Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
okduckdude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Who honestly finds Mallards to be a trophy? I know they are probably my least favorite duck to shoot.




Thats like saying supermodels aren't hot.......


Not really. Mallards are the most common duck in the world, and 2nd easiest to kill I would say after Teal. Actually, I'd put them even with teal as far as being easy to kill. I would rather shoot pintails, canvasbacks, scaup, wigeon, GE, gadwall...just about any other duck over a Mallard simply because there are tons of them.

Super models aren't the most common person in the world. Super models don't easily land in my bed. Super models aren't mallards.


Teal are harder to control with a call than mallards and harder to hit.

(Cans have to take the dumbest duck award.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm


Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Nebraska - platte river

Hands down, best mallard killing in the US...no questions asked

Kansas - fields/reservoirs

Arkansas - flooded timber

Missouri

Mississippi
User avatar
romeocadet08
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I will agree with you on the Sprig as a very majestic bird in flite and Teal are or can be like shooting little fighter jets in
the sky . With a group of 15 to 25 Mallard working the decoys ,Now that's hard to beat . All the rest are just Ducks unless you're
talking about some of the Salt water birds . Working hard to get your birds is the fun and just being a waterfowler is my kind
of Guy . They're ALL good so , here is a thumbs UP to you ,it's going to be a Great Season no mather what we get !
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby young pup » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
okduckdude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Who honestly finds Mallards to be a trophy? I know they are probably my least favorite duck to shoot.




Thats like saying supermodels aren't hot.......


Not really. Mallards are the most common duck in the world, and 2nd easiest to kill I would say after Teal. Actually, I'd put them even with teal as far as being easy to kill. I would rather shoot pintails, canvasbacks, scaup, wigeon, GE, gadwall...just about any other duck over a Mallard simply because there are tons of them.

Super models aren't the most common person in the world. Super models don't easily land in my bed. Super models aren't mallards.

NO NO NO NO NO! Mallards are probably the toughest puddle duck and definately not the easiest to kill behind teal. I have been sitting outside of my blind before and killed many teal, woodies, widgeon, gadwall, spoonbills. But never ever have i killed a mallard after getting burnt by it, they are smart and why do you think there are so many of them?! Because they are not easy to kill, if they were so easy to kill then there would be killed into endangerment levels
64 days until opening day of central illinois duck season!
young pup
hunter
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 am

romeocadet08 wrote:Nebraska - platte river

Hands down, best mallard killing in the US...no questions asked


Unless you prefer to rely on facts... :hi:

Eric Haynes wrote:Who honestly finds Mallards to be a trophy? I know they are probably my least favorite duck to shoot.


I do. My idea of the perfect limit is mallards/wood ducks. After years of hunting places where you won't find a mallard and shooting birds that rarely (if ever) respond to a call its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will. That aspect of it makes hunting that much more rewarding...being able to work them with the call and shoot them at close ranges feet down and dropping straight in. As far as how difficult they are to hunt, I find them to be one of the first birds to respond negatively to pressure and get weary...second to gadwalls who will circle for days. My coastal hunting experience agrees with Rick, cans or redheads are in the running for the terminally dumb award.
User avatar
CutEm214
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 am

CutEm214 wrote:... its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will. That aspect of it makes hunting that much more rewarding...being able to work them with the call and shoot them at close ranges feet down and dropping straight in. As far as how difficult they are to hunt, I find them to be one of the first birds to respond negatively to pressure and get weary...second to gadwalls who will circle for days...


Agreed. Would imagine it's all in what you prefer and location. If you enjoy the trick of workin' a bird with a call, then a greenhead is hard to beat. Some days they're easy... others, not. Have seen many a northern fella humbled by the "easy" mallard when he ventured a little further south. As for trophy, not sure how foolin' anything with a brain the size of a pea could actually be considered trophy huntin', but to each his own.

Edited to add: Band data doesn't lie. For sheer numbers, no one comes close to Arkansas for mallards.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
User avatar
quackerattacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:19 pm
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

young pup wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
okduckdude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Who honestly finds Mallards to be a trophy? I know they are probably my least favorite duck to shoot.




Thats like saying supermodels aren't hot.......


Not really. Mallards are the most common duck in the world, and 2nd easiest to kill I would say after Teal. Actually, I'd put them even with teal as far as being easy to kill. I would rather shoot pintails, canvasbacks, scaup, wigeon, GE, gadwall...just about any other duck over a Mallard simply because there are tons of them.

Super models aren't the most common person in the world. Super models don't easily land in my bed. Super models aren't mallards.

NO NO NO NO NO! Mallards are probably the toughest puddle duck and definately not the easiest to kill behind teal. I have been sitting outside of my blind before and killed many teal, woodies, widgeon, gadwall, spoonbills. But never ever have i killed a mallard after getting burnt by it, they are smart and why do you think there are so many of them?! Because they are not easy to kill, if they were so easy to kill then there would be killed into endangerment levels


If you honestly think mallards are a tough bird to kill than you have one of two things...or both. You either don't have a good population of them where you are or, you simply aren't doing what's needed to bring them down. Between a jerk rig and a call, they are by far the easiest duck for me to take. And should be for you if you hold good numbers.
Teal for us just pile in, whether you are calling or not as do a lot of mallards. What makes mallards easy for me is how slow they land, teal just rocket until splashdown.

And to clarify, Im not saying Im some great hunter, in fact Id put myself at maybe average. As stated by a Loisiana resident already, they aren't any harder down there than up here to bag.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:38 pm

I've shot and ate almost every species of duck. The Mallard is the one that looks the best on the table. A nice fat rice-fed Arkansas Mallard that's been stuffed with rice and roasted to perfection is what I want. I like breasted ducks and they all are pretty much the same when cooked that way but if you want a roasted bird...a mallard is the way to go. I suppose a canvasback or sprig would be fine as well but I don't get to shoot many of those.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 10581
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm

aunt betty wrote:I've shot and ate almost every species of duck. The Mallard is the one that looks the best on the table. A nice fat rice-fed Arkansas Mallard that's been stuffed with rice and roasted to perfection is what I want. I like breasted ducks and they all are pretty much the same when cooked that way but if you want a roasted bird...a mallard is the way to go. I suppose a canvasback or sprig would be fine as well but I don't get to shoot many of those.



Im still trying to figure out what this post has to do with the topic of the best states to shoot mallards in?
User avatar
ducksNgeese91
hunter
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 pm

If we're going to talk table appearance, ringnecks aren't called "butterballs," like the turkeys, for nothing. Prettiest roasted duck going.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Rick Hall wrote:If we're going to talk table appearance, ringnecks aren't called "butterballs," like the turkeys, for nothing. Prettiest roasted duck going.

Thank you! Ringnecks are my favorite duck to eat.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Rick ,you and Eric have lost your taste buds . I can't imagine what it would take to make a Ringneck taste good . With the
help of some foreign vino ,maybe ,but it would take a lot . I have been known ,to have cases for that kind of table-fare !
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:02 pm

3200 man wrote:Rick ,you and Eric have lost your taste buds . I can't imagine what it would take to make a Ringneck taste good . With the
help of some foreign vino ,maybe ,but it would take a lot . I have been known ,to have cases for that kind of table-fare !


Mallards are mealy to me. Say all you want about them tasting great, they dont here and they dont anywhere I've ever been. OK...not great. This is my opinion that they are trash ducks...not sure why it's a big deal?

I'll stick to shooting and eating woodies, teal, cans, wigeon, rings, gadwalls, and blacks and you can take all my park ducks.

I also shoot all of the other divers in my area, but not as much as I'd like to, still eat them all.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Ringnecks are so good here that my pick for our camp's top speck guide prefers them to all other ducks. But I just said they're the, "Prettiest roasted duck going." The fulvous and blackbellied whistling ducks get my vote for best tasting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:46 am

You fellas must be really good cooks , is all I can say . The guide in your camp must have teeth like a Alligator ,does he
get down on the floor and twist and turn while eating a Ringneck ? I once BBQ'ed a Ringneck after marinading the sucker
for 2 days in Italian dressing . I put the breast strips on the grill cooked it to med rare ,it looked really good , so I decided
to give the dog a bite .He shewed it for a while ,then he spit it out and went over and begain to licking his ASS just to get the
taste out .
You fellas need to try a Good Roasted Mallard ,Hmm , just melts in your mouth !

Rick , I believe the last sentence under your replies .
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 am

Ive probably shot close to 1000 mallards in my short time as a hunter(16 years). Thats all we used to shoot when I was a youth, before I realized how great other ducks were to eat. Used to shoot a lot of them in ND while I was stationed there only because I only seemed to have them or spoonies in the spread.

I still stick by what I said before, Ill pass on the mallards.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:48 pm

3200 man wrote:You fellas must be really good cooks , is all I can say . The guide in your camp must have teeth like a Alligator ,does he
get down on the floor and twist and turn while eating a Ringneck ? I once BBQ'ed a Ringneck after marinading the sucker
for 2 days in Italian dressing . I put the breast strips on the grill cooked it to med rare ,it looked really good , so I decided
to give the dog a bite .He shewed it for a while ,then he spit it out and went over and begain to licking his ASS just to get the
taste out .
You fellas need to try a Good Roasted Mallard ,Hmm , just melts in your mouth !

Rick , I believe the last sentence under your replies .


And I believe you must be an incredibly bad cook.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:52 pm

CutEm214 wrote:After years of hunting places where you won't find a mallard and shooting birds that rarely (if ever) respond to a call its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will.


Found that line resonating in my mind this morning while out shooting teal that failed to turn to the call much more often than not. (With a camera, guys, with a camera.) No question, mallards are the caller's duck.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:After years of hunting places where you won't find a mallard and shooting birds that rarely (if ever) respond to a call its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will.


Found that line resonating in my mind this morning while out shooting teal that failed to turn to the call much more often than not. (With a camera, guys, with a camera.) No question, mallards are the caller's duck.


Rick - I'm hoping you are gonna share those with us soon! I need it bad. Scouting last weekend indicated that the river hasn't hit the year's first swell to fill up the spots that I was intending to hunt the teal opener. :crying:
User avatar
CutEm214
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:After years of hunting places where you won't find a mallard and shooting birds that rarely (if ever) respond to a call its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will.


Found that line resonating in my mind this morning while out shooting teal that failed to turn to the call much more often than not. (With a camera, guys, with a camera.) No question, mallards are the caller's duck.



Rick,
Do you prefer the hen call or the drake peep when working teal? Ive had mixed results but I think I've had a better results with the hen call.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:59 pm

CutEm214 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:After years of hunting places where you won't find a mallard and shooting birds that rarely (if ever) respond to a call its nice to hunt a bird that "plays the game", if you will.


Found that line resonating in my mind this morning while out shooting teal that failed to turn to the call much more often than not. (With a camera, guys, with a camera.) No question, mallards are the caller's duck.


Rick - I'm hoping you are gonna share those with us soon! I need it bad.


Here ya go:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Rick,
Do you prefer the hen call or the drake peep when working teal? Ive had mixed results but I think I've had a better results with the hen call.


Me, too. I've more faith in kacking than whistling.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Re: Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Rick,
Do you prefer the hen call or the drake peep when working teal? Ive had mixed results but I think I've had a better results with the hen call.


Me, too. I've more faith in kacking than whistling.


What call do you use? While cheap and nasty sounding, the primos BWT teal call has turned quite a few teal around for me. Though I can't really compare my teal hunts with you boys down south. They are here for maybe 2 weeks tops.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23 pm

That Primos was once my pick of the over-the-counter teal calls, too, but it wasn't loud enough to suit me, so I started experimenting with cutting down "mallard" call reeds and was happier with a teal tuned Quackhead J-frame for a while. Then I was passed a MVP Butch bored out for a fellow wanting a really loud hunting call that didn't make the cut for my big duck hunting, but it did, with teal tuning, make the super magnum teal call I've used the past several years.

The relatively new Haydel Big Blue (not their old squeaker) is best over-the-counter teal call I've heard to date. Though I run it a little different than Rod does in the youtube demos.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13413
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Rick Hall wrote:That Primos was once my pick of the over-the-counter teal calls, too, but it wasn't loud enough to suit me, so I started experimenting with cutting down "mallard" call reeds and was happier with a teal tuned Quackhead J-frame for a while. Then I was passed a MVP Butch bored out for a fellow wanting a really loud hunting call that didn't make the cut for my big duck hunting, but it did, with teal tuning, make the super magnum teal call I've used the past several years.

The relatively new Haydel Big Blue (not their old squeaker) is best over-the-counter teal call I've heard to date. Though I run it a little different than Rod does in the youtube demos.


Thanks for the info Rick.

I remember seeing the Haydel Teal call, but completely forgot about it. I'll have to pick it up.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cujo1 and 3 guests

cron