Decoy question?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Decoy question?

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:27 pm

I was wondering, if i plan to shoot mallards, GW teal, widgon, and some pintail, would you guys put out an assortment of decoys, or just one type. Does it really make much of a difference? This year we just used Mallards.
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:14 pm

I dont know that it makes that much of a difference. We use to kill birds over just mallards, or just bottles. But now I feel the need to make things look more realistic, I think its for the hunter more than anything. But we always make our stuff look like the birds weve been seeing as far as what kind and where and how they were sitting. Just makes me feel better.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby SwampHunter » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:36 pm

Early in the year i just use mallards but as it get later and the birds get smarter then you need to change things up with colors and spread.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:10 pm

I have killed bluebills and ringnecks over mallard blocks.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 2 tollers » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Throw in a couple of floating goose decoys - this gets their attention more than mixed duck decoys. Put the goose decoys a little off the side of the hole you want the ducks to land in. Works real good. I used to drop 7 dz floating duck decoys now I use 1 to 2 dz and 3 floating goose decoys.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 am

I like drake pintail blocks. Pinnies decoy much better to their own kind it seems to me. The white on the drakes is also highly visible to other ducks flying by. Another thing I like is goose feeder butts. The white on them really stands out and I think gives you great drawing power. I also have GWT dekes in my bag. I am working on some gaddies to make it more realistic.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Early in the season, I just use 12-40 mallards. Later in the year, I add in a few teal, woodducks, widgeons, gadwalls, and a dozen ringnecks for color.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby labman45 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:57 pm

I would have a variety of the species that you will be shooting and put out the duck that will be shot the most.

Or instead of a big spread find where the birds wanna be and setup about four or five dekes and wait.

Hope i helped :yes:
labman45
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting