Teal Hunting Tips! Anyone got any?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Teal Hunting Tips! Anyone got any?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 pm

My mobile teal spread is five big duck decoys and a spinner. My semi-permanent one is probably three dozen decoys and two spinners. The spinners are the real key in either instance, and the bigger spread mostly show for my guest guns.

And I do all of my duck hunting with Kent Upland steel 2 3/4" 20ga 5s, think it leaves less steel in the meat than 6s or 7s.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby WFrierson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Preciate it. We've got at least four spinners well be using and maybe more if my buddy from Starkville comes up. But I was thinking I'll probably put 24 to 30 deeks out teal and suzies, where we're going to be hunting will be no problem to tote them we'll literally just pull the truck up and go to throwing them probably. And I would shoot #5's at them but the largest Winchester makes in there cheap low brass target and dove shells is #6 and they're about half the price of any other cheap steel shell. Plus Wal Mart probably won't start carrying any other steel til October or so. But I excited to see how it goes, I've never hunted early teal and there are already some down here so I hope it goes well. You think we could have to many spinners or the more the merrier?
WFrierson
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

CutEm214 wrote:
montana bound wrote:3. Leave the spinning wing mojo crap at home. The birds my come to see it but have always flared when they get close. Used one and 7 flocks in a row flared, blew the damn thing of the stake with a load of 4's and every flock after that dropped in with feet down.

Maybe in Montana...but anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon teal will almost always drop right on top of a Mojo, and that includes the regular season. Given that the OP is in Mississippi, better charge those batteries...

Mojos are like magnets for teal down here in Texas.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 am

Crazy Matt wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:
montana bound wrote:3. Leave the spinning wing mojo crap at home. The birds my come to see it but have always flared when they get close. Used one and 7 flocks in a row flared, blew the damn thing of the stake with a load of 4's and every flock after that dropped in with feet down.

Maybe in Montana...but anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon teal will almost always drop right on top of a Mojo, and that includes the regular season. Given that the OP is in Mississippi, better charge those batteries...

X2

We run at least 4 teal spinners during early season for sure!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 am

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:

X2

We run at least 4 teal spinners during early season for sure!

If they work down there for you then great.
In Jersey they had been over used and the birds new it they would buzz in but not commit and drop in .
I dont shoot birds that are not lock up and commited. Locked up at 10-15 yards with feet down is the whole idea of hunting over the spread and spinners did not work for me.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:43 pm

I use my Dove MOJO, only winger I own. I use 2 3/4 inch #6's. Find the birds and the mud! I have 4 dozen teal rigged texas style(long before they came up with that name) and I use some or all depending on the walk! Not distance, depth of mud!!!!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jellett13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 pm

WFrierson wrote:Preciate it. We've got at least four spinners well be using and maybe more if my buddy from Starkville comes up. But I was thinking I'll probably put 24 to 30 deeks out teal and suzies, where we're going to be hunting will be no problem to tote them we'll literally just pull the truck up and go to throwing them probably. And I would shoot #5's at them but the largest Winchester makes in there cheap low brass target and dove shells is #6 and they're about half the price of any other cheap steel shell. Plus Wal Mart probably won't start carrying any other steel til October or so. But I excited to see how it goes, I've never hunted early teal and there are already some down here so I hope it goes well. You think we could have to many spinners or the more the merrier?

I WILL be there. Sounds like someone has already done some scouting without me?
jellett13
hunter

Postby WFrierson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 pm

ITS GETTING CLOSER BOYS!!
WFrierson
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Best advice I can offer if you're not going to let them land and spook them up is learn how to swing your gun. REALLY fast!
m.teeter
hunter

Postby jquest » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Teal are simple...Use 6-8 decoys close to the bank in two pods...Spinner or no spinner does not matter
if you are where the ducks want to be...#4 shot helps to correct shooter errors...lol Teal come out of the ponds
and shallow creeks in Hyde county,,,set up outside these areas in shallows. Aim for the banded ones!!! And
bring plenty of bug spray along your Pamlico Beach Moccasins...(boots)

Johnny Quest
Pamlico River Hunter :welcome:
jquest
hunter

Postby codum » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 pm

When the Bluewings are in your area you better go hunting, I hunt at (*edit by mod.) Farms in Egypt AR.. We have been wearing the teal out since the first day of the season. They are on facebook and post daily the harvest with pictures. Again, best tip is to be out hunting when they are there, our experience is when we get a bunch of Bluewings we got to hunt them quick as they only stick around for a few days before heading further south.
Attachments
9.9.12 limit of bw teal.JPG
9.9.12 limit of bw teal.JPG (72.69 KiB) Viewed 404 times
"We Farm for Ducks" in Egypt Arkansas.
codum
hunter

Postby mudbud23lt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Decoys!!! how can a hunter place a number on how many decoys he uses...if i carry 12 then get out and need more guess what i dont have em.... carry every thing you got from mallard hens and gadwalls to 3 to 4 dozen teal You dont have to use them all but da@# better be prepaired than wish you would have brought them! MOJOS are a must for teal they will drop out of the sky with the landing gear down!! 2,3,4 of them works great find a cove if you are on a lake and set up the area with multiple groups spread through out put you buddys on a group and you on another make sure you are all safe from shooting each other that away when he misses it keeps coming down the cove and you got the opening covered...look for shallow water and veg. find were a creek comes out into a opening they will be using the creek like woodys it is a fly zone drop em as they come out...

teal are the easist bird to hunt take a kid they all ways come from the sky when you are taking the future out for a trip and remember learn your area! you only get out of it what you put into it and if your a weekend warrior well good luck!
mudbud23lt
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:58 am

jquest wrote:Teal are simple...Use 6-8 decoys close to the bank in two pods...Spinner or no spinner does not matter
if you are where the ducks want to be...

If you're where the ducks want to be, you can leave the decoys home, too. Spinners, decoys and calls are for when you're not where the ducks want to be. Which, it turns out, is quite often for most of us.

"Just sayin'."
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby WFrierson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Killed two more but gave up on them after looking for 30 minutes a piece.
Attachments
402598_3704341849111_1648229045_n.jpg
402598_3704341849111_1648229045_n.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 282 times
WFrierson
hunter

Postby tigerinfielder3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:09 am

Nice hunt...I always have fun killing Teal at Sardis...
tigerinfielder3
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting