Special Bands

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Special Bands

Postby peanut1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 pm

The craziest for me was two back to back!
1. Last duck of the evening and it was a double band hen mallard
2. First duck of the morning and a triple wood duck two bands and one toe band !!!
This was the craziest thing vie seen
peanut1
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm

That's awesome. I've never seen a toe band.
My speck transmitter along with my father's rank up there. My stainless leg bands are special along with my reward bands. I killed a Canada with a neck band and two leg bands once. High on the list would be my father's nose bands and the triple banded goose he killed.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Guess none of mine were special, as the only one I remember is the first speck o' the year killed openin' day last year. Banded 160 miles west of Deadhorse Alaska. Do remember several killed by others though.

Coolest I know of were the two double banded greenheads killed by cannon. Killed from different flocks, both with $100 reward bands on the same mornin'. Both banded in Saskatoon Sask., a year apart. That's a lucky mornin'.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 am

1. My first band shot on the last goose hunt I would get to go on with my dad before he passed away. Banded blue goose.
2. My 4th band, a Jack Miner banded mallard on the TX coast. "I Walk Amongst You" Lev. 26:12
3. My 7th band, a double banded goose. What made it special was my uncle and I only shot two geese that day. Mine was double banded his was a single band. They were banded a year apart over 10 years ago in Nunavut Canada by the same bander.
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 am

lukea.becker wrote:my first band was in 2008 and it was a canada goose with a neck collar and a leg band. we had a pair sneak in from behind us and i was the only one that could shoot and i dropped them both. imagine my surprise when i walked up to it and saw that bright orange neck collar! turns out it was banded in ontario in 1999 and was 10 years old.

If you dont mind me asking, you got that bird mounted in 2008? Not trying to be snobby, just looks like its had some rough days, that or your taxidermist has. Sweet neck collar though, i hope to knock one down some day :thumbsup:
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

What's become quite a few years back, my parties had a crazy (at least for our area) run of six neck banded specks in that season's first split, and when I mentioned that to a good friend I was taking on an afternoon play hunt, he told me he'd shot specks with leg bands, but never a neck band.

"Then, today's your day," I joked. "I'm taking you to number seven."

Wasn't long after that a pair of specks came in, and he dropped them both. I went to recover one, while he got the other, and when I turned around with mine, I saw my friend goose in hand, studying the ground for a bit before bending to pick something up. Was the last of the three pieces of a neck band so old and sun rotted that it broke on impact with the ground.

I felt like Babe Ruth having hit the storied home run after pointing to the stands.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:13 pm

My first banded brant, killed the same day my daughter was born. 1989
My son killed a speck in Canada, that had been banded by our neighbor in Alaska.
My son killed a banded and radio transmitter attached brant. When we went to the local Fed shed to turn it in, the guy there is the one who had banded it about 6 months prior in NW alaska.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

My father killed his limit in banded mallards during the points system years. He and I killed a pair of banded mallards, a drake and a hen banded several years apart.

Great stories guys, keep them coming.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby vanover » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 am

2 last year; a drake mallard banded 4 months before the season and a hen ross banded in Canada in 2005. The day i got the ross my buddy took a drake out of the same flock that was also banded. Same day same place.
vanover
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 am

ByersFarm wrote:My father killed his limit in banded mallards during the points system years. He and I killed a pair of banded mallards, a drake and a hen banded several years apart.

Great stories guys, keep them coming.

Points system years? What's that?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 am

In the 70s thru the mid 80s ducks had a point value, for example Mallard drakes were 20pts, hen mallards were 100pts, your daily point total was 100 points. So, you could shoot 5 mallard drakes which would total 100pts, or 4 mallard drakes and claim you shoot a hen as your last bird. A lot of birds went to waste back then when people shoot 100pt birds first thing in the morning :mad:
Love your avatar :thumbsup:
Great thread keep the stories coming!!!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
Token wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:Either a largemouth bass or a snapping turtle.

Actually I talked to the bander and he said she was club footed when he put the band on her...

That's cool that it can still survive with one foot.

Last year field hunting we shot a canada goose that had 1 club foot, and the other leg was just goofy, faced the wrong way. Wish i had a picture. Bet the thing had a hard time landing! We probably did him a favor!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby Tyler H » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

after 11 years of hunting hard and consistently checking every bird ive killed for legs bands me and my buddy were setup in a field a mile from my house 5 mins before shootin time was over had flock of 20 come out of my pond whats odds that :lol3: come over i worked the birds around the pitched right in first bird to hit the ground for me this year was banded the band so old cant read the numbers but a few and is paper thin whats the odds being last day of early goose and only bird i hit out the whole flock bout time i accomplished my goose hunting dream still cant stop thinking about more
Tyler H
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Tyler H wrote:...the band so old cant read the numbers but a few...

Talk to the feds, they've a process that allows them to read the missing numbers by the hardness of the metal under their stamp, and they'll return the band to you.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

I killed my first banded duck in 2009 while hunting with my dad and my brother. We were jumping a pond on the way home after feeding cows. We climbed over the damn and the ducks were on the far side of the pond. They flew up and came twards us and we starded shooting, my first shot I hit him and my brothers gun jammed. The duck was still alive and run up under a locust tree. I cut myself all to pieces trying to get him out. During this proccess I had noticed the band and was shaking with excitement. He is now mounted on my wall.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby JON » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Landing Cacklers in the decoys one day...saw a double banded bird in taller grass (tough to pick out). Marked him and didn't take my eyes off the bird as he walked around. Limit was four and didn't want to wreck the flock and risk killing too many. After a few minutes, he finally separated from the mass and a shot would result in minimal casualties. I touched off. He went down as did three of his buddies. Waked over to pick him up my bands....got him. Picked up goose number two...another double. Goose three was blank but as I picked up goose 4...I couldn't believe it. A single leg band. 5 bands in 4 birds...one trigger pull. Someone was looking down on me that day.
JON
hunter

Postby Tyler H » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:57 am

thanks rick ill have to try that out just want know how long ago they banded him or her either its real old and that birds been around long time or just had one miserable life hell maybe even both
Tyler H
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 am

Shot limit of teal then went back to boat launch. Decided to look for bands and bam right their on had a band on it. Pretty cool the only problem is once you get one u want more.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Special Bands

Postby TXWingStinger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Personally I've only gotten one band that came from a fulvous tree duck in 06

But one day hunting with a buddy we hadn't fired a shot all day and it was getting close to noon and were just about to pack up when we hear a flock of snows heading our way. They come over not looking to decoy but in range so we raise up and shoot. I drop two birds to our right and he drops one to our left. We go pick them up and his is banded. Turns out it was banded at a bird sanctuary that borders up to the property we were on about 45 minutes before he killed it.
TXWingStinger
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:02 pm

My only band was on a dove. Shot it and didn't even notice the band on it until i got home.

muskrat24
hunter

Postby Never Fails.. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I was able to take a mallard and a goose the same day. As a bonus these birds were featured in WILDFOWL magazing this last summer in the band tales section under " A swing and a miss.. and a miss."
12-9-2010003.jpg
12-9-2010004.jpg
12-9-2010005.jpg
12-9-2010005.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
honey...I'm going to be late!
Never Fails..
hunter

Postby Cdphotos82 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm

I've never shot a banded bird "YET". But i sure enjoyed reading everybody's stories about their favorite/first/most memorable band stories.. Keep up the awesome work guys!!
Cdphotos82
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:29 am

I got a banded goose last weekend, It was banded about 10 miles from where I hunt, that one make number 4 for geese, and I shot a mallard 5 years ago banded in Wis. and a Woody 4 years ago, dont remember where that one was banded, will have to look when I get home. so , so far I have 6 bands total, and they are are speical :wink:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 pm

My only band in almost 30 years of hunting I got on NewYears Day 2011. Drake mallard.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Got alot of good memorys of some great hunts but no bands. This is my 13th season waterfowl hunting and still waiting on that first band.
BenellisbeII
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting