Filming hunts

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Filming hunts

Postby Kamo Klan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi, we are the Kamo Klan, a group of High School students who love to waterfowl hunt every chance we get to. We are ages 16 to 18 and we all go to the same high school. We live in Oklahoma and hunt many different places. We are trying to get into filming ourselves and making webshows but are not truly used to filming hunts. We were wandering if any one had any suggestions on how we could film our hunts and if any one would be interested in watching our shows. Thank you.
Sincerely-Members
Kamo Klan
hunter

Re: Filming hunts

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Kamo, the Oklahoma school system seems to have left you wandering about, wondering how to spell the word "wonder".
Hint: it is not spelled W-A-N-D-E-R.
You did say you were in high school, did you not?

Many high schools sponsor video clubs, groups of students who are interested in and have experience with video-making.
Perhaps you could find one of these clubs in a school near you, and could enlist someone with not only experience in this, but who has the equipment necessary to produce a good outdoor vid. Good luck, and I would like to see whatever you produce.
mudpack
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Im sure if you leave the cussing and sky blasting and water swatting out we all would enjoy to watch your videos.The more serious you keep it while still having fun,the more serious fellow hunters will take your group.I myself am new to dhc and from what i have seen here in other posting,i think its safe to say no black hoodies.Good luck. :thumbsup:
greasegetter
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 pm

greasegetter wrote:Im sure if you leave the cussing and sky blasting and water swatting out we all would enjoy to watch your videos.The more serious you keep it while still having fun,the more serious fellow hunters will take your group.I myself am new to dhc and from what i have seen here in other posting,i think its safe to say no black hoodies.Good luck. :thumbsup:

With the name of the group, I wouldn't risk white hoods either.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:With the name of the group, I wouldn't risk white hoods either.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby chaltig » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 pm

This is a cool video. Definitely one worth looking at. Not a whole lot of ducks shot but its well made.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=173170

I'd look into getting a gopro and the handle bar mount and if you have a vented ribbed barrel you could attach it to the gun. or get the head mount and wear it over your hat. They shoot in HD and work really well. The Hero is now cheaper too because the Hero 2 is out I use mine for snowboarding and biking all the time. As for a hand held, I have no idea. Look on new egg. They are really thorough with reviews.

Hope this helps
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 pm

I just bought a Lid Cam at a local hunting expo. I haven't tried it yet but I watched a good deal of video that some guys shot while using it and I'm pumped to start using it. It may or may not be what you are looking for but if you have the budget, you could perhaps get some nice first person type shooting video segments.

Lid Cam: http://www.cabelas.com/bow-cameras-rhino-outdoors-lid-cam-action-video-camera.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1257938&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=142FDB18-8FD6-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla

Good luck!
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Kamo Klan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:10 pm

With the name of the group, I wouldn't risk white hoods either.[/quote]

Yeah we didn't really think about the word "klan" When we made the group. We didn't just want to be the camo clan, because I'm sure there are many of them, but I assure you we have nothing to do with the klu klux klan.
Kamo Klan
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I surly didnt mean anything related to ktimes3.I was just quoting lots of guys beating on black hooded sweatshirts not sheets.but i do wish you well. :hi:
greasegetter
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:34 pm

We tried videoing some of our hunts this year and it was a disaster. I think we got like 6 or 8 kill shots on camera. We hunt 90% woodies and its in tight ponds and flooded timber so its kinda hard. Had a blast doing it for sure but it was just to fast paced, too low light and all of my buddies would rather have a 12ga in there hand instead of a sony. It was funny to see how cracked out (as my wife woluld say) we get when 50 or so woodies come to a pond in a matter of 30 minutes.
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 am

dmiller_time wrote:We tried videoing some of our hunts this year and it was a disaster. I think we got like 6 or 8 kill shots on camera. We hunt 90% woodies and its in tight ponds and flooded timber so its kinda hard. Had a blast doing it for sure but it was just to fast paced, too low light and all of my buddies would rather have a 12ga in there hand instead of a sony. It was funny to see how cracked out (as my wife woluld say) we get when 50 or so woodies come to a pond in a matter of 30 minutes.

Couldn't agree more. From my experience, you really need a dedicated camera person that is not going to hunt. And with how much I love hunting... it's not going to be me. :biggrin:

That is why I am going to try the Lid Cam. It is not perfect by far but I am hoping to get enough good quick clips / shots where perhaps I can put together a 3-5 minute highlight video at the end of next season.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 am

You will find that watching the videos you have made will not nearly be as much fun as just enjoying the hunt while you are on it...........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Cliner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 am

Not trying to discourage you, but filming waterfowl is very difficult to do well. I have several friends who are very successful in the outdoor filming industry and it wears on them. It's a pain in the @$$ to have to keep re-doing shots and making sure your lighting is right, etc. They do mainly deer and turkey hunting and it's difficult at that, when they do waterfowl it's even more difficult. Think about how waterfowling wears out your "waterfowling equipment", think about that with a camera, microphone, DSLR's for interviews, clip on mics, etc.

If you really want to get into it, start by taking a photography/videography class at a local community college or somewhere like that. There are tons of little tips that make videos so much better: the rule of 1/3's, white balance, panning techniques, etc. Good luck in your endeavor, but don't take the fun out of what you love to do.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:You will find that watching the videos you have made will not nearly be as much fun as just enjoying the hunt while you are on it...........

True, but they have (I have the I-Kam) helped me prove a few ducks/geese I killed that a friend claimed (you could actually see me shoot and the bird fold before his wad went out when you slowed it down).

Also helped me with overleading on close shots.

So there are a few unintended benefits as well as remember the hunts a little more vividly.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby CuppedAddiction247 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am

Just hunt dude . Have a designated camera man and do your thing is my advice . It is tough to hunt and run a camera so either do one or the other . Also said earlier Gopro shotgun mount so you can do a lil of both . However it has no zoom so u better get em Cupped in !
Capturing experiences,memories and greatness one day at a time
CuppedAddiction247
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Kamo Klan wrote:With the name of the group, I wouldn't risk white hoods either.

Yeah we didn't really think about the word "klan" When we made the group. We didn't just want to be the camo clan, because I'm sure there are many of them, but I assure you we have nothing to do with the ku klux klan.[/quote]

spelling or history mistake?
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Filming hunts

Postby Coleman24 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Definitely watching quality video, and popular hunting shows and tryin to, in a sense, mimic it will help. Finding a person or a rotation I video (that's my groups problem)... Also if you take time, and put it on YouTube and on the chat I'm sure lots will watch it! Good luck bus. Where in OK you guys out of? From PA but we get down there a lot, some quality game down there!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 am

All of the above is correct. You have to have a dedicated cameraman if you really want to produce a line of videos. If that person is found, they need practice. Filming isn't something you can just pick up a camera a press record. It takes years of practice and it really helps if your using the same camera time and time again. Knowing you camera and how to operate it is half the battle.

Filming deer and turkey is a challenge. Constantly changing lighting condition, communication with the hunter, and the fact that you get one take makes it tough. Take those challenges and compound it by 10 and that's waterfowl hunting! Way more subject to film, try to film, having to constantly be checking for a lower bird/group of birds cutting under the group your on, and erratic flying just to name a few obstacles. I've filmed deer/turkeys for 5 years and this year took on the challenge of waterfowl. After filming a two hour hunt, you will be exhausted. It is mentally draining!

Like Cline said, think about what you do to your regular waterfowl equipment and then think about the $1000's of video equipment. Granted, you can do it cheaper, but to do it right that price might get you started. Equipment gets beat up in a waterfowl setting!

You can get some really cool video from the Lid Cam's and GoPro's strapped to guns. Probably not something you can make a true "show" out of, but great kill shots to show the guys and family.

With all that being said, if you do decided to spend the money and dedicate yourself or whoever to filming, there is a breed of people who get just as big of a kick out of filming the hunt as they do shooting during the hunt. I fit into the group. I have zero problem "shooting" them with a camera. Its cool to take the raw footage and turn it into a finished product that tells the story of the hunt. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using a gun, but I'm lucky to get my fill of shooting them with a gun through the week when others are working. Then I'll film on the weekend when everyone can get together.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby CuppedAddiction247 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 am

Fowled reality is on here !!! Awesome ya they know whats up and can give alot of good advice as far as filming goes!
Capturing experiences,memories and greatness one day at a time
CuppedAddiction247
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 am

It's great that you are wanting to film hunts. But as mentioned your going to be hit for a reality check.

First is the camera. A good quality camera is going to run you 500 dollars or more and that's JUST the camera. I would also stay away from standard definition cameras as HD is now becoming the standard and those will run you more. Next would be the SD or other memory card. I use a 32 or 64 gig HD those will run about 60 on up. If you get an HD camera get a HD card. Also the lens filters will cost you plus a remote. Then you will need a external mic with wind screen and a good quality camera light. Now if you want in the blind shots of your crew taking them you will need another camera and for this I'll recommend kodak playsport.

Next is the camera support, you will need a tripod and a fluid head to make sure your movements arent jerky. Plus a tripod for your inside the blind shots. I recommend a gorilla pod for your inside the blind camera (you can mount it almost anywhere). You will also need a waterproof case to keep your cameras in especially waterfowl hunting. I recommend pelican cases and yes they can be expensive but are well worth their weight in gold. Especially when it comes to 1000s in equipment.

Next is the editing equipment. it will cost alot too. If you want music in your flim you need to get royalty free music which is more money. And get a graphics generator. :biggrin:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

The next is the amount of time you have to put in. When filming there are somedays things just dont work out, if your wanting to get mostly kill shots. Plus weather conditions can play a major role in filming as well. But all that hunting and scouting will be nothing compared to the editing process. The editing process you have to go through hundreds of clips, cut, paste, crop, adjust sound levels, adjust the timing, build graphics, put graphics at the proper places, listen to tons of music tracks to find the perfect one for that clip, and within all that you have to find ways to participate in real life as well......... Whew.

It's alot of work. I mean WORK. Mentally and physically draining. Now if you want just a run of the mill video then ignore everything i have said and do whatever.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

okduckdude wrote:The next is the amount of time you have to put in. When filming there are somedays things just dont work out, if your wanting to get mostly kill shots. Plus weather conditions can play a major role in filming as well. But all that hunting and scouting will be nothing compared to the editing process. The editing process you have to go through hundreds of clips, cut, paste, crop, adjust sound levels, adjust the timing, build graphics, put graphics at the proper places, listen to tons of music tracks to find the perfect one for that clip, and within all that you have to find ways to participate in real life as well......... Whew.

It's alot of work. I mean WORK. Mentally and physically draining. Now if you want just a run of the mill video then ignore everything i have said and do whatever.

Absolutely! Music is the devil!
Last edited by FowledReality on Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby CecilWoodie » Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am

mudpack wrote:Kamo, the Oklahoma school system seems to have left you wandering about, wondering how to spell the word "wonder".
Hint: it is not spelled W-A-N-D-E-R.
You did say you were in high school, did you not?
why do you take the time to correct a high-schooler's spelling?

Many high schools sponsor video clubs, groups of students who are interested in and have experience with video-making.
Perhaps you could find one of these clubs in a school near you, and could enlist someone with not only experience in this, but who has the equipment necessary to produce a good outdoor vid. Good luck, and I would like to see whatever you produce.
scout, scout, scout.... fail.....scout some more
CecilWoodie
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 pm

If your not on a real tight budget get 2 or 3 go pro cameras. Put one out in from of you looking into the blind and put one or 2 on the gun barrels of the shooters. They are wide angle HD cameras and small and light. And best of all everyone can shoot. It won't be a professional grade video but I would watch it.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 am

Fwiw, as soon as I see a video features a fish-eyed or gun mounted camera, I quit watching. They just bug me so much I lose interest in seeing what they may have captured. Wide angle, per se, is fine, as long as the level of distortion is low enough not to be obvious and distracting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting