Building a new blind

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Building a new blind

Postby lindschesapeake » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:26 am

I've been hunting this one spot for several years now using my Aquapod. However it is really tuff hunting this spot out of the boat since the water is too depp to wade and thus me and the dog sit in the boat together. I may break down and build a blind. The blind will have to be built in place and I've gone through two deigns; a floating blind that is tied/anchored and a standing blind with posts driven down into the mud. I've also come across a commerical blind called "Duck Dock" that could work out.

For now I'm thinking of doing a floating blind using 4-2'X4'X1ft polystyrene floats. The blind would be about 5'X10' which should fit three hunters and a dog. My questions are: what needs to be done to stabilize a floating blind? Is a 5'X10' not practical in regard to sticking out like a sore thumb? Does anybody have experience with the duck dock?
Thanks Lindsey
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:02 am

i actually just made one. i made it like a dock, and used 6 barrels to float it. mine is 15X6 feet though. it is pretty stable and can be towed easily too. i put bucket seats from junkyard cars on it also. you may want to go bigger for 3 people, depending how you sit on it. mine is pretty roomy but a 10 footer might be to small.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:14 am

VT

Thanks for your input. The place where I'll be putting this blind will have to be built in place and thus the reason for a small blind. Getting to and from the blind will be in my Aquapod and when I build the blind I'll use my canoe with help from somebody elsae. 5X10 is about is big as I would go given how tight this are is.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon May 15, 2006 5:29 am

If you live on the water or have a place to store it on the water I would make a portable blind. A floatable dock. Put spud poles on it and push them down into the mud or soil and that will stabilize it.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting