tactics for killin woddies?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

tactics for killin woddies?

Postby whack'n'stack44 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:50 pm

was wondering how everyones been shootin woodies this year?
whack'n'stack44
hunter

Re: tactics for killin woddies?

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Go to the open ocean like I told you earlier :fingerhead: Be where they want to be. I've killed hundreds of them and they key is to be where they want to be. They don't usually decoy too well so you're gonna have to scout in order to figure out where they are and where they want to be :thumbsup:
Last edited by duckman27 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckman27
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:21 pm

...with a shotgun... but seriously all the woodies I killed this year were either jump shot or shot over decoys. My pond has a lot of woodies traffic since it's surrounded mostly by trees. I didn't have woodie decoys but they landed in mallards. Next year I might buy a woodie call cuz I think they sound cool and might work :biggrin:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby garret schukis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 pm

jump them look at my photos and you will see some the draks i have got
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby majohns » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:29 pm

We have passers jn the swamp and puddle hop the creek all day. I use the duck comander woody call, its the best sounding woody call i have bought.

Sent from my Samsung Charge using Tapatalk
majohns
Newb

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I kill lots of woodies up here field hunting actually. If you are in an area where there is cut crop along a creek, river, what have you they will come in the field to eat. They do up here in ND anyway. They finish in the decoys just like mallards.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby allnighter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Like it was said before you really just need to be where they want to be. Find acorn over water and get really Is the best think I can tell you.
allnighter
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 pm

in utah woodies are extremely hard to find because they are not a native species. you really need to do some scouting. i just got my first full feathered drake last week. and is it just me or are they hard to kill? i've shot 3 others this year and i've lost them because they've swam away. the only reason i got mine is because it fell on some ice and got stuck. anyways.... SCOUTING! get some face paint and start sneaking through the bushes.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby whack'n'stack44 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm

allnighter wrote:Like it was said before you really just need to be where they want to be. Find acorn over water and get really Is the best think I can tell you.

Yup thts how we kill em' in SC.. if you aint where they wanna be then you aint killin em'. :no:
whack'n'stack44
hunter

Postby rednavy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:42 pm

LOTS OF RIPPLES. thats what catches there eye
rednavy
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 am

duckman27 wrote:Go to the open ocean like I told you earlier :fingerhead: Be where they want to be. I've killed hundreds of them and they key is to be where they want to be. They don't usually decoy too well so you're gonna have to scout in order to figure out where they are and where they want to be :thumbsup:

great advice. woodies got a mind of their own. you just gotta be in the right spot. if your are where they wanna be you can absolutely smash em
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby rednavy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 am

As long as you have motion on the water they decoy prity easy
rednavy
hunter

Postby klex » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm sure we hunt your same scenarios here in Ga. it seems to me they are gonna go where there gonna go regardless of what you have out. Ripples seem to be the best thing to bring them in rather than decoys or calls. IMHO
Mossy Creek Game Calls
klex
Newb

Postby jg715 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 pm

I second on the Duck Commander WD-1 Wood Duck Call it works great and is the best sounding wood duck call out there. Woodies from what I have seen down here in MS dont really respond too well to calls or decoys in the early season! Good Luck!
2011-2012 Season
2 Canadas
10 Woodies
1 Hooded Merganser
1 Ringneck
jg715
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 pm

luie b wrote:...with a shotgun... but seriously all the woodies I killed this year were either jump shot or shot over decoys. My pond has a lot of woodies traffic since it's surrounded mostly by trees. I didn't have woodie decoys but they landed in mallards. Next year I might buy a woodie call cuz I think they sound cool and might work :biggrin:

Had good luck with an ol cheapo knight and hale wood duck call this year. In one instance called in some birds that were high flying and haulin arss. Just got to figure out what they want to hear on what days with diff groups of birds. I have actually had decoys scare off wood ducks so try to put them where they can see them but not in the spot where they wanna land. They seem to like alot of motion in the deeks to.

Key to killin woodies.
1. Put in the leg work and be where they want to be.
2. Really thats about it. We shoot alot of pass over birds on the river down in south georgia
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby Green Ducks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:50 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:in utah woodies are extremely hard to find because they are not a native species. you really need to do some scouting. i just got my first full feathered drake last week. and is it just me or are they hard to kill? i've shot 3 others this year and i've lost them because they've swam away. the only reason i got mine is because it fell on some ice and got stuck. anyways.... SCOUTING! get some face paint and start sneaking through the bushes.

Its just you, they are pretty easy to kill. I have jumps shot eal most every wood duck Ive shot, they like beaver ponds and really brushy stuff like that. They usually arent very smart though and sneaking up on them isnt that tough as long as they cant see you.
Let the Benelli eat
Green Ducks
hunter

Postby AlabamaOutdoors » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 pm

We hit them hard this year in early season. Mid season was okay and late season we got them good also. Not all that much action on the lake, majority of our woodies came out of ponds, some were feeding holes, and others were roosting holes. But Im from southeastern Alabama.
Its really about just being out there......War Eagle!

Genesis 27:3|Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
AlabamaOutdoors
hunter

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Mostly I shoot Woodies over decoys , but every once in a while jump shoot em
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 pm

CHOOT 'EM! CHOOT 'EM!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Tomfowl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:08 pm

A quick glance at a photograph of Nancy Pelosi should kill any woodie.
Tomfowl
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I have noticed that putting my decoys in the brush works really well too. Common sense would tell you to put them out in the open where they can see them. But I've actually had woodies circle my swamps and could see their heads turning looking into the buck brush, then seeing no dekes in there they would leave. Seeing this, I quickly put my woodie blocks over in the brush and the next couple flocks dropped right in. Been doing it this way ever since. While the woodies usually won't land in the thick, they usually land in the open then quickly swim into the brush. But if you think about, on the way back to the boat landing after hunting.... how many woodies do you jump from open water versus just inside the tree line or nestled into a log jam. I also usually only use 2 maybe 3 woodie dekes when I'm targeting them. Mostly in part that I have a decent walk from the boat but it seems to work almost every time. Hope this helps you out this year.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby alwoodywacker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

we usually just find a spot on a creek that has a few birds in it the cut the trees down in a small shooting lanes not to look like a good hole cut out for everyone to mooch off of. then we "enhance" the hole in pre-season. build a smalls blinds, dog platforms, boat hide, etc. between 2 people a few birds is not hard to come by. Alabama seems to be the wood duck mecca tho.
Attachments
331329_2363653603412_265899477_o.jpg
blinds like these seem to shy birds after a few shootings
alwoodywacker
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 pm

i know most of this has been said already but for me they love acrorns right on the water, a duck commanded woodie call is a must, i use a mixed bag of mallards, wonder ducks, and mojos as well as some good woodie decoys. having a spread that looks different from joe blow down the way always helps as well. the best tool how ever is a call, ive turned more woodies on a dime with my DC woodie call
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting