DECOY HELP

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

DECOY HELP

Postby VTduckman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:54 pm

I want to add some decoys and some motion to my spread but im on a tight budget.Any suggestions on what to get, and any secrets to the normal U,V, or X spreads? also is the ECHO double reed a good duck call to get. :help:
VTduckman
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:09 pm

The echo double timber is awesome!

As far as spreads, throw out some decoys and if the birds don't finish keep changing it around until they do... They don't work the same everyday...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:31 pm

My spring project is to build a remote decoy. I am going to take a Radio shack cheaper remote control boat and a couple of decoys and create an interchangeable remote decoy to add some movement. I will cut a hole in the decoys and use spray foam to make it fit. I plan on making it so I can change species of decoys easily. I'll post up the process and the final product.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Yea i cant believe those remote things run for 100 bucks.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby bushwacking » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:03 pm

i have seen them for 50 in a red head catalog and at cabelas
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby Browningshooter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:15 pm

If your looking for motorized duck decoys look on ebay. I got a flambeau for $40 dollars its a factory second but it looks and runs fine.
hunt eat sleep(after season)
Browningshooter
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:16 pm

I know not to get those torpedo keels. I think i got mine out of macks for like 10 bucks. I broke both before there was really any water for them to swim in. The plastic part that fits onto the keel just cracked and cant be used any more. These are the torpedo keels that snap into snap-lock, the ones that avery uses. As for a pattern for the spread, I always go with putting like with like, or at least whistlers with whistlers and quackers with quackers. Put the hole in front of you and make sure you take the wind in consideration and when the birds come, light'em up.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:04 pm

98ramtough wrote:
As far as spreads, throw out some decoys and if the birds don't finish keep changing it around until they do... They don't work the same everyday...

what he said :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby spencerusmc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm

If you have a cabelas close, go. Even if it is a few hours, and dig through stuff in the bargin cave, what they put online is no where near what they really have in there, i got a mojo for 50% off just because the box got dropped and kicked a few times but the decoy was in perfect shape, like i said go in there and dig you'll be amazed as to what you can find
spencerusmc
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:20 pm

you want cheap motion in your spread then add a little redneck into it, find something to keep the decoys weighted down (im a mechanic so i have access to lead) and then tye fishing line to about four or five decoys and shake rattle and BAMMM.

P.S. i know that x works well with goose but like ram said they don't act the same everyday.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: DECOY HELP

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 am

VTduckman wrote:I want to add some decoys and some motion to my spread but im on a tight budget.Any suggestions on what to get, and any secrets to the normal U,V, or X spreads? also is the ECHO double reed a good duck call to get. :help:

Rig up a jerk cord, it will help a great deal.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:29 pm

I rigged a jerk cord last night , gonna see how it works when the ice melts. also i am thinking about bying a Mojo Baby , its only 65 bucks. anyone got one , how big is it?
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:44 pm

I forgot I'm making 2 remote control decoy boats so I can race a buddy during slow times. Which there are lots of them here in arizona.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:53 pm

i am buying a cheap RC boat and im gonna cut the bottom off of one of my decoys and use that foam stuff to put it in there and see how it works.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:00 am

VTduckman wrote:i am buying a cheap RC boat and im gonna cut the bottom off of one of my decoys and use that foam stuff to put it in there and see how it works.

I hear it works well. A guy I work with has one of those. He used a hen for the boat and got an inflatable drake. He tied the drake to the hen somehow (he mentioned something about them swimming in pairs). Said it worked pretty cool, but he didn't kill many ducks this season.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm

VTduckman, i don't know how much of tight buget your on but i was looking through some of my mags and saw a "deepwater splash and feed" decoy in the mack's prairie wings mag, its 40 buck but looks awsome hell i might get one. Its says it splashes, feeds, bathes and even dives under water. The ripples from this decoy will make your whole spread move, check it out on www.MACKSPW.com
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting