decoy setups

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

decoy setups

Postby woodduckhunter » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm

I fairly am new to duck hunting( I have been hunting hard for 2 years). I am 14 years old and do nothing but duck hunt every weekend. I hunt mailny small ponds(1-5acres) Normally I only use 12-25 decoys. These are the decoys I own 30 mallards, 12 gadwalls, 12 teal, 6 ringneck, 6 widgeon, and 6 woodducks. I was just wondering how I should set decoys when I want to use a bigger spread?(30-50 decoys)
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:37 am

Ill bet you could do good with 6-7 decoys on your small ponds...Ive killed MANY a duck with 3 decoys, expecially early in the season. Put another 3-4 on a jerk cord and see what happens :thumbsup: When using different species, try putttin' em in thier own family pods :cool: :cool: :cool:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:38 am

When I'm hunting bigger spreads which isn't often, I have been hunting divers so I don't ahve a lot to add, but Hunt what you see in the area. I now have small sets of Gadwalls, Mallards, teal, and Widgeon that I have for different locations. One place I will use 3 mallards and 2 widgeon of to the side. Or only teal earlier in the season. Another spot I don't even think about bringing Mallards at all. And I'm thinking about a half dozen shovelers for my new spot late in the year just to make it look real.

Hunt what you see in the area you are in. Scouting Scouting Scouting, and more scouting thats the best way to do it. What type of birds and where do they want to be depending on wheather conditions. The wind will dictate where they want to be on a piece of water. Find where the birds want to be. Its a lot easier to go to them than bring them to you.

And I don't even use decoys some days on small water. And I have hunted bigger water than your talking about with 12 or less decoys more times than I have with big spreads.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:11 am

LIGHT12 wrote: Scouting Scouting Scouting, and more scouting thats the best way to do it.

:withstupid:

if your a serious duck hunter, and dont take me wrong it sounds liki you are, then take time to just sit and watch the ducks while they are in your ponds. that will tell you more than anyone on this forum can. it will show you how you need to mix your spread and where the best places to set up are, etc. its not a bad idea to start a hunting log either. im not talking about a diary where you write 5 pages for each trip out, just jot down the important stuff, like weather, wind, pressure systems that are on their way(you can get most of this stuff off the weather channel) how many you got, and any other places that you saw the ducks landing. just the important stuff, and then that way if you see any similiarities in the future, you will have a better idea of where you want to set up.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Good advice side-slippen, I’m glad to see you’ve taken this sport to heart. I can see the passion that you have for this sport. What you’ve spelled out in your post is dedication and commitment and the “old school” way of thinking, and approach to duck hunting :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting