weather/ location preferences

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

weather/ location preferences

Postby spoonbill18 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 am

Me and some of my buddies were arguing the other day about when was the ideal time to hunt certain places. So i figured i would post it on here and see what yall think. Ex. if it was a cloudy day would you hunt the fields, lake, or woods? and there on for blue bird, partly cloudy, cold fronts, What do yall think is the best combination....
spoonbill18
hunter

Re: weather/ location preferences

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 am

For me, the days Ive done the best are clear windy cold fronts! I can think of my best hunts and 20-30 mph winds at -10 below or colder where the best days I've had. Now, they made for the best hunt, but decoys had so much ice build up on them they were double in size. Hands and face were numb.
The coldest day about 8 Thanksgivings ago, it was a little above 0 when we were putting up decoys. When the sun came up, the wind came with it. We were in heavy gusts, clear blue skies, and a wind chill that hit -30 at its very worst. We were cold and froze out the water pump on the motor. We were a mile and a half from the landing with ice forming between there and the blind. By noon we had a four man limit of ducks and geese, but a dead motor, ice, and a mile and a half of water to cover. Couldn't row because of the ice, so we ended up having to walk the shore pushing the boat ahead of us to break the inch of ice that formed throughout the morning. We got back after dark, all of us missing our Thanksgiving dinners. That was the worst-best day of hunting I ever had!
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:08 pm

clouds and rain... field..

clear blue 35 degrees + wood.. below.. field with open water or big water..

front with high wind.. protected areas on big water of a field that meets a few critera. day after a big front. field.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby spartan231490 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm

The few guys I've hunted with don't much care what the whether is, with the exception that a good cold front gets the birds moving, the only thing they care about is which direction the wind is blowing from.
spartan231490
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 am

if it is foggy don't bother getting up early. Hard to decoy the birds if they birds can't see you.
kbooger
hunter

Postby WAGON WHEEL » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 pm

The day before a front the ducks pile into the fields.I think the worst is a full moon,they feed all night and hide all day.
WAGON WHEEL
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 pm

16 degreese and blue bird skys
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Anything but days without wind..... Those days i just as well be deer hunting
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting