good call

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

good call

Postby side-slippin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:34 am

hey ya'll i am looking for a good duck call, i got my eye on the big guys best "sweet talker". but i cant find any sites that say if it is a double or single reed. anyone know? im stationed in idaho and queiter calls are what im told works best up here(so it doesnt echo off the canyon walls so loud and flare my ducks). looked at a lot of calls and kinda of have my eye on this one. just looking for some suggestions, thanx in advance.

anyone that hunts around mtn. home area, your comments would be great since thats mainly where i hunt, but appriciate all pointers reguardless.
side-slippin
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:54 am

It says that its for close-in calling so i'd say double, which is what you need if your birds are call shy from it echoin off the mountains, i like haydel's call shizzle http://www.haydels.com/pages/watfowl.calls/sz-05.html for my close in callin.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:25 am

Maybe check out sum wooden calls, I got an old wooden call with no markings, and, is the duckiest qwack Ive ever heard from somthing made by man...Mallardtone is a soft qwacker...Haydels DR-85, under $15 and sounds very sweet...Get ya a drake grunt/whistle as well. I turn more ducks EVERY year with the whistle :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:11 am

I'm between the Watkins swamp bore, ,and the Basin Abomination Drama Queen right now. I asked this question a couple weeks ago on a different forum and this is what i narrowed it down to.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

for quiet, i think one of the best sounding out there is the Echo Timber. Its a great little call, won't echo, and if you need to use it, it can get pretty loud.

I would deffinately check it out
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:32 pm

as far as fairly inexpensive calls go, i just picked up a poly power hen. it is the best call i personally have blown for under 30 bucks. the only problem is some of them are real prone to stickin. if your a heavy spitter, you may look elsewhere. i know buck gardner will have his poly spit techs out before next season, or so i've heard. you may wanna wait and try one of those.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby woodduckhunter » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:42 pm

I just bought a wooden double reed call that is made by Big River? I bought it at gander mountain for $15. I have also seen this call is cabelas waterfowl catalog. This call produces great feed chuckles, and good quacks. The call doesn't produce quacks that well but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7 or 8. You will not win any calling contest with it, but in my opinion, it is an awesome meat call.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 pm

I also have a wooden Big River that is 10 years old or more. I just took it off the lanyard this year for my HS Ringer2. But it was in my pocket the whole time.

I have a Watkins Swampbore on the way. I'll let you know what I think.

I have a Cutt Down Game Calls double read that can do everything but quack softly. As in I don't like the soft quack but love every other sound. Ducks seem to like it. I used it a lot last season.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Good calls

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:00 am

Hey I hunt the same areas and You cant beat a wood call. I use the same Faulks call I bought 12 years ago.
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby labman45 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:01 pm

The Shizzle is an open water call so dont get it if it is echoin off the mountains another reason I wouldnt get the shizzle is because of the Haydels factor. An echo single reed timber call would be just fine :thumbsup:
Call Em And Kill EM
labman45
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 pm

buck gardners double nasty 2 will do the trick hunt next to mountains all the time doesn't seem to bother the birds
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby honkershooter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:41 pm

the zink power hen sounds real good and its a single reed
honk..honk..honk..get readyget ready...CUT EM!
honkershooter
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:40 pm

Try the rnt and echo timber calls in hedge or cocabolo. I lked the echo better until i played around with diffrent reeds in the rnt. Now the rnt stay's on the lanyard. :thumbsup: Also the Tim Grounds sweet meet is a nice call. Won't get to loud and has a really soft low end.
THIN MAN
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting