confidence decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

confidence decoys

Postby side-slippin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:31 am

was donating money to cabelas today and came across some decoys from carry-lite that were sandhill cranes, blue haron, etc. just wondering if anyone has used them and if they work or just a waste of money. maybe something to experiment with. its all trial and error right?
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 pm

I hear alot of good about them for sure, I never used them personally but i do know that those birds are extremely weary so hey they might work great. My buddy bought one and used it a couple times and killed ducks, but i personally haven't shot over it yet maybe this year coming!! :thumbsup:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:46 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:39 pm

I’ve found that any kind of confidence decoys work great. Some of the best are the ones that fly in; I mean fish ducks and cranes. I’ll let them sit in the spread and not spook them. Some stay a couple of minutes others a half hour or more, fun to watch as well :cool:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:59 pm

The great blue heron has been effective here in the Northeast......although it is difficult to note if success really improves with it in place.....I also use crows in cornfields hunting geese, and they certainly add to the realism but again not sure if they increase success rates......and on the salt I sometimes put out a couple of gulls. Hey, it makes me feel like I am doing all I can to mix things up as in reallife. We also see a mix of 'everything' when glassing or even when hunting, so why not replicate. Swans are another good confidence deke.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm

Yeah we had 3 swans land in our decoys last season. Whether they helped or not, I don't know, but it sure made me think it was.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby wspiller » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 pm

I have put out a herd of deer decoys in the corn field before, looked neat, we killed geese dont know if that had anything to do with it but it was neat to look back there and see the deer def something diff
wspiller
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:16 pm

I used a GBH for a couple of years, imposible to tell if it made a difference, but I found it a pain in the ass because of the size of it, it is now a lawn ornament. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby WI_Trapper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:26 pm

I have used flocked crow decoys for ducks and geese and I like to think it helped.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I'm Not A Hippie, Just a Well-Groomed Mountain Man"
WI_Trapper
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:55 am

I've always thought about painting some duck decoys to look like farm ducks. Around the parks and stuff I have seen farm ducks in with the others, and have always thought it might work with hunting too. I know that nobody around here does it.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:03 pm

I also have use a Great blue Heron decoy, Gulls, and Crow decoys.
I used Widgeon's in my diver rig, Geese in my puddler rig, and Crows in my Goose rig.
Did it make any difference.........somedays I like to think it did. because it seem to draw the birds we were targetting somewhat closer, when all else was the way it should have been. Other days....it seemed a waste of time.....but it's really hard to tell. I'm just a sucker for realism.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting