Special Bands

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Special Bands

Postby 707tothe907 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Here's a good band story.

Last year my brother and dad were in a deep water ditch hunting the edge of a gigantic goose grind. We do this all the time with spectacular results. As the birds accidentally circle a little too far from the thousands of geese in the grind, we'll take 1 or maybe 2 shots and slowly take our limits of geese. Anyways, there was a guy on the property next to them doing them same thing. My little brother ended up dropping a snow, and it landed very close to the other guy. The other guy picked it up, and held onto it for my brother and dad until they could make their way to him to collect the bird. Once they get there the guy is really friendly, and hands them over the bird. As my brother and dad are getting back to their spot they notice the guy leaving... They also notice once they got their limit that the bird was missing a leg. My dad thought it was odd, but maybe just a predator got it - he didn't give it more then 2 seconds of thought. As they're packing up back at the truck, they see a car come flying down the dirt road and slam its brakes next to them. It's the hunter from earlier. "My f**king wife is making me give this back to you..." and throws a banded snow goose leg into the bushes behind my dad and brother as he speeds off. It took my brother at least 20 minutes digging through the thules and bushes to finally find it, but once he did he was one very happy kid. Shame that there's hunters that would steal a band like that - but at least his wife gives me some hope for humanity.
707tothe907
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

707tothe907 wrote:Here's a good band story.

Last year my brother and dad were in a deep water ditch hunting the edge of a gigantic goose grind. We do this all the time with spectacular results. As the birds accidentally circle a little too far from the thousands of geese in the grind, we'll take 1 or maybe 2 shots and slowly take our limits of geese. Anyways, there was a guy on the property next to them doing them same thing. My little brother ended up dropping a snow, and it landed very close to the other guy. The other guy picked it up, and held onto it for my brother and dad until they could make their way to him to collect the bird. Once they get there the guy is really friendly, and hands them over the bird. As my brother and dad are getting back to their spot they notice the guy leaving... They also notice once they got their limit that the bird was missing a leg. My dad thought it was odd, but maybe just a predator got it - he didn't give it more then 2 seconds of thought. As they're packing up back at the truck, they see a car come flying down the dirt road and slam its brakes next to them. It's the hunter from earlier. "My f**king wife is making me give this back to you..." and throws a banded snow goose leg into the bushes behind my dad and brother as he speeds off. It took my brother at least 20 minutes digging through the thules and bushes to finally find it, but once he did he was one very happy kid. Shame that there's hunters that would steal a band like that - but at least his wife gives me some hope for humanity.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol: now that's funny
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 pm

I shot 24 banded, flighted mallards in less than an hour. :yes:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:39 pm

None of the band's I've killed really have any crazy story, but shot one woody behind my house in N. Florida that was from Manitoba. Have killed one dove band which was the first I had ever seen, or even heard of at the time, and my dad shot a mallard in Canada this year. He got an email two days ago asking to confirm numbers because it shows 'strange results' or something to that affect. Turns out it was 14 years old. By far the oldest of the birds the two of us have killed.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby flight canceler » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 pm

has anyone ever heard of the budwieser band? Heard many of game wardens talk bout it. me and my buddies talk about it every year, first i heard of it was 2009 opening day of first split there was 3 of us hunting and had our woodie limit in bout 5 min, we were just standing in the middle of our pot hole and shooting right at shoot time barely could see so once we had the first 9 ducks we threw them in the boat and got in the blind to finish up the limit finished our limit at 730ish when we started picking up i was moving ducks to the front of the boat and noticed something real cold on ones leg and looked down seeing the band, being first band any of us would ever have so of course we all argued who shot it and finally just laughed it off and called it a group band lol.
we came back out and stopped at the store that everyone stops at to and from the lake and one of the local wardens was there and heard us talking bout the band he came over to see and told us about the (BUDWEISER BAND). Supposedly there is a duck that has yet to be killed 3 years later, its a double banded bird (he would not tell what species) that has 2 bands one regular and one red band that has the budweiser label and info, the band is worth $100,000. people round home talk of it every year but i see noone hear has mentioned it. Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of it
flight canceler
hunter

Special Bands

Postby StackUmHigh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Well, I doubt anyone has ever seen this before, i was with my buddy when he shot this last year in Elsberry, Mo. Freakin crazy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354253514.462141.jpg
StackUmHigh
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 am

StackUmHigh wrote:Well, I doubt anyone has ever seen this before, i was with my buddy when he shot this last year in Elsberry, Mo. Freakin crazy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354253514.462141.jpg

That's a cool one. I always wonder if the one legged ducks i've shot just swim in circle? I killed a bluebill with one foot. Gotta be tough being a one footed diver
duckman27
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:47 pm

The first one I ever killed was a wood duck hen when I was 7, I was on one end of the bayou and my dad was on the other end about a mile apart. I got scared and pulled the band off and threw it in the water. I told my dad what happened and he explained the banding thing to me. I've regretted it and laughed at it ever since.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:00 pm

my first band was not on a duck or a goose it was on a dove that i shot about 4 foot above a power line it was about to light on i had never heard of any one else killin a banded dove an i didnt even know that they banded em lol i reckon i just got lucky
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am

My first banded bird was this year and it also had a web staple, funny thing was I killed the bird 5 miles from where it was banded 7 months after it was banded.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Special Bands

Postby StackUmHigh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Just heard of the same buddy who shot the one footed banded mallard drake. Last week he shot a northern pintail, banded in fairbanks, AK! 3,500 miles from Elsberry, mo where it was shot. Hatched in August 2012, farthest I've ever heard of.
StackUmHigh
hunter

Postby brad0861 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm

First band I remembered not to throw away after I cleaned the bird. A Dutch double sent the hen and her boyfriend skidding across the ice. My buddies dog made her first retrieve with the banded hen.
Attachments
DSCN4189.JPG
brad0861
hunter

Special Bands

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

My first I will always remember was a drake woodie killed 4 years ago. My favorite was killed yesterday. A drake redhead banded in western saskatchewan 4 months ago and killed in NC.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 pm

I shot my first band this year(as its my first year of hitting duck hunting hard)but, the memory of it is sure to last a lifetime. I got up at about 5:30 and called my buddy and to my shock he answered saying whats going on its 5:30 in the morning! I said get up they're gonna be flying today and I wanna get at em before school now get dressed as im on my way to get ya! Thankfully my private land is only a 15 min drive from my house and a 5 min drive from his. We set up about 2 doz dekes and begin to wait for shooting time finally the minute strikes and we already have over 150 ducks over our heads I get a group of about 15 to drop into the dekes feet down just a hovering we empty our guns 6 shots and 6 dead ducks I told him hey if theres a band its rock paper scissors he agreed and I walk out to pick them up and the first drakes wearing some bling! We both claim it of course kidding around and I end up winning rock paper scissors all fun aside I still had to get to school! I had just enough time to get home change shower brush teeth and bolt! Wish i coulda stuck around and got our true limit which wouldnt have been hard because it was a insane flight day and the ducks were just droppin in! :grooving: Turned out being banded in Manitoba in 09 as an adult and was shot in Moline, Illinois only halfway done with his migration route!
Attachments
IMG_2256.jpg
IMG_2256.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 am

Awesome hearing all the band stories

I am 18 and have been hunting since I was 12, prior to this year I was just a weekend warrior. This fall I waited to start community college just so I could get my first good year of hunting in. I had one goal in mind, to get my first band. It was about 2 weeks into our regular season and my uncle and I are hunting on this pond that was holding about 500 geese. We had already killed about 20 geese off the pond so far and I couldn't believe we hadn't got a band yet. We had a group of seven come drifting right in to the dekes about an hour after shooting light. My uncle hits one and I shoot one that glides way over to the other side of the pond. I get in my kayak and am off to the races. His was crippled so I killed that so the dog could get it and then went over to grab mine and to my excitement, it had a band on the leg! I don't remember ever being that excited in a hunting situation. It was banded 3 years prior about 30 miles to the south of where we were hunting.
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 am

My first and only band story
I was in Kansas 2 weeks ago on a snow goose hunt. We had hunted all day, and had killed 25 or so birds. With about 30 minutes of shootin light left 2 snows, a blue and a normal snow, came flying in from behind and landed way on the other side of our spread behind us. Keep in mind we are hunting over huge spreads. This time it was my turn to put the stalk on them. Crawling through the decoys and corn stubble, only moving when there heads are down feeding, I finnaly made it to the edge of the decoy spread. Well the 2 geese were still about 50 yards out, and I had ran out of decoys to hind behind. Meanwhile this was all happening, there was a single speck that had Been hanging out in our spread for a good 2 hours. I was about 10 yards from him belly crawling and he was oblivious of my presence. I was at the edge of our spread, and when they both put there heads down to feed, I jumped up and ran at them (we call it kamikaze). I got to within 20 yards before they even saw me and jumped up and started flying. 2 shots, both birds down and the snow was banded! I was so excited. She was banded in 2010 but hatched in 2009 or earlier In Nunavut Canada. A long ways away.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Out of the ten or so we picked up this year these stood out.
ImageImageImage

And this one from the very north side of AK. Lake Teshekpuk.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Out of the ten or so we picked up this year these stood out.
ImageImageImage

So jealous of them all. But that double banded diver(not sure if its a ringer or a bluebill) and collared speck would be a trophy of a life time for me.
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

sprigs4days wrote:
ImageImageImage

So jealous of them all. But that double banded diver(not sure if its a ringer or a bluebill) and collared speck would be a trophy of a life time for me.

The scaup was pretty neat, especially since one of the bands was stainless steel. The distance that the speck travelled was amazing. 3,331 miles straight line. It's the furthest band I've ever killed.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ImageImageImage

The scaup was pretty neat, especially since one of the bands was stainless steel. The distance that the speck travelled was amazing. 3,331 miles straight line. It's the furthest band I've ever killed.

Gotdamn! That was a well traveled speck. Cool stuff Byers. Thanks for sharing man.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

sprigs4days wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ImageImageImage

Gotdamn! That was a well traveled speck. Cool stuff Byers. Thanks for sharing man.

A hunting partner of mine killed one a month apart from mine. His was banded a day later than mine by the same guy. They were banded 80 miles apart and died 3,300 miles away in adjoining fields.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ImageImageImage

A hunting partner of mine killed one a month apart from mine. His was banded a day later than mine by the same guy. They were banded 80 miles apart and died 3,300 miles away in adjoining fields.

Fate...it can be a bitch for some. Swear if I lived about 1,800 miles closer you'd be the guide I'd hunt with every chance I got.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm

sprigs4days wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
ImageImageImage

Fate...it can be a bitch for some. Swear if I lived about 1,800 miles closer you'd be the guide I'd hunt with every chance I got.

Thanks man. Very kind words, but all I've proven is that we had our share of luck this year. Those two specks earned themselves a spot on the wall for their sacrifice.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Hbnel5on » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am

My little bro is tied for the youngest person to kill a jack miner band. Do a little research on them. RARE!! Tied at 9 years old
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Stack_em_up » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:02 am

My band story is a memorable one. It was my girlfriends first duck hunt and it was shortly after we started dating. We were hunting on a small river, she had gotten four ducks in two shots so far and I had shot a few myself. It started to slow down when I saw a greenhead comming up the river at the last second. So I quickly dropped him before he wa out of range. I decided to go pick him up before I lost sight of where he landed. After a few minutes of searching I walked up to him and looked down and couldn't believe it, his right leg wa sticking out from underneath him with a band on it! I was so pumped so I reached down and picked him up and flipped him over and couldn't believer my eyes, he had a band on his left foot too! I was pretty awesome to shoot a double banded mallard for my first green head on my girlfriends first hunt ever'! It was a moment ill never forget!!
Stack_em_up
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting