Teal Hunting Tips! Anyone got any?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Teal Hunting Tips! Anyone got any?

Postby OxfordQuackStacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

I've only been duck hunting for a few years now and have always been preoccupied with school and football season and what not but this year I'm going to make a strong effort to both teal hunt and early season goose hunt when September roles around. Shot skeet today and I'm so ready to shot at something I can eat!!! Anyone got any tips on teal matter? (Gear, setup, mojo no mojo, anything that's helpful) Thanks William
(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
OxfordQuackStacker
hunter

Re: Teal Hunting Tips! Anyone got any?

Postby okduckdude » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 am

Teal love shallow water. So seek the shallowest water you can find in your area and scout from a distance. For visibility i use mallard hen decoys mixed with teal decoys because most time teal aren't in full plumage and the bigger decoy gives some better visibility, especially if your hunting in a place with a lot of weeds. Mojo's seem to work because they aren't as used to them this early in the season but if there is heavy pressure in your area and those surrounding you are using them i wouldn't use them. Drink lots of water!!! Get out there early because they usually fly for the first hour of daylight and then slow WAY down. If your hunting a rec area make sure you watch for other people doing other recreational activities. Last season a guy called lake patrol on my group cause as soon as shooting hours opened we sounded like a battleship in the shallow area we were hunting. It was funny to see him in his under ware outside of his trailer taking to them and having the lake patrol tell them that it was hunting season and we were in a hunting area.

Other than those tips your just going to have to figure some things out on your own. Concealment is critical but not like it is during regular duck season. I made a blind like the gatortrax layout boat for my jon boat and just covered it up with some of the weeds growing in the lake and we had them literally landing on top of us. i mean LITERALLY. So have fun and make sure you can hit rockets with your shotgun. :thumbsup:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Louisiana Duck Slayer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Forget about looking high in the sky. Teal usually come buzzing in FAST and low
Louisiana Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 pm

They come in low and fast. Keep your hand on the gun. Learn to be quick with the swing. Calling is usually minimal. Feed chatter is what I do mostly. Enjoy and good luck....teal is the best tasting duck out there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2.
mccree79
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:12 pm

They like spinners like a mojo wing thing, teal, or dove. I like #4 steel and IC choke. Others I hunt with use #5, #6, and #6.5 steel. If they are flying you better swing that gun and lead them. Great duck to eat, 99.5% of the time. We have had a few that tasted like the wetlands smell. We like to pick them and throw them in the turkey fryer 10 birds at a time for ten minutes cooking time. They are a blast to hunt, but can be boom or bust depending on the year if we hit or miss the migration. In college we used to just wade out and stand in the lily pads. No blind or boat just stand still and they would buzz the decoys no problem.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:18 pm

The "secret" to shooting teal is to let your buddy shoot first, then pick off the flaring birds.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I would say location is the most important thing... Gotta be on the x... Otherwise they always decoy great for me... And I agree with everyone on taste as well.. And I can def say teal calls work. I have turned quite a few groups especially hunting the pot holes and playas in Lubbock... Around home on the lake and ponds it seems like they want to commit or they dont... And watch out for big ducks and woodies... I have seen quite a few groups while on the lake take out a whole group of gaddy's or resident mallards.. I shoot em with full or mod and number 4 steel... Good luck and they are definitely a blast to hunt. One of my favorite
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby montana bound » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:58 am

Ive killed hundreds of them .
Most with feet down hanging over the decoys like butterflys.
Here are my three tips

1. Be where they want to be.
2. Use good teal decoys and place them together in a flock on the water .
3. Leave the spinning wing mojo crap at home. The birds my come to see it but have always flared when they get close.
Used one and 7 flocks in a row flared, blew the damn thing of the stake with a load of 4's and every flock after that dropped in with feet down.
Happy hunting.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 am

montana bound wrote:3. Leave the spinning wing mojo crap at home. The birds my come to see it but have always flared when they get close. Used one and 7 flocks in a row flared, blew the damn thing of the stake with a load of 4's and every flock after that dropped in with feet down.

Maybe in Montana...but anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon teal will almost always drop right on top of a Mojo, and that includes the regular season. Given that the OP is in Mississippi, better charge those batteries...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 am

CutEm214 wrote:
montana bound wrote:3. Leave the spinning wing mojo crap at home. The birds my come to see it but have always flared when they get close. Used one and 7 flocks in a row flared, blew the damn thing of the stake with a load of 4's and every flock after that dropped in with feet down.

Maybe in Montana...but anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon teal will almost always drop right on top of a Mojo, and that includes the regular season. Given that the OP is in Mississippi, better charge those batteries...

I'm with CutEM. Here in super-pressured Southwest Louisiana, it's relatively rare for teal to bump off a spinner even in late January, much less September. Montana gun pressure on them must be unreal.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am

Gotta agree with Rick and CutEm...We use 3 teal spinners (along with say, 20, regular decoys) all the way through January in the Lake Mattamuskeet area. Perhaps surpringly, very few ducks of any kind do much flaring. Now, this is impoundment hunting not creeks or out on Pamlico Sound...Not sure if calling helps to bring teal in or not. Many days there are so many of them flying that calling just seems superfluous...We are partial to #5 steel shot out of IC chokes or even skeet...Bands collected over the years indicate that our teal come down from Quebec...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby montana bound » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm

I spent 37 years hunting the salt marshes of South Jersey where green wing teal are the bread and butter of our limits. and the birds flare at them because they have been over used
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby OxfordQuackStacker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Any pointers on decoy placement for where I'm going to be hunting? It will be in shallow water on the edge of a lake where the green green grass meets the water, this is where I saw them last year but never hunted them. Should I spread them out along the waters edge, in groups, out from the grass, or what? Thanks :thumbsup:
(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
OxfordQuackStacker
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 am

I run my decoys close to the bank to about 10 ft out. I also through about 4 to 6 mottle duck decoys a little further out about 15 to 25 ft out. Put the spinner close to the furthest out teal decoy. Good kuck and hope your quick.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Go scouting and look for teal. Don't just set up in a spot because it looks like teal may like it. If you jump groups of teal in flooded grass hunt the grass,if they are in potholes hunt there.

Mojos are like crack to teal. You can get away with mojo doves if you're on a budget. If you are using Mojos just make sure they are high enough to be seen. I hunt flooded areas in the grass and use only a dozen or so dekes with 2 spinners. One spinner just over the grass and the other about 3' over the grass.

Be out there early as they often don't fly long if they aren't pressured. The first hour of shooting is usually the best. I do use teal calls with great results during teal season,it will often turn a passing group hard.

Big shot and shells aren't needed for teal. I shoot my 20 90% of the time for teal season. Those cheap steel target loads from academy work well for close working teal with a 12 gauge.
dog walker
hunter

Postby honestcharlie56 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:54 pm

forget everything negative you have read in this thread about a mojo, we always have birds and very very rarely do they flare off the mojo. Go spend some time gettin comfortable with your calls (or don't call at all), cause honestly I shot plenty of teal before ever learning to call them.
honestcharlie56
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Im from Ireland as some of ou may know and will give you an insight to how the gwt work into mojos!

Went out one morning before the flight to a flooded area of marsh.Teal have been using it for three or four days so i got my deeks and mojo in place out in the flood. Placing my mojo about 3ft above the water the wind had its wing going flat out!!! Gwt love the mojo! The divebombed that thing for 5hrs that day went home with 24 teal & 2 mallard & 2 wigeon!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby webfettish » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 am

Wish Wisconsin had a teal seasion :mad: i envy you guys!

Have fun though! teal really is the best tasting duck! make sure you clean them right, if you are breasting them then you are missing out!
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby mach316 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

mach316
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Rick Hall wrote:The "secret" to shooting teal is to let your buddy shoot first, then pick off the flaring birds.

I learned this little tip last year. First guy would shoot, and always miss, and I then I'd give em hell while they were heading straight up.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 am

CutEm214 wrote:

Yup those teal love to rape mojos.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 am

Mud flats and shallow flooded vegetation.

Shallow is the key.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:12 pm

we don't see a lot of teal in the little stretch of river I hunt and there is rarely any rhyme or reason what they do and when the do it. Usually we see them right before or right at shooting time and it's generally a whoosh splash. We hunt a winding river most of the time when teal are around and they tend to be on you before you know it and we find it a lot easier to hit them on the rise after they land. Most folks around here won't allow a bird to work all the way in. 45 years ago when I started duck hunting my dad told me never to shoot until the lead bird was landed or nearly so, most of the time the birds in the air would still nearly have to touch water to get back up offering easier high percentage shots on things like teal than the normal mach II. I just don't consider a puddle duck decoyed unless you can get them to land most of the time. I don't believe we saw a single teal last season. We had some beaver breach a levy and flood a huge pasture opening week and ducks were all over it. I expected teal, gadwall and some mallards, but it was nearly all spoonies, no teal and a few mallards. The first duck we shot over that flooded pasture with ankle deep water was a canvasback drake that came into our spread of mallard and wigeon floaters and a bilge pump decoy.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 am

I'm getting fired up already. :)

How many decoys you folks using for Teal?
zpstl321
hunter

Postby WFrierson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Almost a month away here in Oxford and I can not wait!!! But on a serious note what do yall experienced teal hunters find more appealing to the birds? A small spread (4-6) medium (12-18) or a big spread around 36? And I know what I consider a big spread isn't even close to what some people consider big but 12 usually my largest spread. Also low brass 20ga #6 enough for these little rockets or what? Thanks in advance!
WFrierson
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting