Bad Weather Hunting?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Bad Weather Hunting?

Postby bigstump56 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:24 pm

We've been having a rough week here in NC as far as the weather goes. It has finally cooled off into the 30s,from the 60s, but its been rainy messy and windy. It has been anywhere from 5-35 mph winds and from drizzle to pouring. I know blue sky days are normally the best but do any of you guys hunt in this rougher weather? Why or why not? Also any tips for rough weather hunting? Just trying to see if its worth my time. Thanks
bigstump56
hunter

Re: Bad Weather Hunting?

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm

So what you're saying is, you're finally getting some good duck hunting weather? :thumbsup:

I hate blue bird days, the nastier, the better and it keeps most hunters home. :wink:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby deadplumptrout » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Its just starting to get good, find a calmer spot out of the wind to hunt if you have a floating blind, if not play the wind when possible and try putting decoys in a little tighter then normal pattern, ducks tend to huddle up on windy days. No glare, and no guessing where they are coming in at and no waiting at the boat ramps... Good luck
deadplumptrout
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Thats normal where I hunt so get out and enjoy.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby bigstump56 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Ok sounds good. So any type of this weather going to keep them from flying? Really hard wind? Pouring rain?
bigstump56
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:33 pm

High winds the better. The nastier the better.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby garret schukis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:15 pm

i dont like blue bird days i love 25mph winds pouring rain the best
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I don't know what good weather is in ND. It's always 20mph wind, rain, sleet, and snow. Mud is common and thick. All I do know is you can't kill a duck or goose from the couch.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:37 pm

nobody likes to be miserable BUT the ducks fly in it ,,or in cold weather find a hole that isn't iced over and your in!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Bad Weather Hunting?

Postby hitnrun » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:09 pm

You know, I love hunting in a good wind...geese come right over on the deck. Ducks fly in place for what seems like an eternity trying to battle the headwinds...only feet over your head...

I will tell you what though, it can be some of the toughest shooting too. Unless the birds are right on top of you...cause once you shoot and they flair, they use that wind to go from the deck up to a 100+ feet in a second. Trying to shoot onto an elevator going 100mph! Man I burn ammo on windy days. But it's fun
hitnrun
hunter

Postby FLTXduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 am

Lots of good answers already. Agree with the high winds being a good thing for the most part. Find an area that is even a little protected and put your spread out there. The high wind seems to make the ducks commit better....my theory being that when they are fighting the winds, if they spot a few fakes on the water, they are much more likely to drop in and join the fun. 2 of my best days have been cold, very windy, some rain/snow. Go get at em'...
FLTXduck
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:52 am

Send that "nasty" weather this way. Too many blue-bird days for us here.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Depending upon the terrain one is hunting different weather can be better or worse. Down east most impoundment hunters will swear rain is the key to get the birds off of the lakes (Mattamuskeet or Phelps). Wind and temperature does come into play as the colder it is the more the birds have to feed but in general cold, windy and nasty weather is good for most duck hunting. Unless you are in timber where a high sky with light to medium wind is preferred.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:40 pm

I would much rather have a foggy, overcast 35 to 50 degree day than a 25 degree blue bird day with the sun shining and no wind.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 am

I woke up to go the morning and even though it was cold i could see every star in the sky and not even a breeze so i went back to bed. best days (unless your hunting timber) Is 20 to 25 minute winds a good steady sleet, snow mix and pretty foggy. A duck hunters bad weather is everyone else's ideal day!
drake mallards have green heads
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Cold, windy and clear sky days are by far the best for me.
Clear and calm is tough. It depends on the weather I had in recent days. If fresh birds were pushed down in the last couple days, then you could end up with a lot of "dumb" birds looking for food while they wait on the next weather front to continue the migration. If not, Then you could easily have a day that you see "high-flyers" and you get skunked.

Overcast usually isn't that great when the wind is calm, especially if you have snow or rain. The water is flat and the birds just stay hunkered down.
Overcast and windy can be good. Again, birds are looking for a safe place to get out of the weather or to feed.

The amount of wind is the key for me. If that water is moving, then the ducks tend not to sit for very long. It's hard for them to find a nice calm area to feed and rest. That means they are up in the air and looking..... hopefully they find my Benelli :thumbsup:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby barenn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:47 am

The harder it snows the better I have found, most of the best hunts I have been on were on days that you could hardly see your spread. Late season with snow, sleet, rain etc is my ticket.
barenn
hunter

Postby CunninJe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 am

Okay i know this is going against almost everything that MOST hunters say but.... one of my best shoots so far was a very warm day 75 degrees or so... clear blue skies and sunny with little to NO wind! I started hunting at 2:00 pm in the afternoon and i had my limit in 2 n a half hours by 430 pm! I was always taught that nasty weather days are the best for waterfowl hunting... cold... windy.. foggy.. raining or snowing etc. So far i have found that scouting is probably the most important! You can have amazing hunts on those bright sunny days but location is KEY! But then again... I have also witnessed amazing hunts on those nasty days. I think being in the right place at the right time is your best option... for instance whenever a push of new birds comes into your area, I suggest getting out there before most other people because they will be easier to hunt before they have a few days of dodging shells. Once ducks become "educated" it makes the hunt much more challenging!
CunninJe
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Don't know what kind of ducks your hunting but here in Michigan I don't even go out on bluebird days. I've had my best days in 25+ mph wind and sleet/snow/rain.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 pm

What thoughts on this "franken-Storm" ....Will it move ducks, or will they just snuggle up and stay put till its over.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Fatback wrote:What thoughts on this "franken-Storm" ....Will it move ducks, or will they just snuggle up and stay put till its over.

I think It's going to start the migration. Might be a little to nasty when it first hits but I'm going to be out thurs, fri, sat, sun, and mon. I think it will be good. Plus we need all the water we can get.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:51 pm

bigstump56 wrote:do any of you guys hunt in this rougher weather? Why or why not?. Thanks

Hahahahah .... :lol3: :lol3:

Seriously though some of my best hunts have come when no one in their right mind wants to be out. As far as worth your time it depends. What makes it worth your time, being in the outdoors enjoying life... Or slaughtering game.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:27 pm

I have good luck on the water and in the timber on sunny, windy, cold days. In the field for geese I love fog. Otherwise cloudy low skys and wind in the field.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 pm

My favorite conditions for duck hunting is bad weather. Light to mild rain, fog, heavy clouds, 20 mph wind thats the stuff.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting