago. battery operated -- feet in back make some ripples and wings move some.
jfulco
hunter

Postby RugerandMe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I think a guy earlier said this but I made 4 motion decoys with weasel balls. I also use 2 mojos and attach 3 decoys to a jerk string. This set up along with about a half dozen other decoys seems to work great in the swamps and backwater areas that we hunt.
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby duckydialect » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:40 pm

I have had success with both methods. Usually early morning we stick to using the Jerk String, and as the day goes on, (Usually after adjusting the decoy spread 5 million times) :biggrin: , we may pull out the mojo, or mallard machine for grins. Like I said, I think both have their time and place, but until the local brain surgeons can start doing mind swaps between humans and fowl, us duck hunters will just have to keep guessing. :huh:
"Watch out for the Gumbo Mud."
duckydialect
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:43 am

emusmacker wrote: Also think a jerk string is a great idea. Only problem I have is if I'm hunting alone, it's harder to pull the jerk string, blow the call and then shoulder my gun whereas with my mojo I hit the button on the remote and it's on or off.

I agree this 100% Its a lot easier if one hunter runs the call and one runs the jerk cord.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 am

What is thew recommended weight of anchors for jerk cords? Becuase I made some home-made anchors out of concrete poured into 32oz soda cups. If this is enough weight for usage with 4 dekes on a jerk string, I will drive the rebar into the dirt, but I'd prefer option no. 1, as my pool is already flooded (and filled with ducks) ONE WEEK til season starts! Hallelujah!
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby whack'n'stack44 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 pm

jerk strings all the way! :thumbsup:
whack'n'stack44
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:15 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:What is thew recommended weight of anchors for jerk cords? Becuase I made some home-made anchors out of concrete poured into 32oz soda cups.

Depends on what the bottom is made outta. If its weedy then a grapple type weight is more than enough. It's the hard bottoms that you need a lot of weight so you don't start dragging the rig towards the blind. If its a privately owned hole just leave a old anchor or cinder block to clip to
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 pm

one guy on another thread said he uses a bleach bottle, full of sand, with the string running freely through the finger hole. might help with the decs moving back to the blind.
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 pm

1diverdown wrote:one guy on another thread said he uses a bleach bottle, full of sand, with the string running freely through the finger hole. might help with the decs moving back to the blind.

That would be to keep the line under the water so when you pull it in the blind it doesnt break the surface. The anchor at the end of the line is what prevents the whole setup from moving closer to the blind :thumbsup:
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:34 pm

I feel like I'm pretty good at calling but running my baby mojo hen facing into the wind in the hole I've designated the ducks to land on in my spread seems to help with scrap ducks more so than mallards. Teal and woodsy who wouldn't otherwise care about my call or spread of mallards seem to try and land next to my spinner much more often than when I'm not using it but no matter what if water is calm and you wanna use a spinner. put out a jerk string anyway, motion above the water makes no ripples.
drake mallards have green heads
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:
1diverdown wrote:one guy on another thread said he uses a bleach bottle, full of sand, with the string running freely through the finger hole. might help with the decs moving back to the blind.

That would be to keep the line under the water so when you pull it in the blind it doesnt break the surface. The anchor at the end of the line is what prevents the whole setup from moving closer to the blind :thumbsup:

But I'm thinking the freedom with which the line can move though the hole, without it pulling back, is the advantage. Filled with sand, the jug should be heavy enough to to hold against the weight of the decoy rig, and someone pulling it, so long as nothing gets caught up in the hole. Not sure, really; just thought that it might just work. :wink:
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

1diverdown wrote:
shoot-n-goose wrote:

But I'm thinking the freedom with which the line can move though the hole, without it pulling back, is the advantage. Filled with sand, the jug should be heavy enough to to hold against the weight of the decoy rig, and someone pulling it, so long as nothing gets caught up in the hole. Not sure, really; just thought that it might just work. :wink:

So the string runs through the handle of the jug. One end goes to the blind, the other goes to................ :huh:

If the other end went to the decoys, the decoys would simply be pulled to the jug, there would be nothing to make them rebound when the string is released. You need a solid anchor point that the shock cord can be stretched against
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 am

for those of you who use a jerk line from a boat.... what do you do with the line when you run out to retrieve birds? I made one quick last week and then realized that it sank... I had to drive my push pole handle first into the slop, then hand my spool of line under the blind to my other hand and rest it on the pole while I went out in the boat...seams like a pain... you guys use something that floats for spooling extra line onto?
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 pm

RugerandMe wrote:I think a guy earlier said this but I made 4 motion decoys with weasel balls. I also use 2 mojos and attach 3 decoys to a jerk string. This set up along with about a half dozen other decoys seems to work great in the swamps and backwater areas that we hunt.

X2 on the weasel balls.
Dave63
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:29 pm

I use a very similar set up instead of your tratiditoanal jerk rig, but i only attach one decoy to a spool of decoy cord that goes back to the blind, when you pull on the cord it gives the decoy a motion that resembles a duck tipping to feed, makes plenty of ripples and it works birds in quite well!
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:18 am

TomKat wrote:I have seen the light- spinners do in fact work. I know how to call; I have a rig 'em right and I will soon have a mojo. I am going to use all of them.

TomKat and I usually agree on quite a few subjects (M2 Field, Wolff Springs etc etc), but I'm not completely sold on spinners. That might be because here in OR we don't have the luxury of being able to use "real" spinners. We are limited to manually powered spinners which may or may not any better or worse, but I've seen my spinner flare more birds than bring them in. I think having two or three seem to work the the best so it looks like multiple birds landing instead of single. In anycase, I prefer the jerk string with 3-4 decoys on it...that with a good spread works wonders for me. :hi:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby 1diverdown » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:38 pm

I've seen them flair a group, and then watched one touch down, right next to it, on the very next pass. Most effective in low light conditions; but with that said, they're not banned because they don't kill ducks.
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby choc24/7 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 am

jerk string!!!!!....we recently are going through a 3 year ban study on spinners where i hunt and it is great......
nothin like watchin' prior skybustin'

i usually have good seats for the show
choc24/7
hunter

Postby j.cooper1444 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Just wanting to throw this out there about the jerk string. I find it better to use a pole instead of an anchor for the jerk string. And honestly I think Mojos work great at a distance but I wish they were in the pit with me when the birds get close. I'm considering buying a Duck flag. That way I can use It to draw attention, then ditch it immediately. I am a fan of the jerk string.
j.cooper1444
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting