new hunter teal question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

new hunter teal question

Postby teal12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:25 am

I have been scouting a small faem pond and due to the dry weather we have very few that have any water at all. i have seen both blue and green wing teal here as well as mallards. the pind is about five feet deep in the middle and about fourty yards wide and surrounded by brush on one side and open pasture on the other. my question is would it be benificial to put out some wood ducks as well as teal and mallards and which teal should i use or both. Any decoy layout pics or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
teal12
hunter

Re: new hunter teal question

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 am

Just throw out dozen and half dekes... Teal and mallards.. Only use the hens and ur good to go... Put out a teal mojo and they will dive right in
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 am

Okay i have heard tht dove mojos work if i dont have a teal. and does it matter if i use gwt or bwt
teal12
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:23 pm

teal12 wrote:Okay i have heard tht dove mojos work if i dont have a teal. and does it matter if i use gwt or bwt

I used my mojo dove for ducks last year and it worked fine. Problem is the pole it sits on is short for using in a pond or marsh... I'm thinking about trying to rig up an extension on mine.
luie b
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Okay and does it matter which teal i use.
teal12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm

No. Greenwing, bluewing makes no difference. But they could see big duck decoys farther and will toll to them same as teal.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm

luie b wrote:
teal12 wrote:Okay i have heard tht dove mojos work if i dont have a teal. and does it matter if i use gwt or bwt

I used my mojo dove for ducks last year and it worked fine. Problem is the pole it sits on is short for using in a pond or marsh... I'm thinking about trying to rig up an extension on mine.

Use some small EMT (metal conduit) from an electrical supply or something like Lowe's or Home Depot and duct tape...makes a perfect extension for mojos...can easily be painted to blend in as well. It is fairly light and will last for years.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the info. Is there any way i should set up i plan on shoting drom the north side where there is the most cover. how should i put out my decoys.
teal12
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Dozen or less, depending on the size of the groups. Very rarely does it matter because they will just rocket in for a look or two and then may land or just fly off. But when they land they are already down and in the decoys before you know what happened. Also don't let cover be too much of a guide, you can always create cover. The wind should really be your guide. Unless this pond is less then 20 yards across all the way around, then it shouldn't matter much. :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby dog walker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

apexhunter wrote:
luie b wrote:

Use some small EMT (metal conduit) from an electrical supply or something like Lowe's or Home Depot and duct tape...makes a perfect extension for mojos...can easily be painted to blend in as well. It is fairly light and will last for years.

X2 on the conduit,that's what I use.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Limit Outdoors » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm

We would put out about a dozen teal dekes, green or blue doesn't matter, plus 6 hen mallards for visability
Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Limit-Outdoors/316184991810335?ref=ts

or on Twitter @LimitOutdoors
Limit Outdoors
hunter

Postby teal12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

so do bwt ans gwt stay in the same group or di they stay seperate.
teal12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:21 pm

They sometimes mix in the air, as well as on the water, but you're over thinking it. The teal aren't going to care what's down there, as long as it looks like ducks.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby teal12 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:17 am

Okay. thanks for the info. lije i said i am new to this and dont want to do sometbing to make my first hunt a totsl fluke when i could get the opinions of others that know what they sre doing.
teal12
hunter

Postby Cul D' Canard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Wood duck decoys won't hurt but are not really necessary. A few standard size mallard or teal decoys should do the trick. I would suggest placing a few dekes on the shore, and you might consider rigging two or three dekes on a jerk line on calm days.
CDC
Simple truths are the hardest to come by.
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting