Filming hunts

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Filming hunts

Postby NTXduckhunts » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Rick Hall wrote:Fwiw, as soon as I see a video features a fish-eyed or gun mounted camera, I quit watching. They just bug me so much I lose interest in seeing what they may have captured. Wide angle, per se, is fine, as long as the level of distortion is low enough not to be obvious and distracting.

Rick is so right..The Gopro and all the others are not really made for this application.. Unless your shooting birds 10 feet away..The distortion is too huge ( everything looks a 100 miles away you can‘t see the birds)..If you look at (Go Pro, etc.)the surfing, motoX etc looks great because the action is 5’ away and to the immediate sides…
Try one of these BUT if you want to do this as a profession or a class project you or someone will need to film..If you can’t give up one morning of shooting give it up and get a tri pod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFr8c7n_0To
or something like this..They even make them for the K. Flip
NTXduckhunts
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am

Watch the video "Layout hunting for diver ducks" on YouTube. I don't know what kind of mountable camera he used but I think it turned out quite well. You guys are probably right about the go pros though. I might be hard to see the ducks if you were shooting them outside 25 yards or so. I know they make good mountable cameras for hunting situations because I've seen them on tv for many hunting situations. I realize you aren't going to get the professional grade videos that you would with a designated camera man but I know I wouldn't want to give up my gun for a camera. Just my opinion.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 am

The GoPro 2's can be adjusted from the wide 170 degree POV to a more narrow 90 degrees in effect zooming in on the video content. By mounting it to a gun you're hopefully going to have the bird nearly centered in the frame so losing the wide view isn't bad. The narrower field of view also helps lessen/eliminate the fisheye look since your image is coming from the center part of the lens rather than the curved portion of it. If you were to go with a wider angle, there is plenty of software out there to take out the fisheye look. We use Gopro's a lot. They aren't perfect, but with some playing, you can get some good stuff.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby blooddriven1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXehudv6oig
heres one of my videos, not perfect, but it's how I do it. good luck its a hard task buddy
blooddriven1
Newb

Postby Ryanp » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:15 pm

[yt] p9HPtw807EE [/yt]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ryanp
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 pm

I made my own cam mount by taking a camo baseball cap, poke a hole in the brim and stick a screw from a camera tripod through it and secured the camera on with it. Ive recorded a couple kills with it and its pretty cool
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Ryanp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Yup that'll work good too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ryanp
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting