Spray on Rubber for Decoy Weights?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Postby luie b » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I was just rigging up my decoys for this year and noticed the decoy weights knock the crap out of the paint and was thinking of a way to avoid this. Other than a slotted decoy bag I was thinking about using that rubber stuff that that Bily Mayes guy endorsed and spray all the weights with it. Think it would work because it does say the stuff's waterproof.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Re: Spray on Rubber for Decoy Weights?

Postby renegadeduck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 pm

they make a rubber dip as well. its for dipping tool handles in but i have heard of people dipping anchors. i have never done it but seems like a good idea
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm

You might want to research if it would stick to lead weights. Have you tried the old trick of clear coating your deeks? I've pretty much given up on protecting paint on my decoys. I figure if I have enough of them set out, I don't think the ducks will notice. I think it's more of a comforting factor for me knowing my decoys look pretty. This is an interesting topic though. I'd like to see where it goes. Maybe a new line of decoy weights.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:12 pm

I plasti-dipped the weights for my carved blocks with the tool handle stuff, and it's held up for roughly a decade with no sign of letting go.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 am

It's called Plasti-Grip and is available at Home Depot, among other places. I make a modified mushroom anchor (muffin tin) with a wire loop that I can snub around the nose of the keel. Still, the anchors will rub and chip adjacent blocks. A can of Plasti-Grip will coat approximately 36 of these weights and seems to help a bit.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:29 pm

I dipped a bunch of weights 15 years ago and they are still holding up well. One can of plastic dip will do a lot of weights.

renegadeduck wrote:they make a rubber dip as well. its for dipping tool handles in but i have heard of people dipping anchors. i have never done it but seems like a good idea
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 pm

The plasti-dip also comes in a spray can just like regular spray paint.
The spray version may work better for certain kinds of weights that are harder to dip like strap weights.
I could see this working. I would do a test weight first to check for adhesion as well as to make sure it doesn't rub and leave black marks on your decoys. Especially if you use the Billy Maze product(flex seal?).
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

Kasilofchrisn wrote:The spray version may work better for certain kinds of weights that are harder to dip like strap weights.

I don't use strap weights, so I can't say for sure, but I would think that dipping or spraying these weights wouldn't make much sense. Wouldn't the constant bending and shaping of the weight crack the coating and cause it to peel?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Kasilofchrisn wrote:The spray version may work better for certain kinds of weights that are harder to dip like strap weights.

I don't use strap weights, so I can't say for sure, but I would think that dipping or spraying these weights wouldn't make much sense. Wouldn't the constant bending and shaping of the weight crack the coating and cause it to peel?

Frank

That's why i suggested trying a test weight.
I do know it is a rubberized coating and rubber has a lot of flexibility and give to it.
OK so now I will head to the garage and do a test spray on a strap weight.
Once dry I will test it by bending and flexing itg many times and report back.
Might even take some pictures.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:17 am

Here's what I am using for my test.
Tanglefree brand 4oz strap weights.
Plastidip in a spray can.
uploadfromtaptalk1345616259742.jpg

And here I am painting them.
uploadfromtaptalk1345615984878.jpg

The unpainted weight will be the control.
It will be bent just as many times and photographed just like the other two.
Once they are dry tomorrow I will start testing them.
Probably bend them 100 times with pics every 25 or so.
uploadfromtaptalk1345615906743.jpg

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

Nice job, Kasilofchrisn! Appreciate you're taking the time! :beer:

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Well I first had to touch up the spray where the cords I used. To hang them stuck.
Tested the first by rubbing the weight on an old decoy.
It did rub the paint off just a bit on the edges of the feather details.
Them the rubber coating started to rub off.
uploadfromtaptalk1345683975832.jpg

It definetly needs the lead to be roughed up a bit for better adhesion. Maybe a wire brush or some mild acid to etch it.
Use caution and proper PPE to minimize lead exposure from the dust.
I bent it 50 times back and forth.
The lead finally started to break. I forgot how soft pure lead really is. And they are not normally ment to be bent this many times in a row.
uploadfromtaptalk1345683975832.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345683930059.jpg

Overall it did work and would be better than plain lead.
It would work better if you roughed up the lead a bit first.
A second coating would also help.
This was done with plastic dip brand from a spray can.
the cheap as seen on tv brand may or may not work as well.
I know plasti dip brand is made for tool handles etc.
The Billy Maze brand is a leak stop product.
I do think it would work better on other weight styles.
Again if you rough the lead up a bit first so it adheres better.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Mholland » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

I bought the pre-coated strap weights several years ago when I bought all my new G&H decoys. They lasted about 4-5 years and started peeling from all the constant bending. I would think the DIY stuff will do the same. Really helped protect the paint though.
Mholland
Newb

Postby luie b » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:53 am

I came up with a better idea. With the regular 4 oz. decoy weights (the non strap kind) you can take an old garden hose and cut it into sections as long as the weight so that it covers the whole weight and then drill a hole in it to tie the weight in. With these they're way more cushiony than the ones I sprayed with rubber so I think this is a way better alternative.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Why not just get keel grabber weights and put the whole issue to rest? We went that route a few years back and it has been the best thing we have done for saving decoys from getting beat up by weights.

We bought a mold from do- it molds and just melted our old decoy weights down. We were out the cost of a mold. This is the best approach I have seen for a guy that uses regular commercial style plastic decoys and hunts in diffrent depths from say inches to 20 feet.Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am

Glade I dropped in, got some really good Ideas from you guys. There ya go! learned sumthin new today.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting