Building A Spread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Building A Spread

Postby A_Winnie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Duck season is approaching fast and I was wondering what kinds of decoys I could add to my all mallard spread to give it a little sizzle and get more duck to come in? Take in mind I hunt in mid Michigan. Any advise would be appreciated
2013-2014 Season
3 Canada Goose
A_Winnie
hunter

Re: Building A Spread

Postby apexhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm

The best species to add would be those that frequent your area or the water you hunt. While it is definitely not detrimental to have multiple species in a spread there would be little use to have something like pintails or teal if they are very rare in your area.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks and I've thought about adding teal in the early season
2013-2014 Season
3 Canada Goose
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm

I swear by teal decoys and mallard sleepers. I have had a flock of geese try and land in 2 dozen teal decoys so I believe they are magic. Last season, I used 4 sleepers for the first time and we had ducks swim around them. If you got pintail or shovlers in your area, I'd suggest them. The black and white colors can be seen from far away. I haven't tried coots but I hear a lot of good things about them. I'm no pro by any means but this is some of the advice I have been given by others on this site that has worked for me.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Jump » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:47 pm

If your looking for some variety in your spread GHG has a puddler pack that includes a drake and hen pintail, widgeon, and gadwall for about $40 but once again it all depends on whats in your area.
Jump
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for all the advise but what teals do you use green or blue wing
2013-2014 Season
3 Canada Goose
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:20 pm

A_Winnie wrote:Thanks for all the advise but what teals do you use green or blue wing

I use greenwing. As you can see from them numbers this year and last year, their population has greatly increased. But you'd have to look into what's in your area. Either would work. I also was told that having different sizes of deeks in your spread would create an illusion of movement in your spread.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm new to duck hunting but I think blue wing teals are more common here where I hunt
2013-2014 Season
3 Canada Goose
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby adv sask » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:07 pm

I am just waiting for my over sized divers to come in for my water spread. I have seen the divers around but never shot them, only reason to add them is visibility , I want the birds to key in on them in the water till they get close then find the mallard decoys to draw them in closer, then well you know.
adv sask
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Look for size differences, mix up magnum, super magnum, super duper magnum, and standards. This adds depth to your spread, not too many have this dimension in there spread. :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby honkerhuntin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:19 pm

here in NE oregon we get a good mix of puddle ducks. my spread consist of 3 dozen ghg life-size malards, 1 doz. ghg puddler pak, and a doz. mix of sleepers, resters and butt-up feeders. it seems to work well, i think anything you can do to imitate what is in your area is good.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm

im hunting in northern and southern IL, here we have a great variety of ducks and geese that pass through,esp in So Il. so i like to use about a doz malards, half doz woodies, a couple teal and a few widg. on top of that i use three mojos, two malard n one teal. i also use four malard wonder ducks it gives depth, numbers, variety and movemnet all in the same sread. im also thinking about a jerk cord this year. however ive read that using large numbers of geese sleepers and resters is money for malards and bigger ducks....i geuss il have to try that as well!!!
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Best duck decoys I have are my goose floaters. I would rather have more goose decoys than duck decoys and I use small spreads of 4-11 goose floaters. That has worked from N.WI to S.IL from Septemder to The end of January.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm

noweil wrote:Best duck decoys I have are my goose floaters. I would rather have more goose decoys than duck decoys and I use small spreads of 4-11 goose floaters. That has worked from N.WI to S.IL from Septemder to The end of January.

That's an interesting tactic. I got a couple of questions. Do you put out any ducks at all? Do you still blow a duck call when just using geese? And just because I'm interested, what brand of goose floaters do you have? Oh, are any of them sleepers? This could save space in my tiny boat taking a few geese instead of a bunch of ducks. :thumbsup:
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby noweil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I will often throw 2-3 duck decoys between where I sit and my goose decoys. I blow a duck call even when I don't have duck decoys out. My best looking goose decoys are my Big Foot floaters but I have been doing this a lot of years and used to use Flambeau geese and then G&H. When we hunt some streams with strong current we use Carry lite goose floaters because they will ride the current much better than any of the other brands. It doesnt matter they all kill birds.

I have a buddy who cant call ducks at all and can blow his goose call ok. He bought a little Carstens puddler a few years ago to hunt a public area with those of us that had marsh boats. His first season with the boat he killed 47 ducks and 11 geese just on the public site. All with 3 Flambeau goose floaters and 3 mallard decoys all with #4 steel at less than 25 yards. He killed more birds that season other places but that was his record on just that one public site with 6 decoy.

I own some sleeper duck decoys but no sleeper goose decoys. In the field or on the ice we been turning the feeder heads on our Flambeau shells around like they are sleeping since about 1989. They work good.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Black ducks, black ducks, black ducks. The contrasting color as the morning rises makes them noticable from a long way. And the goose idea is a good one as well.
send the dog
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 am

we started using black ducks instead of mallard hens last season with great results. Sometimes white shows up better and the light conditions on other days, it's black. That's why so many people swear by using the black and whites, the diver decoys for visual attractors. I've shot more mallards over goldeneye decoys than mallard decoys out here in the west on the snake river. The added visibility of a black duck gives me the light and dark with the mallard decoys, the light grey and white on the drakes and the dark on a black duck. We don't have any black ducks around here, but the mallards didn't seem to care.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:33 pm

I live in CT and just bought some used teal decoys. Would using them in late season long after all teal would have migrated south be detrimental? My main purpose of putting them out is to increase the size of my spread as I do not own many decoys. Thanks,
mosherd1
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting