New hunter

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

New hunter

Postby Bostonsboy7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:24 am

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and to duck hunting. I was wondering if anybody could answer some of my question. This year I'm going to start hunting near my house in the barnaget bay and I was wondering what calls and what decoys are most productive. Any input helps like I said I'm completely new to this. Thanks in advance
Tim
Bostonsboy7
Newb

Re: New hunter

Postby bkmaine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:11 am

I would recommend buying lower end equipment to start. You can still get good enough stuff and then once you change your mind or develop preferences you won't regret spending heaps of money at the start. I bought a Primos Original Wench mallard call for $15 and a dozen Flambeau Stormfront Mallard decoys for $20 (they were on sale) and did alright plus developed my likes and dislikes and learned what to look for in products (this past year was my first). Since then I bought a new call (RNT shortbarrel) and some more decoys (still Stormfront).

Don't cheap out on waders and camo though, I made a huge mistake there and was miserable for a couple of weeks in the cold...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:36 am

I like the Quackhead series of calls, they are the polycarb line that RNT produces. I learned on a J-frame and a Double J. As for deeks, see what you can find on craigslist for cheap and just use those to get started unless you are made of money, then we can all come up with a great shopping list of deeks for you :wink:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I use duck commander calls and GHG decoys, they work great
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby bookworm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

i use an old p.s olt duck call d-2 model and it works great and my decoys are flambu mallerds .
good luck hunting this year letus know how you do too.
bookworm
hunter

Postby chad3 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 pm

BGipson wrote:I like the Quackhead series of calls, they are the polycarb line that RNT produces. I learned on a J-frame and a Double J. As for deeks, see what you can find on craigslist for cheap and just use those to get started unless you are made of money, then we can all come up with a great shopping list of deeks for you :wink:

The j frame is a very good call. It was my back up call for opening day and glad I had it because my main call locked up. The j frame still called in plenty of ducks.
chad3
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 pm

For calls get any of the Quackhead series as stated above. They have a great sound and are a good value. Flambeaus are the best way to go for decoys, I still use them in my spread.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:00 pm

The rnt Quack head is a great first call. Really easy to blow and learn until you want to upgrade. The Flambeau Storm Front mallards are a great buy considering you can almost always get them for under 35 bucks or so a dozen. If you can find insulated waders under 150 that fit well and are warm it's a good buy. There is a brand called Hodgens or Higdens or something that make really good waders. Just recently had a pair give out after 5 or 6 years.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting