To Shoot or not to shoot?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

A duck flying 50 yards out. Do you shoot, or wait for a closer shot?

Shoot, you may not get another chance!
19%
Don't shoot! There will be another along, shortly
81%

Total votes : 70

To Shoot or not to shoot?

Postby duckplucker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:13 pm

Theres always the question of ethical hunting. So what happens when you're out hunting and that questionable shot arises... do you shoot or not? Im just curious what you all have to say on this one, and my opinion, just for the record, would be to shoot, he may be the only bird you see all day.

:salude:
duckplucker
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:19 pm

he may be the only duck all day but i bet he wont be the only duck all year and besides why wond him and not get him when you can let him got and let him make 3 more duckys for me to shot at next year
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:22 pm

yellowlab wrote:he may be the only duck all day but i bet he wont be the only duck all year and besides why wond him and not get him when you can let him got and let him make 3 more duckys for me to shot at next year

I agree. Even if he flies away, if you get shot in him he might die a week later. Let him fly away. 50 yards is along shot especially for a duck load.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

To shoot or not to shoot

Postby REM110 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:22 pm

50 yards is a shot that has been made many times by many of people, most of the time more from luck than skill. Myself let the bird go and encourage others that hunt with you to do the same.

Stephen
Ontario
REM110
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:50 pm

Last hunt of the year...blast away, opening weekend...you'll get another chance. Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:56 pm

lol nice point ducksbues i am think i would do the same unless there were alot of birds in the air then i would wait.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mccree79 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:05 pm

I have only killed 2 ducks 50+ yards out. #1 steel at 65 yards that was about 90% luck. Another at about 50 yards with hevi-shot #2 w/ patternmaster choke tube, that duck was crushed.
mccree79
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:24 pm

I would try and let them get in closer.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:08 pm

You guys make a good point. I didn't really consider both sides of that before making my decision, but the more i think about it, the less i would try a shot at 50 yards. Its more a decision that you would make on the spur of the moment, and not have time to consider what might result. I was just curious how many would or wouldn't try it at that range.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:12 pm

It would depend if I was pass shooting or not.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:10 pm

a few guys here are missing the whole point in waterfowling. is the whole point to go out and shoot a limit of ducks everyday? 50 yard shot is skybusting PERIOD!
something absolutely not tolerated in my blind or my presense for that matter. why do we have decoys and calls if you are not going to work birds into range. let em pass there is always tomarrow. i dont care if it is opening day or the last day of the season. to have a good chance of injuring a bird for no other reason than long range target practice buy a box of clays. it is our job to conserve and preserve these waterfowl for years to come. one dead in hand is much better than one dead and floating a week later. that just feeds the predators that destroy nests and kill generations of new ducks. think about it guys
Rowdy
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:30 pm

If you have the right choke,ammo,and a going away shot I guess I would shoot that duck, but if the shot wasn't a good one I'd pass on it. With todays new ammo's (hevi-shot namely) and a full to extra full choke 50 yds isn't that long of a shot. If I was carrying a mod choked 12 with steel I wouldn't shoot because steel loses it's energy too much at that range so a clean kill isn't probable but with full choke #2 hevi-shot (or similar) in 3in or 3 1/2in, kill that duck.
Know what your shooting and know it's limits and you'll know what to shoot at , and what not to.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby carp » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:03 pm

I agree a lot with rowdy. I dont shoot at ducks over 30 yards. If I cant have them over the blocks I dont shoot. Thats my prefrence. In my experince when people start shooting at ducks at 50 yards and drop one, It just incourages them to shoot longer and longer shoots. It gets to where it is down right stupid at what there shooting at.

Im off my soap box. Everybody go back to having fun :getdown:
carp
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:26 pm

AMEN Rowdy!!!! :thumbsup:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:38 pm

50 yard shot is a little far. :eek:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

To shoot or not t shooto

Postby T REX N TENN » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:41 am

I personally would prefer them at about 20yds but here in nw tenn especially Reelfoot Lake if a greenie is at 50yds you better come out guns blazzing! Reason being that there are probably 20 to 30 blinds within enough range to spook em' because if one is at 65 yds they're smoking his a--. Luckily enough there is a refuge on the north end of the lake that supplies everyone with plenty of chances. I do agree with the others who would let him go but you have to take into consideration alot of hunting factors;competition,shooting skills-there are those of us out there this would be any other shot,wind speed and direction the greenies flying, and what load your throwing at him. But I'll play devil's advocate and say on the 27th Nov {opening day statewide}, 5 minutes after shooting time, I'm smoke polin' his fanny. :hammering:
T REX N TENN
Newb

Postby twoscoots » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:56 pm

50 yards is along waaaays ,even for a swamp hunter like my self who counts himself lucky if I manage to get near the exact hole that the woodies have picked to splash down in! This is really a trick question , if ya shootin over the blocks' and they're sitting 20-25 yards out....NOPE, no shot. If your in the swamp and you realize that the jerk down the run' is used to shooting birds over decoys and now is totally out of his element trying to pass shoot the woodies as they make like an X-WING fighter going through the tops of the gum' trees, .... I will switch loads and pick out a shot that Im confident with. To say that ANY 50 yard shot is wrong, well thats a matter of opinion! Mines is "know your limitations, I have to make difficult shots every time I go into a swamp. I cant wait to go back out to the big water where the birds come straight into the blocks (cake) :cool:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:00 pm

i admit i have taken a few shots like that but lot of the times it was all we saw all day or something along those lines. but id recomend dont shoot and if hes flyin away just try working him a lil harder if he doesnt come back just focus on the next bird.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:43 pm

Out of all the above reply's I would have to say Rowdy's the kind of Sports Person we need more of not the If I can see it I can hit it, sky bustin fools.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:48 pm

Dont Shoot ( Try to get the birds to work thats what duck hunting is about. Working birds)
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:20 pm

It depends on the hunting situation. In Western Kentucky alot of the time that is the closest any ducks will work, especially in the later part of the season. I have seen many ducks fall to steel shot at 50 yards. I have also seen alot of geese shot at 80 yards stairt up. Like someone said, know your limitations. For my hunting group, that's a dead bird. Just my two cents. :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:14 pm

I'd never shoot at a duck that far..................read my signature.... :mrgreen:
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:17 pm

For my hunting group, that's a dead bird. Just my two cents.

What lead do you give on a 50 yard duck?
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:17 pm

I personally like um closer than that.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Giv'em3 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:24 pm

What lead do you give on a 50 yard duck?

Well bro, it depends on the flight of the duck. How fast it is going. How strong the wind is. If it's a Mallard flying strait over head with a calm wind, probably about 9 to 10 feet in front of it's flight path.
With 3 1/2 inch steel 2shot, anderson full choke, that's really not a tuff shot to make. But to each his own. That's fine if you wouldn't take the shot, but for me that's a dead bird. Thanks for asking. :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting