Im new to hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Im new to hunting

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 pm

i mainly hunt a big river, and i was wondering how many dekes you guys normally throw out for a bigger water spread?is it size or quality(for decoys im talking) :yes:
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 pm

depends on the type of ducks im hunting. some cases i put out 90 to a 100 single line in 12 ft of water when were hunting with bluebills,blacks,redheads,cans and mallards when hunting a certian area around me and then in another spot we put out 6 to 7 dozen mallards and a dozen blue bill. with full body mallards on land and 2 mojos. it also depends on how the ducks are in your area in like in mine the mallards and blacks raft up with the diver out on the big water. and another thing is the amount of ducks in your area you shouldn't have huge spreads when there aren't that many ducks in the area. come flight bird time put them all out :thumbsup:
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kyfowler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:56 pm

:withstupid:
i hunt the Ohiio River and we normally run 36 to 100 decoys. it all depends on the area birds, etc..
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:00 am

We hunt a big river and normally hunt over 3 to 4 dozen decoys but somedays we've killed our limit on only a dozen decoys. I guess if your a good caller and can get their attention with small spreads you will be fine
Mallard Machine
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting