memorable birds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

memorable birds

Postby wooduck99 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 pm

anyone got any pics of memorable birds they mounted,and the story with them. i would really like to hear them.
wooduck99
hunter

Re: memorable birds

Postby pweisbrod » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 am

Here's a doozie for ya!

This was my first year of marriage, and my first really committed duck season while I was with my wife.

I hunt alone about 95% of the time, so one Wednesday morning in mid November I roll out of bed, get all my crap on, and load the gear into my rickety jeep. I get to the landing about 30 minutes before shooting time, get the boat in the water and park the truck.

Walked down to the boat, get my jacket on, and start to fire up the big boy (Mercury 3.9)....

Engine won't start.

So I bust out the big guns (really crappy dimestore oars that are friggin WARPED.) and row to the nearest grass point. about 350 yards from the landing. I throw out 6 bluebill repaints in a line, 4 or 5 woodies in closer to the reeds on one side, and mallards on both sides, along with a few confidence geese, just in case a few fly over. I then row into shallower water, push the boat into the thicker weeds away from me, and walk over to shooting distance from my decoys, standing pretty close to the end of the point in about belly-button-deep-water.

It's about five minutes to shooting now, and I start to load my gun up. I hear "PING... splash" At this point I freak out and start inspecting my gun, thinking a piece had fallen off! It seemed fine, which left me confused. I loaded all three shells, and then checked the time on my cell phone. I then noticed something.

It. Was. My. RING. I hadn't even had the thing for six months yet!

So I get really frustrated and start trying to look for it for a few minutes, and realize I will never find it without a metal detector in the mud. That was really disappointing! I called the wife and left her a message telling her to "try not to kill me, but..." :help:

Shooting time rolls around, and I hear a little whistling of wings, I look up, and a pair of ducks circles three times, and I start plugging away, and on the third shot, a loooong shot, I managed to get this first drake Gadwall. They're pretty uncommon in the area I hunt, and this one was nice and mature. Talk about a day saver! He was all I shot, so I loaded up and rowed to the landing, threw it all together and headed home.

And surprisingly, lived to tell the tale! :) (my father and I are going this summer with an underwater metal detector to find that sucker!)

Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

memorable birds

Postby Quackkillz » Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 am

That's a nice gadwall or grey duck as we call them here in S E Louisiana, they make up 95% of my bags down here. I wish I had a pic of my most memorable bird but I was only 10 on my first duck hunt with my dad. Shooting my lil 410 single shot crack barrel, even though they don't make steel shot, I guess it wasn't as strict back then. My dad told me a few times "if a pair come in you shoot the one on the right and I'll shoot the one on the left". The hunt started a little slow but after the sun came up the first pair came in and dad said "get ready, get ready, shoot!". Well when I picked up the gun I noticed the big green head on the left cause the sun hit them right as they were coming in, so that's the one I shot and it folded right as my dad was about to shoot cause he thought I was still going for the one on right. Well he turned quick and shot the female, he said " boy I told you to shoot the one on the right" and I said "I know daddy but I could see the green head and that's the one I wanted", he told me I made a good shot and I still got an attaboy, and he told me that I made a good I D on the birds. Then when we picked them up the male was double banded. I remember it like it was yesterday even though it's going on 25 years.
Quackkillz
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:55 am

Probally my triple on Canada Geese. And no, not triple as in 3 birds 3 shots. 3 birds.... 1 shot.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

memorable birds

Postby SETXhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339556385.355032.jpg
Killing Ducks, catching fish in the summer time! Yea its in my bloodline!
SETXhunter
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 pm

SETXhunter wrote:

Speck X blue
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 pm

ARduckboy24 wrote:
SETXhunter wrote:

Speck X blue

What makes you think that? I see nothing to indicate anything but a black-bellied speck: what the old Cajuns used to call a "Sgt. Major" and some of the young ones have promoted to "General". Many think them old males, but a buddy with permits to keep them says it's just genetic, rather than indicative of sex or age.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

A memorable bird...a wood duck shot on the water in the timber...what's better :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
ARduckboy24 wrote:
SETXhunter wrote:

Speck X blue

What makes you think that? I see nothing to indicate anything but a black-bellied speck: what the old Cajuns used to call a "Sgt. Major" and some of the young ones have promoted to "General". Many think them old males, but a buddy with permits to keep them says it's just genetic, rather than indicative of sex or age.

The head is what made me think but on closer inspection of the bill i agree it's pure speck just genetics
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby darb79 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Back in high school I was lucky enough to have a buddy with wheels and a dog. On one trip we were walking the river at a local duck hunting hotspot doing some jump shooting when his dog (who did this quite often) dove into the brush at the rivers edge and came back with a hen mallard, live. We took the bird and checked her over and couldent find anything wrong with her, no broke wings, legs, nothing. I was wearing my front loader vest so I stuck her in so I could take her back to make friends with my domestic mallards I had at the time. That stupid thing stayed in my vest enjoying the ride and quacking occasionally. As we came up to a blind bend in the river it exploded with greenheads. My buddy pulled and dumped his birds, I dropped 2 with one round left in my mossberg. During this time that hen was going crazy quacking! When I was done shooting and the dog was in the water the hen was looking up at me and back at the water at the dead ducks, then she shimmied herself out of my vest and was flying straight out over the water(I was shocked that she was flying)! I looked at my buddy and pointed at the hen making her escape when he yelled "SHOOT IT"! Well that hen went right back in the vest for the second time.
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Put a number 1 ressie at a prime refuge in the peak of the migration to use last year for our beat hunt ever. 18 duck 15 specks and 4 snows. :grooving:
Attachments
IMAG0211.jpg
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

darb79 wrote:Back in high school I was lucky enough to have a buddy with wheels and a dog. On one trip we were walking the river at a local duck hunting hotspot doing some jump shooting when his dog (who did this quite often) dove into the brush at the rivers edge and came back with a hen mallard, live. We took the bird and checked her over and couldent find anything wrong with her, no broke wings, legs, nothing. I was wearing my front loader vest so I stuck her in so I could take her back to make friends with my domestic mallards I had at the time. That stupid thing stayed in my vest enjoying the ride and quacking occasionally. As we came up to a blind bend in the river it exploded with greenheads. My buddy pulled and dumped his birds, I dropped 2 with one round left in my mossberg. During this time that hen was going crazy quacking! When I was done shooting and the dog was in the water the hen was looking up at me and back at the water at the dead ducks, then she shimmied herself out of my vest and was flying straight out over the water(I was shocked that she was flying)! I looked at my buddy and pointed at the hen making her escape when he yelled "SHOOT IT"! Well that hen went right back in the vest for the second time.

Some folks will tell you it's bad luck to kill a bird that the dog caught. I'd probably smother it and mount the thing
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:18 am

Last edited by finsnfeathershunter on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:32 pm

My most memorable birds was 2 years ago when I pulled off a triple on 3 woodie drakes
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:06 pm

The most memorable shot was made by my brother. Two ducks with one shot...but they were going different directions. The farthest bird was probably twenty yards from the closest bird. I would like to claim he planned it that way, but he never even saw the far bird. It took me a while to convince him I had not killed it.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby grahmcracker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:24 am

2011-09-21 18.05.35-1-1.jpg
2011-09-21 18.05.35-1-1.jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
I had been after a pintail for years when I killed this. Last day of season in '11 I was invited to hunt a private field. Being from AR I have to make the claypools reference, this field looked just like the picture of claypools, ducks everywhere. When I saw all the pintails I knew I was gonna hold out for one. When a cloud of probably 50 or more ducks passed by the pit we called to cut em everyone fired at random ducks while I searched for the pintails finally I saw one fired twice and set my gun down and let everyone know the pintail laying just over the rice levee was mine finshed out my limit with 1 teal and 4 green heads and headed to the taxidermist. Ill never forget that hunt. This is my first time posting a pic off my phone I hope I did it right and it shows up.
grahmcracker
hunter

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I took my cousin and my brother ( not pictured ) on their first goose hunt and they both limited out in about 45 minutes. I never even pulled the trigger till that little guy came across the spread and finished up our day. Just watching them react to the birds coming in was pretty cool and alot of fun.
Attachments
TS.jpg
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby webfettish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Teddy Sherwood wrote:I took my cousin and my brother ( not pictured ) on their first goose hunt and they both limited out in about 45 minutes. I never even pulled the trigger till that little guy came across the spread and finished up our day. Just watching them react to the birds coming in was pretty cool and alot of fun.

cool! :thumbsup:

always fun to see new people fall in love with the sport.
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby QuackAddict95 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 pm

My most memorable hunt was the last day of the 2012 season in nc. Me and a couple of my friends went to goose creek with about 8 dozen puddle duck decoys. We spread them out and waited. Around 11 a pair of teal come in and my friend shot the drake. The ducks just werent flying so we waited for a little while then around 12-12:30 i got hungy so i was walking back to the boat which was about 150 yards away. About half way there a hear a broaken up peep peep and i just knew Pintail. I looked and he was flying atleast 50 yards high. I pulled my gun up and put a good 8 foot lead on him and pulled the trigger. He folded and smacked the water hard. I walked over there and picked up my first pintail. What made it even better was the double sprig
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:49 pm

That first pintail is a big deal for anyone, but you'll find that they all have twin sprigs.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am

Rick Hall wrote:That first pintail is a big deal for anyone, but you'll find that they all have twin sprigs.

Not all pintails are double sprigged only the mature drakes.
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europ ... 194472.htm
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:42 pm

QuackAddict95 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:That first pintail is a big deal for anyone, but you'll find that they all have twin sprigs.

Not all pintails are double sprigged only the mature drakes.
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europ ... 194472.htm

That's news to me. They're pretty common here:

and I can't recall enough of a sprig to look at not actually being a pair of feathers.

That you can't see that's the case in either of our photos doesn't mean it's not so. But I am sorry if I've dampened your excitement by pointing it out. Having moved here from an area where any pintail was a trophy, I know what a thrill finally getting one can be.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby webfettish » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:11 pm

where i hunt in wisconsin i have yet to shoot a sprig, regardless of whether or not they are rare depends obviously where you are, but either way they are gorgeous birds, hope i get a chance at one some day :banana:
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 pm

We shot a lot of pintails when I was growing up in Kansas and nearly all of them were loaded with rice breast. They weren't rare and so they weren't as prized, especially considering they were always full of parasites. I only shot one wigeon in Kansas and then a few in Alaska, but after moving to idaho it was like heaven. What was a very special duck in Kansas was the number one bird in our take here. We could be selective with the drakes most of the time and we were always looking for something special. We took this american euro cross on a diver hunt, of course wigeons are fairly common around divers. The storm wigeon came on an extremely cold day when the river had frozen completely over except for a few fast moving ripples. We only decoyed a few birds that day, they just didn't want to get up. We finally got a few birds to cooperate and I had no idea the wigeon was white headed till I picked him up.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:59 pm

my first green wing teal last season was banded! shot it one handed with my 870 with my waders half way down about to piss!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting