Stoeger m2000

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Stoeger m2000

Postby esiegel91 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 am

Hey guys I'm looking at this to buy to replace my mossberg 835 but I don't know much about it...what can you guys tell me about it..it was on a list of top waterfowl guns.. thanks in advance
esiegel91
hunter

Re: Stoeger m2000

Postby d_money » Sun May 06, 2012 12:53 am

i did the same thing a few years ago and messed up horrably i bought a 1187 super mag that broke down several times. but if you are up to getting another pump you might be better searved. i went on a late season sky carp hunt a few years ago and we all brought autos but also brought our old pumps to back them up incase something happened. well it ened up out of the 5 of us by day 5 i was shooting my 835, 3 870's and one moss 500. so much shooting in hunting conditions shut down 4 sbe2's and my 1187 broke again no supprise there tho. so after many years of fighting my 1187 i sent it in to the gunsmith to get fixed for the last time and bought a new 870 super mag all camo. and very glad i did now i finnaly dont have to worry my gun wont go bang on the second or the 3rd shot. every auto out eventually has cyclying problems no matter what and if you are like me i cant have that. i hunt on average 3-4 times a week when the season is going and a few weeks where i take off work and go to the valley also. so i run my guns hard and im glad to have a pump again.
d_money
hunter

Re: Re: Stoeger m2000

Postby esiegel91 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 am

d_money wrote:i did the same thing a few years ago and messed up horrably i bought a 1187 super mag that broke down several times. but if you are up to getting another pump you might be better searved. i went on a late season sky carp hunt a few years ago and we all brought autos but also brought our old pumps to back them up incase something happened. well it ened up out of the 5 of us by day 5 i was shooting my 835, 3 870's and one moss 500. so much shooting in hunting conditions shut down 4 sbe2's and my 1187 broke again no supprise there tho. so after many years of fighting my 1187 i sent it in to the gunsmith to get fixed for the last time and bought a new 870 super mag all camo. and very glad i did now i finnaly dont have to worry my gun wont go bang on the second or the 3rd shot. every auto out eventually has cyclying problems no matter what and if you are like me i cant have that. i hunt on average 3-4 times a week when the season is going and a few weeks where i take off work and go to the valley also. so i run my guns hard and im glad to have a pump again.

Thanks for the input. I also was looking at the benelli nova or supernova..maybe ill stick with pump...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
esiegel91
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 am

IMHO go big or not at all... If you are gonna get an autoloader save up a little longer and get a Versa Max or SBE2 or Maxus instead of a "b" grade gun like a stoeger or 1100/1187 Remi... If you can't save up the 1250-1500 for 1 of those guns then stick with a pump. I've had my 870 for 13 seasons and it has been fairly trouble free through 1000's of rounds in any weather from 100 degree dove hunts to -30 duck hunts in South Dakota blizzards during college
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 am

I shot a 835 for 11 years. I loved that thing. Decided this year it was time for a new gun, bought a Supernova max/4. It cycles 2 3/4 to 3 1/2's. Havent had any issues yet. but it's fairly new so time will tell. The one thing I can say is that my turkey loads didnt kick the hell outta me like they did out of my mossberg.
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 am

sprigs4days wrote:I shot a 835 for 11 years. I loved that thing. Decided this year it was time for a new gun, bought a Supernova max/4. It cycles 2 3/4 to 3 1/2's. Havent had any issues yet. but it's fairly new so time will tell. The one thing I can say is that my turkey loads didnt kick the hell outta me like they did out of my mossberg.

The supernova is good. Only issues I've had with it is if you don't get the barrel COMPLETELY seated (down to the last 1/100") it won't fire. The other thing is that is sounds like a damn cannon going off so ear protection is a must with the thing... I know I'm gonna catch hell cuz "it's a 12 gauge, how could it sound any different than any other?" but it just does...
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby houagie » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

i've been shooting one for the past five years and loved it..though i just recently upgraded to the maxus because i found a slug barrel for the stoeger so now i use it for deer.....not near as many problems with it as other shot guns in its price range....but like they say," you get what you pay for!!" it does have its problems, but it's like a car....you have to take care of it and it'll never let you down....i would definately do what the other guys have suggested and save some money for a more quality gun.....but if you really want the stoeger then go for it.
houagie
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

There are 4 m2000s being used in the group I hunt with none of us ever having any problems. No matter what auto loader u buy u will have cycling problems at some point so dont go out and spend 1500 on an sbe2 which has its share of problems like the rest of em. Buy the m200 and a nova pump which both in camo will total aprox. $1000 and take the 500 and buy a case or two of shells for the season.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue May 15, 2012 5:10 pm

I have a friend who is notoriously hard on his guns. He had a Remington Model 11 that was left to him by an old waterfowler when he passed on. He used that gun for years, cleaning it "once a year, whether it needed it or not." Two years ago he replaced the Model 11 (he couldn't get certain parts any more) with a Stoeger 2000. He's never had a problem with it and absolutely loves the gun. He got a good one.

The difference between the Stoeger and a Benelli or a Beretta, for example, is quality control. With the Stoeger, you are more likely to have to send the gun back for repair than you will with one of the others. Doesn't mean that you won't get a flawless Stoeger, like my friend did. Nor does it mean that you won't have any issues with a Beretta. Certainly, both can happen.

The thing you want to do with any waterfowl gun is to make your decision based on a couple of factors and weigh them against each other according to your own priorities. Fit and balance should be at the top of your list. A shotgun that doesn't fit you will never shoot where you are looking. You need to go to a store and mount the gun properly and see how it comes up. You need to do this while wearing your waterfowling clothes. Buying a shotgun that came up and fit like a glove while wearing a tee shirt is going to cause issues when the north wind is howling next December and January. You want a gun that you feel comfortable with. Personally, I would love a Browning A5. Unfortunately, while the dimensions are there and the gun seems to fit, I can't get used to the hump in front of my face!

The other main consideration is the gun and manufacturer's reputation for reliability and responsibility. A perfectly fitting gun that is perfectly balanced and shoots exactly where you look is useless if it doesn't go bang every time the trigger is pulled.

Regarding this last point with respect to your original request, I like the gun. It shoulders well for me and in my limited experience (friends who own them) I've not known them to be problematic. But, if it were me, I'd be looking for a Beretta A390. You can get some pretty good deals on the used market for about the same price as the A2000. Just my opinion.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby maclavin » Tue May 15, 2012 6:40 pm

^^^^^Great post. Like to see helpfull info instead of buy the one I own.

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Tue May 15, 2012 9:25 pm

I have the M2000 and the M3500. Easily a 1000 rounds through each gun, never a problem. I would buy the M3500 if I were you since it is chambered to 3 1/2", I love the M2000, but I also hunt geese and in the late season we gotta use 3 1/2's....through some shrewd (LOL) negotiations at Gander Mtn, I GOT THE m3500 for the same price as the M2000. I understand there are critics of these guns, but I can only offer my personal experiences and they have all been positive.
"CALL ME AARON BURR...CAUSE I'M DROPPIN' HAMILTONS!!"
NYGOOSEHUNTER
hunter

Postby Louka » Wed May 16, 2012 5:37 am

I've owned a M2000 for 4 seasons and am very pleased with the performance. I shoot it for upland, skeet, trap, and waterfowl (duck and geese both). Never felt that its held back by not taking 3.5 shells. Mine is black synth, and the bluing does tend to wear easier than on my early 90's 870 or my ruger O/U, but I really don't baby it too much. Never had a cycling issue, but on occasion the lever mechanism where you load the shells will stick closed. I open the bolt and close it once or twice... issue resolved for awhile. Nice gun for the price, I couldn't afford a higher end auto at the time. I do not notice any difference in felt recoil, compared to my other shotguns, but I do use a ported kicks that patterns great for me, probably helps the recoil as well.I've heard of issues with light firing pin strikes with the stoeger m2000, but never experienced it with mine.
Mark........ Louka!
Louka
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun May 20, 2012 4:10 pm

I had a M2000 and had nothing but problems with it. I had cycling problems at first and then after some polishing of the bolt and more grease i took care of that for the most part and then i had the weak pin which would shoot the first shell and then not set off the next. After a few hunts with the same problems i traded it in for a Benelli Vinci. Best duck hunting decision i've made. The problem is that if you do get a bad one theres nothing that you can do about it besides try to fix it.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby birddude99 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:24 pm

i satarted out on one and put about 5000 rounds through it on the clays courses in 6 months and had no problems, loved it, no complaints
birddude99
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:25 am

Last edited by finsnfeathershunter on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm

I own a Stoeger m2000 and it's a great gun. I've used it for one season and treated it pretty rough and it has yet to jam, great gun for the money
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby fishingkid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I have a m2000 that has 2 seasons on it now and just came across a minor problem. The ejector pin had a hole woren into the side of the housing. I replaced the ejector pin ran 100 rounds through it and its beginning to do it again. Only problem i have had with it. But customer service has been top notch with trying to help with the problem.
fishingkid
hunter

Postby kyblackangus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

As others have said it all depends on the individual Stoeger you get. Mine is an absolute boat anchor.

I purchased the gun from the Cabelas in Michigan. Mega-problems right out of the box (won't cycle, barely dents shells, etc...) I call customer service to try to get some service. They tell me that my gun is already registered! WTH? Very long story short but after all the back and forth with Cabelas and customer service all I can tell is that these bad guns get passed around until they stick with a sucker like me. I still have the gun but I rarely bring in field as the misfires are to the point of a safety issue.

What I learned:
1) Spend the extra 500 and get a decent autoloader
2) Never buy a gun from Cabelas
kyblackangus
hunter

Postby Hunter06FLKY » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 am

I don't own one personally but it will most likely be my next shotgun purchase.

2 of my best hunting buddies have them and swear by them. One of them has had his for about 3 years now and uses it on a competitive skeet and trap team and has put probably 5000 rounds through it in the time he's had it. This is also his primary duck gun. The only time I can think of him ever having issues is when we were shooting clays with some very light loads and had some cycling issues. Other than that he's never had any issues and he's not one to religiously clean his guns eaither. I've shot his on countless occasions and never had a problem this has been both while shooting clays and also when hunting.

My other friend just recently bought one and uses it on a regular basis in the Florida salt marshes and has had nothing but good things to say. He traded up from an older 870 and hasn't turned back from it.
Hunter06FLKY
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I have hunted HARD with one and thrown a TON of steel down range without any issues what so ever!! I dropped it shortly after I purchased it and broke the charging handle. I boxed it up and sent it to....BENNELLI, who makes these, in Maryland and they replaced the handle, fired it, cleaned it, replaced my true glow sights, and even mailed like 3 extra sights with it! You cannot beat that!! No hassle and I will DEFINITELY purchase another Stoeger and recommend it to anyone!! Plus you can't beat the price of them!!! You pay $1600 to beat up a gun in very harsh conditions when you can have one that comes from the same maker for half the less than half the cost of a Binnelli!! I'm not knocking any of those guns and they are all well performers, but I could be spending that extra cash on my hunting equipment instead of the manufactures name!

Best Of Luck.
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting