To Shoot or not to shoot?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

A duck flying 50 yards out. Do you shoot, or wait for a closer shot?

Shoot, you may not get another chance!
19%
Don't shoot! There will be another along, shortly
81%

Total votes : 70

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:33 am

That's fine if you wouldn't take the shot, but for me that's a dead bird. Thanks for asking.

Wasn't trying to rag on you....just curious. :mrgreen:
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:15 pm

Wasn't trying to rag on you....just curious.

Cool Beans, Sorry thought you was. Didn't mean to start off on the wrong foot.:thumbsup:

I personally like um closer than that

Me too, couldn't agree more. I like to be able to feel the wind off their backstroke, but sometimes you must take what you get. LOL
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby duckydoo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:08 pm

Take em now! I kill ducks easily at 50 yrds. But the shots I usually take are about 25-30 yrds, right over the blocks. If the ducks are droppin in like rain on you then no don't take the shot let them get as close as possible. But if it's extremely slow and you sittin or standing around with your fingers up your butt or nose, and the little amount of ducks around that absolutely do not want to commit or work the blocks then empty your gun on it until that duck takes its last quack. And definitely take that shot if it's the last day of the season, think about it. You're not going to be able to kill another duck for another 9 long mos!
duckydoo
hunter

Postby Remmag » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:53 pm

If your using the ALMIGHTY HEVI, TUNGSTEN or any of them other go ahead and bang away. It's in range for loads like these since they are so close to lead shot/
Remmag
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:35 pm

I know and have hunted with people who can pull off a 50 yard shot 9 times out of 10, but I'm not one of them. I like them inside of 30 yards, so I wouldn't shoot at it. It all depends on your skill.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:18 am

If I have not convinced them to commit I just don't shoot any more. It is just the only way it is fun for me these days. Saves on shells and seldom do you cripple a bird. I wont tax someone for taking good passing shot though I used to.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Bucky193 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 am

U never know it might take a circle and come right back to u
If only my dog could talk and cook I wouldn't need a wife.
Bucky193
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting