makin a wood duck pond

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

makin a wood duck pond

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:33 pm

near my house is a very small creek. its only about 6 feet wide in the smallest part, but there's several smaller runoff creeks in the same area. ive seen wood ducks on several occasions, but they were in small groups of 4-5 in the creek. i was wondering, if i was able to dig and reroute some of these smaller runoff creeks and flood an area if this would work better to attract them. i was also thinking about putting some corn out to help attract them better. any ideas would be apprectiated.
t-ville
hunter

Postby jhrper » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:36 pm

maybe you should try to put up some nesting boxes for the woodies. You can find plan for them on the web.
jhrper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Are you just wanting to do this to watch them????
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:33 pm

no...this would be for hunting purposes.
t-ville
hunter

Postby greenheadhunter7 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:35 pm

You could corn them in the off season, but you better make sure its all gone come hunting time. If you planted something in and around your "pond" for them to feed on and have cover, you could hunt it legally and have a nice spot to go shoot some woodies.
greenheadhunter7
Banned

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:59 pm

you think rerouthing some of those smaller runoff creeks and flooding an area would be effective? this is an area that usually has standing water anyways, but its not very deep. how deep would this area need to be? if i flooded the area it would probably range from 4 in-2 feet deep. i guess i could dig an area for the water to fill up. i guess i could also plant corn on the bank of the creek itself, but the creek is very small with steep banks...creek=3-8ft. across, averages 2 feet deep with lots of 3-4 foot holes.

if anybody has a better idea please let me know
t-ville
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:30 pm

As long as this takes place on your property and the water is not used for farming or other uses, where other people pay for its use, you have no problems.

If the land is "claimed" , the owner has the right to make you return it to "originl condition" if he/she so desires.

However; this is if the party, has proff that you did the "improvments".

Erosion, water & mother nature, do strange things........
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:48 am

I wonder if you could put some beavers in there? They do an excellant job at making a beaver/wood duck pond.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:24 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckhunter25 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 am

Plant wild rice or duck weed. thats what we do here. works well. also nesting boxes so they use the pond in spring and summer as well. Is this a creek or pond setup? You probobly shouldn't dam it up and go digging there if you dont own it cause land owners could get pissed and you could destroy much need habitat.

:salude:
duckhunter25
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting