Homemade mallard machine!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Homemade mallard machine!

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

So here is the deal. I hunted with a mallard machine and absolutely loved it. So i decided to make me one! with the exceptions of the trolling motor i tore up making it that i had in storage with two others so i didn't care i have 15 dollars in it and it works amazing! very simple and quick to make also. We used a Christmas tree stand, like they use for live trees, as something to hold the motor as you can see in the pic. i used the foot controller part of the motor as the switch so i can throw it on the ground and use my foot to work it. we bought threaded rod to put into the tree stand. simply spliced the wires and hooked an extension cord to lengthen our chord. works awesome and looks good to me! let me know what you think and pm me if you want more details on how to make one yourself!
Attachments
ds.jpg
ds.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
fas.jpg
fas.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
dddd.jpg
dddd.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
dd.jpg
dd.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
drake mallards have green heads
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Re: Homemade mallard machine!

Postby Quackertack » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 pm

PM Sent
Quackertack
hunter

Postby cam liden » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 pm

How well does it keep water open when it freezes? Looks like a small ice eater
cam liden
hunter

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Well i live in middle tennessee so we never really have freeze up but the real ones work well and this one is actually no different so i imagine it'd do great
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Does it actually pull in birds? :huh:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:Does it actually pull in birds? :huh:

We shot 5 between 2 people today and one group was literally gonna land in the middle of it, of course we didnt let them :grooving:
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Just curious. Looks good, but I've never seen or used one in person. To me it just seems like a huge jet of water and unnatural...but would be killer for keeping a hole from freezing! But hey, whatever gives you the edge to kill a few more birds more power to ya :thumbsup: Must have some engineerin' hands eh?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:Just curious. Looks good, but I've never seen or used one in person. To me it just seems like a huge jet of water and unnatural...but would be killer for keeping a hole from freezing! But hey, whatever gives you the edge to kill a few more birds more power to ya :thumbsup: Must have some engineerin' hands eh?

Lol they are expensive and i had an extra trolling motor lying around, i still have two more actually lol, and i was bored so i just made it. But its in the 60s everyday here right now. can't kill ducks when there aren't any. aint worth my trouble and waking up early for 1 or 2 ducks in a morning. i just shot crows this morning.shot the piss out of those lol.
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 pm

downhomeduckhunter wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:Does it actually pull in birds? :huh:

We shot 5 between 2 people today and one group was literally gonna land in the middle of it, of course we didnt let them :grooving:

I made mine from PVC and an old trolling motor. I cut the trolling motor shaft off and it fit perfectly into 2" PVC fitting. Mine is neat because it is slightly "off center" so it swims in circles if the motor is run in reverse. 5.00 two way toggle switch from Home Depot is my switch.

Like you said I have hunted over mallard machines and more often than not the ducks try to land on the thing.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby trouble » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:21 pm

how long did you make the threaded rods
trouble
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting