memorable birds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: memorable birds

Postby Fowlobsession » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:18 pm

my first bufflehead killed in east arkansas. got it mounted and it won 3rd at some competition.
Attachments
bufflehead mount.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
"Machine gun willy"

"loco duck club"

"fowl play duck club"

"Hunt until hell freezes over, and when it does, hunt on the ice."
Fowlobsession
hunter

Postby duck jerky » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

One of mine didn't envolve me shooting. It was the youth hunt 2 years ago and my twin boys getting their first geese.

duck jerky
hunter

Postby DuckHuner88 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Mine would have to be my Eurasion Wigeon. shot it at a nice public spot "honey hole". Have it hanging on my wall. I think its the coolest bird I will EVER shoot.

165198_183912174965993_8020595_n.jpg
165198_183912174965993_8020595_n.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
"If you cant beat 'em, hurt 'em."
DuckHuner88
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:59 pm

My most memorable bird would definitely have to be the Goldeneye that I shot on our last hunt in 2012.All season long there were so many fly bys or times when they would scoot the decoys and land 60 or 70 yards away.It had been such a torment to me to hear their wings and watch them fly by just out of range but on that last hunt I finally got my chance.I heard his wings and turned around and to my surprise he was in range so with one shot, he came home with me.
I unfortunatly didnt have a camera to take a picture of it and i still dont yet,but I will take a picture when i get him mounted.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby winnihunter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 am

10-363DF231-509198-960.jpg
10-363DF231-509198-960.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

not sure if you can see this but it was my 2nd year into duck hunting and i was by my self when this bad boy came in with a hen.
I did get it mounted and will probably never get another double band mallard again that is why duck hunting is so great.
winnihunter
Newb

Part 1 (Jan 2011)

Postby JON » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I am still glowing from a final duck hunting weekend of pure unparalleled satisfaction...

I have no idea how or why it happened, but in all honesty, I thought it never would...

Last season (Nov '10), I discovered a white widgeon using a familiar coastal bay in Oregon. I know the bay well, how to hunt it, and the patterns of the birds in almost every possible condition. This particular bird spent most of it's time on tidal flats (in very large groups of it's kind)...always remaining out of the range of even the best of skybusters. Although I located it three different times that year in the spotting scope, and managed to snap a picture or two of the "ghost widgeon", I truly believed that harvesting it would be nearly impossible.

The last time I saw this bird was in November of 2010, and I was glad to have taken these pictures of it as a great memory, even if they were grainy and blurry, and taken from too far away.

Fast forward to this year...Sat. to be specific. Dad and I were in layout blinds, with a field spread of fullbodies, hunting a puddle of receding water (a day later than we should have been). The widgeon wanted in (big flocks of them in fact), but I could tell that with the water dropping as quickly as it was, we had better make our shots count. It wouldn't last long, and they would be headed back to the bay as quickly as they came.

After the opening morning flurry, and a few nice drakes already on the ground, a group of one hundred plus widgeon circled a few times before banking in on the dekes. One in particular stuck out. As I raised my gun for a right to left 35 yard shot at a very large group of fast moving birds, the excitement inside of me paralleled any that I have ever experienced in my almost 20 year waterfowling career.

Now I have have had some great shoots in my life, scouted for and successfully killed some very neat birds; both geese and ducks, but this moment was once in a lifetime. I knew it as it was happening, and can still play back the moment in slow motion of my mind.

The trusty 870 barked once and I saw my prize heading for the flooded field at my feet. Could it really be true?

It was so...

At my feet lay countless hours of scouting. At my feet lay a prize. At my feet lay a dream bird.

At my feet lay.... the "ghost widgeon".

What a fantastic ending to a memorable year in the marsh!!!
JON
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm

My first duck, I was 8 and my dad and I jumped a pond and I shot a blue bill.... I watched my dad wade out in the water to get it for me..... On my wall

Next one was a goose, We were having the hardest time getting on the geese that day and we saw where they were in a field along a grown up fence line. I crawled along it to within 60 yards and spotted a blue goose. The group saw me and i aimed 4 to 5 feet above the blue goose and knocked it down.... On my wall

Then my dog's first retrieve at 6 months. I knocked the bird down and he hops out of the blind goes and gets the bird and brings him back like an ole pro :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Then last season I was having a slow day when a single pintail drake came in.... I knocked it down and behold it was banded!!! Never shot a banded pintail before.... :grooving: :grooving:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 am

my most memorable hunt was 6 teal came in and i shot and well 5 of the things dropped ...one got away(no dog) but i still got four, my other one was a triple with three drake buffel heads ...i about pooped my pants
timmer
hunter

Postby NickT » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Two seasons ago I was hunting with my dad when we saw a big group of pintails over a field to our left. The group was probably within the 100-150 range. The were working our way towards us and eventually started circling our spread. They circled 2-3 times then lost interest. All of the birds but one flew off, but fortunately for me on bird decided to cup up and come on down, and it just happened to be this Eurasian wigeon. Beautiful bird shot here in western Oregon.
Attachments
Eurasion Mount.jpg
euro2.jpg
NickT
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 pm

a buddy and I killed this bird out of a group of gadwall to finish out our limit one morning. Pintail x gadwall hybrid, not sure who shot it, but he got it mounted, I didn't have the money.

2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 pm

that gadwall-pintail looks awesome. great taxidermy work on it too
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby kkelly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 am

To hop in on this thread I'd have to say 2 years ago mid November, my last year hunting in ND. I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of scouting and getting on the birds really well and found a corn field with hundreds of ducks and geese on it. It takes me a day or two to track down permission but I finally get out there with the guys for an afternoon hunt.

To our surmise, this heaven-on-earth corn field had been tilled under since I checked it. But it was the only place we had so we went out and setup. The scenario was less than ideal but we went out anyways. After waiting a while with lots of ducks and geese flying, none of them were interested in our spread. I saw a group of 50 honkers hop up off the river we were near (behind and to our right) and head the other way, so I start laying on the hail call trying to get their attention. Meanwhile a group of 7 honkers flies into our spread landing with the wind and came in totally silent flying in over our shoulders unnoticed. We were totally surprised to turn and see geese walking in our spread! We dropped a all but 2 and got amped up.

After waiting a little while longer, we had ducks flying really high wanting nothing to do with us. Very discouraging I might add... However, as we were calling at a group of high flyers, we all thought that they were going to pass us up and all of a sudden they dive bombed our spread. I was able to drop one of my first fully colored greenies at 60 yards or so. After I dropped him it was tough finding him in the corn rows and the only thing that caught my eye when I did find him was the bright blue flashing on his wing. Great great memory hunting with some amazing buddies!

Loving the stories gentlemen! Keep em coming!
kkelly
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

I would have to say my most memorable would be a tie. One was the first duck I ever shot. It was probably the fourth time I had been out hunting with my dad. We had a spot on the river where we hadn't killed any ducks, but it was comfortable. We finally got a pair of mallards to work and all I could see was that one of them had a shiny green head. They worked better than any ducks I have ever seen. Tried to land 15 yards away right in the middle of the spread. I dropped the drake with my first shot, but he landed with his head up so I put two more in him. Didn't want him getting away on the river. When the hen flew off Dad looked over and said I should have shot for the double. I wasn't letting that one get away though.
The other memorable bird was one day hunting in a pit we have put a lot of work in to. We got it in the ground and realized there was a hole in the side where it was filling up with water. After 3 years of working on lining out the pit and the field we got a couple weeks when it was covered with ducks. I had always wanted to kill a bull pintail. The year before I let my brother shoot first on a group and he beat me to it. We finally had a pintail working the spread. All that season we had started backloading BB shells so our last shot would have a little more range on it. We both missed with our first shots. Don't ask me how. Second shot he was over head and i definitely hit him. He flinched a little. Last shot with the BB shell he was going away and I dropped him. He landed head up so I ran through the rice stubble to get him. I noticed that he stopped about 10 yards shy of the edge and was flopping around. When I got closer I realized he was caught on a tree limb in the water, but he broke loose as i got there. I made sure to wring his neck as gently as I could haha. To this day I wonder what in the world that tree limb was doing in the middle of that field.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I shot my first limit of ducks ever, with my dad in the boat. He took pictures with his camera, it was his first time ever being in a duck boat, and I was happy that he was with me for my first limit. He had a heart attack a few months back so I treasure every moment I can with him.

Five Wigeon and a nice drake ringer. Killed three wigeon with two shells, shot a double on the other two wigeon, and then shot the ringski out of a nice size flock right after shooting started.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Pic got cut off?
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby jaker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:20 pm

dmadden7070 wrote:that gadwall-pintail looks awesome. great taxidermy work on it too

Thank you, and yes it was great taxi work considering, the bird was shot up bad, we didn't know what we had, so we swatted him when he was still kicking on the water, and tore him up pretty bad.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby BlackCLOUD020 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 am

Was my very first greenhead. (me and my brothers first0

BlackCLOUD020
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting