New to decoying ducks.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

New to decoying ducks.

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:29 pm

I've been duck hunting on rivers and streams now jump shooting and pass shooting ducks. I want to start decoying them in. I will be hunting rivers, streams, and lakes. How would I set up my spreads, how many decoys should I have, and what kind of dekes should I have?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:58 pm

Generally 2-3 doz suffices. You can add Mallards, Blacks, Widgeon, Teal, Pintails, and other species relative to your area. You can also add coots and or goose decoys for confidence decoys but having the goose decoys adds to bagging the odd honker as well. A spread of 3-9 will generally work fine.
You can also add some Ringbills, Bluebills, and also a few (1 1/2 doz ) GoldenEyes as the season progresses.
Most of this comes with experience as to, how many of each you set, the size of the body of water, the time of season, and how many birds are in your area.
Mind you......this is only a tip of the iceberg so to speak.
Give me some more info and I'll see if I can help you out in the future.

Good luck,
Rob.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 pm

:withstupid:

What kind of ducks do you see? Usually you can get by with just Mallard decoys.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 pm

In the fall the majority of what I see it mallards and woodies. We do real well decoying in woodies on a stream on my friends property but I want to get into decoying in Mallards and such. The lakes I've been hunting I've seen Mallards mostly, some buffs, some black duck, a variety of other divers. I'm really into goose hunting and I've learned something new everytime I went out and I'm sure in the same with decoying ducks. I'll mainly be decoying ducks on big lakes 20-25 miles long and big rivers. We'll probably just continue to jump shoot and pass by shoot the woodies and mallards on the small streams we have permission to hunt.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 pm

For huge water like that.......I would probably bump that up another 2-3 doz, or if your on the "X" stay with what I fore mentioned. Now if your running traffic, yes more is better, and at times bigger decoys are better. A few magnums and super mags never hurt, and great visibility.
A nice loud calls is also a great bonus, especially on moderate to windy days.
Things can stay the same or be most different when hunting from a boat as apposed to hunting from shore.
Hopefully you have a buddy or two that can help out with the calling. I'm not sure if you know, but it's also great to have a softer call on your lanyard as they start getting closer.....and for the laydown work.

Good luck.
Rob.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Just remember to set up your spread in a sheltered cove or bend in the bank of river or lake. This is to keep your dekes out of the current or waves of the open water
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting