mallard machine

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

mallard machine

Postby side-slippin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 am

i picked up a mallard machine from wallmart for 20 bucks. never used one or even seen one in someone elses spread, but i figured for that price i can at least try it out right? just wondering if anyone on here has every used one and what they thought about it. does it work good? better in early/late/all season long? is it user friendly? any other comments are greatly appriciated. thanx in advance
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am

jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:32 pm

Works great for us if u have any other questions that weren't answered in those 2 links that JJ sent just ask me i'll be more that willing to help you learn how to use it well CHEERS :salude:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm

I bought one as well, they suck if you ask me. It's for sale, but not for 20 bucks. Ducks in my area are all wise to the mechanical tricks.
hankrt
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:16 pm

a problem i had with them is the same problem i was having with jerk stirings i was tryign to use them to finish birds and i was spooking more than i was finishing now i use it like i would use a goose flag. just use it to get there attention or when i start to loose them i will hit it and my success has gone up. a big problem with mechanical decoys is people rely on them to much without knowing how to use them to the greatest advantage. i did it and have done it. if it doesnt work fix it. never dismiss it its important to have a big play book so when the usuall isnt working u can fall back on something.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 am

I found that the jerk string not only looks more natural, but also performs better. I agree with not using either to finish birds, both can and will at times spook them, but I have at times needed the jerk string to finish a few that just wouldn't commit. The Mallard Machune in my opinion is to noisey, and the 4 decoys you need to hold the motor upright are to close together and appear un-natural. I hunt ducks on state land and those buggers have seen it all, and anything out of place or un-natural causes them to just keep flyin on by.
hankrt
hunter

Postby firebird » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:00 pm

It was probably the best tool I bought last year. I got mine at cabelas along with extra batteries and recharging equiptment. We set ours up in the shallow water and turn it off when we have the birds attention.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting