Water Swatter!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Water Swatter!

Postby HonkQuackBang » Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 am

Hey guys!

Had a debate with some friends about swattin' those ducks on water.Now i can only speak for myself "Have never done it and wont either!" But a few friends say when you see divers goin' down to feed they are under water for 15-20 seconds and when you put so much time and patience ito closing in on them you should swat like hell! I cant see the point in killin ducks on water but thats me i suppose!

Its not illegal over here or anything just a bit unorthodox!

Anyway wanted to know what you guys thought?
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Re: Water Swatter!

Postby flight control » Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 am

I dont know if this counts as water swatting but this can be a lot of fun with divers. You sneak up on a bunch of divers feeding near shore.Wait until most of them are submerged,jump the ones on the water and shoot.Reload as fast as you can and the others will come up running on the water. I like to wait until they are airborne, so its really more like jump shooting.If you are interested, there was a recent thread in the HH about water swatting ( I think it was the HH )
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 am

Here's the thread if you are interested in reading through. Your situation is a bit different than what most on here are debating though. Personally I don't like shooting birds on the water because I feel you don't get clean kills nearly as often but that's just me.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163661
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:49 am

Ducks on the water = fish in a barrel......................... not much sport to it.............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:22 pm

aint nuthin like a good ole ground pound! if i can shoot a limit with one shot i'll do it in a heartbeat! i'm all about effeciency!
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 pm

We have an 85 year old man hunting with us and I will often let him swat one on the water and then I shoot the flying birds. If geese come in and get on the water before the shot is called. I would much rather see them jumped by water swatting a bird. It seems like the jumped birds will be better shots. If you stand up to jump them they will usually turn tail to you and take off. I don't like shooting geese in the butt.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sat May 19, 2012 2:40 pm

People may hate water swatting, but I'll swat away. Just me.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby saw83 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Youth hunts and finishing off cripped birds, thats it for me. But to each his own! Don't over bag, contribute to wetlands and have a fun time :thumbsup:
saw83
Newb

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:40 pm

duckman2525 wrote:aint nuthin like a good ole ground pound! if i can shoot a limit with one shot i'll do it in a heartbeat! i'm all about effeciency!

Just out of curiosity what do you do for the rest of the day?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:
duckman2525 wrote:aint nuthin like a good ole ground pound! if i can shoot a limit with one shot i'll do it in a heartbeat! i'm all about effeciency!

Just out of curiosity what do you do for the rest of the day?

whatever the heck i want...go to work, spend time with my family, sleep, eat...killin one bird an hour is for the birds...i'm all about a quick limit, thats what timber huntin is all about...big groups and quick limits, the quicker the better
Last edited by duckman2525 on Sun May 20, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckman2525
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:45 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:Ducks on the water = fish in a barrel......................... not much sport to it.............

ALL i hunt is flooded timber, when you get a big group of mallards all the way down to the water in public timber you've done something right...a duck on the water has been called and worked as far as you can possibly work him (job well done) so shooting him where he sits only makes perfect sense me...why flush a big group only to watch the majority fly away when you can tear into them right on the spot at 20 yards or less????? :huh:
duckman2525
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun May 20, 2012 7:13 am

Because if you have the skill to fool the bird all the way in you should also have the skill to hit him while he is still moving... When you FLOCK shoot at birds on the water there is no way to control what you will incidentally hit aka hens. I've got no problem with people killing hens if that's what they like doing but personally I like my birds on the wing so that I am in control of what is falling. And anyone can fool the birds once, the question is can you continue to do it and pull out 1 bird at time until you've got limits. Last I looked there was no race or winner in duck hunting so why rush something you enjoy? Unless you're in it solely for the killing :no:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 pm

BGipson wrote:Because if you have the skill to fool the bird all the way in you should also have the skill to hit him while he is still moving... When you FLOCK shoot at birds on the water there is no way to control what you will incidentally hit aka hens. I've got no problem with people killing hens if that's what they like doing but personally I like my birds on the wing so that I am in control of what is falling. And anyone can fool the birds once, the question is can you continue to do it and pull out 1 bird at time until you've got limits. Last I looked there was no race or winner in duck hunting so why rush something you enjoy? Unless you're in it solely for the killing :no:

i enjoy all aspects of duck hunting but at the end of the day the only reason i'm out there is to KILL. I like shooting ducks close, the closer the better. i will not take a shot outside of 30 yards in the timber. if they are on the water and present a good shot, i take it....thats how we hunt down here in the woods
duckman2525
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm

I'll water swat sometimes, but wouldn't do it for an entire limit. Guys will set there and say that water swatting is "too easy," but from my experience shooting a mallard back peddling at 20 yards is just as easy. I've had days when it was wavy and they'd try to time there landing between waves. I probably could have hit them with a .22. But I'm not out there just to kill. And I love laying into a bunch of teal as they fly straight up above the blind. Though I will swat, I usually shoot on the wing.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Sun May 20, 2012 8:12 pm

We all hunt to kill ducks. Whether that be for the killing, which is all some care about, or the enjoyment of the entire experience, which most of us care about, in the end the goal is to kill birds. While I have a great time hunting regardless of what I bring home, if I never killed birds, I would not be hunting. Shoot them on the water or shoot them in the air, it doesnt matter. Dead is dead. I would prefer to shoot a bird out of the air, simply because it is more challenging and is what it "wingshooting" is about. However I have shot many birds off of the water and have absolutely no problem doing it. As others have said, if youve called and decoyed the birds right, you've won the battle. Kill them how you want. If all you care about is shooting ability, shoot skeet.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:48 pm

PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:We all hunt to kill ducks. Whether that be for the killing, which is all some care about, or the enjoyment of the entire experience, which most of us care about, in the end the goal is to kill birds. While I have a great time hunting regardless of what I bring home, if I never killed birds, I would not be hunting. Shoot them on the water or shoot them in the air, it doesnt matter. Dead is dead. I would prefer to shoot a bird out of the air, simply because it is more challenging and is what it "wingshooting" is about. However I have shot many birds off of the water and have absolutely no problem doing it. As others have said, if youve called and decoyed the birds right, you've won the battle. Kill them how you want. If all you care about is shooting ability, shoot skeet.

well put :clapping:
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 am

I was brought on by men who might have taken a beating before they'd shoot a sitting bird that didn't gobble. It just wasn't done, so I didn't do it.

Now I live in a region where it's pretty common and generally accepted practice, but by the time I moved here, I was well beyond the point where I've felt the need for a bird badly enough to skillet shoot it, so I haven't.

That said, I've started both grandsons old enough to shoot by encouraging them to shoot sitting ducks. Plainly I figured it would do them more good than harm.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 am

Rick Hall wrote:I was brought on by men who might have taken a beating before they'd shoot a sitting bird that didn't gobble. It just wasn't done, so I didn't do it.

Now I live in a region where it's pretty common and generally accepted practice, but by the time I moved here, I was well beyond the point where I've felt the need for a bird badly enough to skillet shoot it, so I haven't.

That said, I've started both grandsons old enough to shoot by encouraging them to shoot sitting ducks. Plainly I figured it would do them more good than harm.

x2 my dog might get thrown off if I shot the water since everything has always fallen from the sky for her :lol3:

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:03 pm

I consider myself a conservationist..... I conserve ammo by takin em out on the water...
If it flies it dies, and if it sits there it still dies.. Don't even think twice bout.. But to each his own.. Just don't pass judgement on others for their beliefs... Way I see it is it ain't illegal so no harm...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon May 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:I consider myself a conservationist..... I conserve ammo by takin em out on the water...
If it flies it dies, and if it sits there it still dies.. Don't even think twice bout.. But to each his own.. Just don't pass judgement on others for their beliefs... Way I see it is it ain't illegal so no harm...

In some states it is but in others it is not... Texas I assume it is legal

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm

BGipson wrote:
Indiancreekducks87 wrote:I consider myself a conservationist..... I conserve ammo by takin em out on the water...

This brings up a good point. What states consider it illegal to shoot a duck on the water?
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Very legal... Lol.. I can honestly say I obey the laws and since it's not illegal then I see no issue... It's not that I can't make long shots when they are in flight cause I'm perfectly capable.. I figure after planting and brushing blinds all summer, putting out dekes every morning, and callin em to the water I'm entitled to ground swat em if I want...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Very legal... Lol.. I can honestly say I obey the laws and since it's not illegal then I see no issue... It's not that I can't make long shots when they are in flight cause I'm perfectly capable.. I figure after planting and brushing blinds all summer, putting out dekes every morning, and callin em to the water I'm entitled to ground swat em if I want...

:thumbsup:
duckman2525
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
BGipson wrote:

This brings up a good point. What states consider it illegal to shoot a duck on the water?

South Dakota is illegal to shoot any bird on the ground (besides turkey). Ducks, geese, pheasant, doves, etc all have to be flying.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 am

"I generally hesitate to weigh in on questions of "hunting ethics," which usually involve more aesthetic than ethical issues. One or two examples may illustrate the point. Shooting ducks on the wing is one case: true devotees of duck hunting insist upon the necessity of a "rule" to shoot ducks only on "the wing," i.e. in the air, and not while they are at rest on the water. The phrase "sitting duck" captures the essence of unsporting practice-the shooting at any target that is not "fair game." And yet, shooting a duck on the water may be a far more deadly shot, more likely to kill the bird cleanly, more guaranteed to put a bird "in the bag" than an ethically riskier shot at a duck flying straightaway at a high speed over forty yards distant. "Potting" ducks (as in killing a duck for the pot, i.e. as food) on the water in the latter case is simply a violation of the aesthetic norms that make duck hunting, duck hunting. The question of how ducks are shot during the course of duck hunting is thus largely (not entirely) an aesthetic issue and not an ethical one at all. This distinction is often misunderstood by hunters as well as by anti-hunters."

I know there are disagreements, but its hard to combat the logic here...

Get the whole article here: http://www.huntfairchase.com/docs/7aa88a58.pdf
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting