Puddler/Diver Question?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Puddler/Diver Question?

Postby MexicanDuck » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:43 pm

:help: I hunt mostly puddlers in my area but I see sevaral divers roaming around as well. I hunt out of a 12ft. jonboat, mostly ponds and backwaters
My usual decoy spread is as follows; Mallards and GW teal mixed up together and pintails a few yards away from them.
I recently purchased some Ringbill, Bluebill and Redhead decoys.
I have heard of stories where divers won't mix with puddlers.

Does anyone know which species like to mix or mingle with each other and which ones don't?
How can I set up my new spread?

All suggestions or comments are welcome!
Thanks!!!!

_MexicanDuck
MexicanDuck
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:54 am

as far as that goes i have had divers land in all mallard deks. but i would put your group of divers on one side and puddlers on the other and leave a pocket in the middle. let them make there mind up on where they want to land.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Ditto
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:55 pm

Most of my hunting is done on large resevoirs and back water areas of them. I have not seen red heads nor scaup in the " back water ". Not saying they don't, just not seen it. But I have seen ring necks. Try putting a few jacks out on the perimeter of your puddle duck spread, and use your scaup and red heads for a more open water set like quackerkiller said. Puddle ducks on one side divers on the other.
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:26 pm

What works for me is, I keep my puddlers close to shore stretching form right to left keeping both ends within range. Then I place two large teardrop groups of divers out in front, off the corners of the blind. As the teardrop thins, I run lines of singles or long lines out quite far with the wind, about 20 to 30 ft apart. Then I wait for the carnage to begin.

I can’t begin to tell you how many puddlers and divers I’ve shot using this kind of setup on the same day. Now there have been times when I’ve only had Mallards out and spanked the broadbills and vice-versa.

I’m not one for mixing up divers with puddlers; they may be side-by-side, but never mixed. If you have seen any of my pic’s, you will see I have a good number of mixed days. Chances are they were shot over just this spread I’ve described. Good luck Bro. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

diver

Postby marshwhacker » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:54 pm

we have a spot were there are hundreds of ringnecks and we don't hunt them much cause we have lots of puddlers but when we do feel like hunting them we throw out 3 dozen mallards cause we don't have any diver decoys but they seem to come in fine
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:21 pm

i do mallards on right out to thirty yards divers on the left out to 40-50yrds then my goose floater are out on the tip of my puddlers. one thing about divers is i know when we watch them on pool nine some puddlers and divers are together some arent. mallards dont seem to come to diver neerly as well as pintails. and widgeon and cans will mix right up you can watch widgeon steal food from the cans through binos
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:34 pm

All these guys's advice is fine but we dont have any other deeks besides mallards (1 or 2 gwt that we never use) and weve gotten scaup, rinknecks, and other divers in.

But since you have diver dekes i would do what everyone else said. 2 groups.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby MexicanDuck » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:52 am

Thanks for all the advice guys! This will really help out when the season arrives.
MexicanDuck
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:52 pm

in my experience mallards dont like to land over diver decoys(ie fly over the diver decoys to get to the hole) , so make sure u put them in right with the wing as not to screw up a mallard shot... just my .02
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:34 pm

:withstupid: Puddles don't like flying over divers to get to the hole, but divers will pour into both, so play the wind.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting